Poll of the Day: Do You Actually Read Nutrition Labels?

Options

Replies

• liljeanne
    liljeanne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's my new obsession :) It's an education to be sure.... yogurt - 20 grams of sugar ??? I live now for what I call "free" condiments lol such as my salsa and hot sauce. Today I got all excited because I found a pocket flat bread with that I could actually bring home and stuff with lettuce , chicken, cheese and still stay within my goal. Laughing Cow cheese mmmm don't get me started :flowerforyou:
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    ummm, YES!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    These days, I always read labels. It's amazing what is advertised as healthy when the label says different. For me, it's not just calories, but the quality and cleanness of the ingredients.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I never used to, but now I do. Now that I actually know how to read them and what to look for, I check everything at the grocery store before I even put it in my cart.
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    I always read them. When I eat out I also try to find places that provide their nutrition info too. I don't like surprises when I log my food on MFP!
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS!!!!

21604338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i check for ingredients, i have intolerances to certain foods so i try to limit my intake of vinegar and other acidic foods.
    i obsess over calorie counting as well (ed) so i constantly check the labels to find the least caloric breads, pastas, etc.
    and i like finding stuff that doesn't have pure crap in it
  • trishaknighton
    Options
    most definitely
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I do! Ever since I started making healthy choices, I vow not to put something in my body (unless its on my cheat day and then that goes flying out of the window) unless I look at the nutrition label. I eat much healthier now!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I even scour the internet to find the actual nutritional information of things from the bakery/ take out etc, I like to know exactly what is going in then I can record it accurately
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yup! I particularly look for the dreaded high fructose corn syrup (which is in freakin' everything) so I can select only the products that don't have it (ok, I'm not always successful there, but we try!). I avoid breads & snacks that have enriched wheat flours. And like many other posters, I like to see how much is in a serving and how many calories that will "cost" me. I prefer to purchase "more bang for your buck" foods (I can eat a lot without damaging my calorie counts). I also prefer "real" ingredients (no fake fats, sugars, etc.), so if I can't pronounce it, I often (not always - sigh) won't buy it.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yep, I even read the ingredients most of the time.
  • Pepperchild
    Pepperchild Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Religiously
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You betcha! If I had read labels in the first place, I wouldn't be in the fix I am now. And, the reason I'm in better shape today than I was a year ago is because I know exactly what's going in my mouth, good or bad, and I am now accountable for it all.
  • sdai3
    sdai3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have since I became a vegetarian 10 years ago. I read the labels on other people's food too... i'm just curious. Sometimes I do it at work to little debbie cakes just to gross myself out that people actually eat those. Bleh.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Yep, look at and read every label, even the ingredients.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • cindyjan
    Options
    It depends on what kind of mood I am in when I go shopping, sometimes I do an sometimes I don't. If I am trying something new I will read the label.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, about 95% of time. I specifically look for calories in addition to the things I track here in MFP (sodium, sugar, protein, etc.).
    Doing this has helped me alot!

I am not always as diligent in reading the ingredients (but am getting better). However, if the ingredients list takes up a huge section of the packaging I put it back, lol.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I've read the nutrition labels for a few years. I have food sensitivities so I have to read labels.