More Than 2 Hours of Cardio Bad for You?

Options
13»

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT to do 2 hours of cardio? I mean, it isn't going to hurt you. Go ahead if that's what floats your boat. I like a good all-day bike ride now and then. An all-day hike with a few breaks is normal. I wouldn't go doing 2 hours of spinning class.
  • WhatHayleyEats
    Options
    If you have the time, and you enjoy your cardio activities, then by all means do as many hours as you like. I'm positive that professional athletes, dancers, bike messengers and others in very active careers are getting way more than 2 hours of cardio work done every day.
    This.

Mm-hm. Agree 100% Exercise is enjoyable and fun. Just don't hurt yourself!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Gee I seldom take bike rides less than two hours. Some mornings I get up and Kick box for an hour and then in the evening ride my bike for 2 to 3 hours.

I have been on my bike over 6 hours at a time. I have never ever thought I was being hurt by going over two hours. And I am old.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    for most people, two hours of cardio is excessive, even if they are trying to lose weight. unless you are training for a marathon, iron man, century bike ride, or other type of endurance event, that much cardio can be counter productive.
    So marathon TYPE training is not a good way to achieve fitness and weight loss? Good grief!

I don't think it's that in particular but more that if your primary goal is to maximise improvements to body composition (ratio of fat to muscle) there are more efficient ways of doing it than many hours of cardio per day.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    OP - what types of cardio are you doing?
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my fifth marathon...probably my last for a while, LOL...I certainly do go over 2 hours of cardio on my "long run" days - but that's only once a week, and I only end up doing this for the last 2.5 mos of training (I'm not a superathlete, can't manage more than one marathon a year). There's no way I could do that all year long - it would break me. Even Hal Higdon, the marathon training guru, advises in his books that you don't reallly NEED to do that much training year long and be in good shape. In fact, you'll probably get injured and/or burned out. I would really limit those 2 hour sessions, as doing that repeatedly is too hard on the body. Just my two cents :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    for most people, two hours of cardio is excessive, even if they are trying to lose weight. unless you are training for a marathon, iron man, century bike ride, or other type of endurance event, that much cardio can be counter productive.
    So marathon TYPE training is not a good way to achieve fitness and weight loss? Good grief!

for an over weight person that is starting out and looking to shed weight and build a basic level of fitness, i would not recommend they start on some couch to ironman program.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Marathon training is very hard on the body and doesn't necessarily lend itself to as much weight loss as people think. To perform the training effectively, you can't have a very big calorie deficit. Calorie deficit drives weight loss. Ergo, marathon training doesn't always produce weight loss.

Now, if it is someone who is new to running and fitness in general, just the increased activity can help body composition. Also, if the person is only training with a goal of finishing, and not a PR time, and doesn't necessarily care about performance, you can train at a higher deficit and lose weight, but it's going to be miserable.

Also, its really not the best way to achieve general fitness- it's hard on your joints, usually doesn't have integrated strength training, and mentally exhausting. Time would be better spent with a variety of different types of workouts. Marathon training really should be left for people training to run marathons. In that case, the end justifies the means.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than one size fits all advice from a "fitness consultant..."
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    The advice is based on the Tremblay MS et al study

link: http://www.springerlink.com/content/k71u100x4310337m/

The study compared the hormonal response to low intensity cardio over 40, 80 & 120 minutes. The hormonal environment turns catabolic at around the 120 minutes mark (meaning greater likelihood of breaking down muscle tissue which you generally want to avoid.) In addition the ratio of anabolic hormones to cortisol was highest at the 40 minute mark but lowest at the 120 minute mark.

This study incidentally is routinely distorted by some people to say that low intensity cardio of any duration should be avoided when dieting because it is catabolic...

The OP said she is cooling down every hour to recuperate, this study does not apply. And what's a little cortisol gonna do anyway, she's not a bodybuilder, she won't lose her precious gains. As long as she's on cardio she is burning fat. More cardio, more burn.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My auto response was b0ll0cks!

I'm a cardio junkie, less than 2 hours is boring! Give me 8, 24, 40 hours of cardio, Muhahahahaha :)

Why is no one talking intensity here? What zone are you working out? The other key issue is refueling, and macro-nutrient ratios.

If working out that long is a problem, why are builders and gardeners not skin and bone?

Think before you type ;)
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    More than two hours seems like a lot to me... Try not to overdo it. :-)