Protein powder

Options
I just went into Nutrition House for whey protein but I came out confused what to buy. I don't need anything super heavy duty. I work out at Curves and it's not like I want to be on the cover of Muscle & Fitness but I want to fuel my muscles properly. I've deduced that whey is the way (wow that wasn't intended lol) to go for me as I don't like the taste of soy.

But now the question is what is best? The lady at the store wasn't very helpful because I felt like she was just upselling me on something I didn't need (she knew nothing about my exercise schedule or what I eat yet she knew what I needed?)

I saw things like Myofusion Probiotic, Muscle Milk, Isoflex, Isonatural. Lean Whey, and Precision All Natural.

Which one is best? I'm more interested in performance than taste but taste isn't unimportant. Is stuff that says isolate better?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey in chocolate would be my suggestion here.

I'm not saying it's the best, but it's readily available, good tasting (always relative here), mixes well, priced decent, and is a trusted brand.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Anybody else want to whey in? Get it?
  • KelJohnson
    Options
    I use Arbonne protein powder. Good taste and mixes with water.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MyProtein impact whey protein unflavoured works for me, i'm not to bothered about taste!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Compare labels and prices....I found whey at wal-mart with exact same carb/protein grams, and it's 1/3 the price....may not taste the greatest, but isn't bad either. I love to add to greek yogurt and some fresh berries from the farmer's market.
  • ron81008
    ron81008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize, All Natural Elite Whey Protein Isolate and it is Aspartame Free! the rich chocolate is delicious, in my opinion.

I always check the web for best prices before buying, bodybuilding.com is generally the cheapest.

Hope that helps.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use organic hemp protein by Nutiva and I mix it with a banana + 1/2 cup almond milk + 2.5 tablespoons raw cacao powder (and a handful of ice in the blender.) It's really good, 20 grams of protein and 16 grams of fiber.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Look for one that is mostly protein with minimal added carbs or fat, 5g or less is a good target. Taste will be highly variable.
  • IPAfan5
    IPAfan5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Chocolate and Cookies n Cream are my favorite flavors. It is reasonably priced and tastes good mixed with either water or milk.