Poll of the Day: Do You Actually Read Nutrition Labels?

Options

Replies

• lshaunessy
    Options
    Always.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I always try to make sure that I read the food nutrition labels...

I do not like to buy anything without a nutrition label...
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, much to my boyfriend's dismay. I also calorie count at restaurants and take forever to order :)

This! Plus grocery shopping takes a lot longer now too. Though I don't know if it's really to his dismay, cause he likes my ever shrinking waitline and tighter behind ;)
  • IPAfan5
    IPAfan5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes, only when buying new brands or new foods to make sure their nutrition matches up with my regular foods.
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes! I always look at the calories on something. I frequently look at the calories before I even purchase things from the store!
  • KMissyD
    KMissyD Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do now. Not to mention its the reason I've put a lot of things back because of the label.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yep, all the time, don't even think about it.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Always. I can't have certain ingredients, so I always scour the ingredient label at the very least. But lately, I am trying to pay more attention to the macronutrient balance in the foods I choose, as well as sodium content (although this one still eludes me... ugh, gotta have my salt). You can fit just about anything you like into a balanced diet, but being mindful of what all goes into those foods helps me plan out my days better. For instance, if I want potato chips some day (like today!), I find a brand and flavor (and package size) where the nutrition breakdown satisfies my cravings without completely sacking my goals, and I will choose more vegetables, lower sodium, and lean protein when supper time comes around tonight.

One of the things that really appealed to me when I was first checking out MFP was the bar code scanning feature in the iPhone app. It's not always 100% accurate, but it is generally close (and I can make corrections if I need to), and by scanning something in while I'm shopping, I can "try it on" and see how it would fit into my day.
  • ntlpeterson
    ntlpeterson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do. There are a lot of staple item that I buy that I know roughly the amount of calories of. Right now my husband and I are not eating corn syrup and so I've spent a little extra time at the store reading ingredients labels.
  • foxyxxx
    foxyxxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just try to buy as many basic ingredient products as possible.

But of course if I buy something prepared and packaged then I read the label religiously.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS, anything prepared, I check sodium and sugar, and basic ingredients
    Calories and carbs too.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Always, half the time it ends up putting it back on the shelf.
    I mostly check for calories, sugar & fat.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sure do!!! If not, how can you expect to get the results you are looking for?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I read every single thing on every nutrition label of every new product I buy. Often, I'll even use an app I have to calculate the macro percentages of the info before purchasing.

And I'll usually go back and double check the labels of products I buy all the time every few months or so since nutrition info is constantly being updated and changed. And I recheck the nutrition every single time they update the packaging in any way, since those two changes usually go hand in hand.
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    always - i spend hours at the supermarket lol!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine ingesting something where I didn't read the ingredients to see what was at least supposed to be in there...

...but honestly, most of the food I eat doesn't come with a nutrition/ingredients label.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Yep, with everything!
  • cristaPsanchez
    Options
    Yes! I have been reading them ever since I took a nutrition class in college. I cannot believe how much junk there is in food, especially added sugar!
  • Joneisha07
    Options
    Absolutely! i look for calories and sodium content most of all.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do read the labels. My focus tends to be on low calorie, high fiber and low fat. I also drive my husband crazy when we are at a restruant because I always want to see the nutrition value before going to a restaurant and if they don't have the nutritional value on their food i will not go.