Eating too much? or too little?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have read numerous posts about people who eat junk with a deficit that lose weight, those who don't lose weight with calorie deficit, those who lose weight by counting carbs, and the list goes on.

On the other hand, I eat around 1200-1300 calores a day and do 60 minutes of cardio, everyday.

I have just started my healthy diet and it has been only around 5 days. Here are my stats as well, 20 years old, 5'5" and 180 pounds, pear-shaped (carry everything in thighs).

Due to the fact there are so many different ways, I don't really know if what I am eating/exercising is enough.

My workouts include HIIT, for example one minute walk, one minute sprinting, some days I will have incline walking/jogging, or take a cycle class, or do some ellyptical/stair master. Workouts are pretty mixed up everyday.

Here is the question: I know it's only been a week, but I am afraid that I won't lose any weight because I am eating too much? or exercising too little? I am always hungry for some reason and have to fight off temptations alot therefore I always worry about giving up very fast.

I know it was a super long kind of like a rant, but I am new to all this. I had lost a huge amount of weight in the past in a short time frame but a very unhealthy way that's why I gained nearly all of it back.

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    First, there is nothing to be afraid of. Try to do your best to let go of any reliance you might have on the idea that your success is measured by the scale...or at least solely the scale.

Pick a calorie goal and be consistent with measuring and logging. In a couple weeks you should have some idea of how that's working out for you.

Having said that, I fear you may not be eating quite enough given your age and 60 min of cardio that can include HIIT, etc. If we take a look at your stats, given the mifflin st jeor equation, with moderate exercise, we come to about 1500 as a more comfortable number for weight loss.

Obviously that's just an educated guess. It's not like it works for everyone. But for my two cents, I'd suggest trying closer to 1400-1500 cal/day with adequate macronutrients to support any fitness goals you might have.
  • sarineb12
    Options
    Thank you!! I will more into it! I appreciate your insight... I think 1200 may be a little for me because I am always hungry and crave actual good like meat bread and etc.. Thank you for the help though! :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exercising too little will never prevent weight loss, people lose weight lying in hospital beds.

If you're doing 500 calories a day of exercise (100 minutes, for the sake of example) then you're probably using ~2100 calories a day in total. You would lose weight eating 1500 calories, or 1800, as long as it's below the total used.

So try 1500 for 4 weeks, and adjust accordingly based on the weight change you see. 500 cals/day deficit is about 3 lbs/month.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I prefer the Krispy-Kreme diet. Works every time!
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I prefer the Krispy-Kreme diet. Works every time!
  • johnsnana
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't find that funny when people are actual asking for help. Go to the fun & game section & post there :o)
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I think 1200-1300 calories may be too little for you. I would up your calories based on your current weight & height. Try at least 1500 calories & cut back on carbs/sugars/breads & add more vegetables & lean protein like chicken breast or turkey breast
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Yes, mother.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    Yes, mother.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    Last time I checked, this was under "food & nutrition" not "forums for sarcastic kids".

Good luck losing weight if this is how you support others!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That's just it, a week is far too short a time to determine if you're making progress. Give it a month.

I know it can be frustrating but you have to have patience.
  • sarineb12
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion.. should I cut out all types of carbs? including multigrain breads and/or brown rice? because I do eat atleast one slice of organic multigrain bread and 1/2 cup cooked organic brown rice.. thanks for all the help! really appreciate it :)
  • sarineb12
    Options
    a week is too short. i need to be more patient and the results will come.. thanks for the push and encouragement :)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion.. should I cut out all types of carbs? including multigrain breads and/or brown rice? because I do eat atleast one slice of organic multigrain bread and 1/2 cup cooked organic brown rice.. thanks for all the help! really appreciate it :)

If you don't enjoy eating them, then I'd definitely cut them out. If you're wondering if there's a metabolic, fat-burning advantage to doing so, then the answer is no.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    what diet are you on? i would need to know that before suggesting what to eliminate or add :o)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna guess you're not eating enough. I'm your height and started at about the same weight (and I did not exercise 60 min/day) and MFP had me at 1600, I think. I lost a pound a week with very little difficulty.
  • sarineb12
    Options
    I do enjoy eating them...
  • sarineb12
    Options
    Just a typical healthy low calorie diet.. Hopefully be able to lose 2 pounds a week..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry and have intense cravings, then up your calories. You'll still lose weight.

That was the biggest reason this worked for me... I wasn't hungry. I was eating enough that I felt satisfied, but still eating below the total amount of calories my body burned in a day. I also had to wrap my head around the fact that the body is ALWAYS burning calories... that in a typical active day, I burn over 2000 calories, not just the 400 or so I burn while exercising.

But my point is... you might possibly lose weight faster if you eat the minimum. (But not always. Some people's weight loss slows down when they eat too little.) But it's far, far better to lose at a steady rate in a way you can sustain for the long haul than try to lose faster, get burnt out and quit.

Also, not what anyone wants to hear, but two pounds a week *might* be a little too ambitious. It's probably ok for the first few weeks or so, but as you get closer to your goal, you'll want to switch it to 1.5, then 1, then a half pound a week for the last 10-15 pounds.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Okay.....First off, I encourage and give advice based on what I know. Check out my other posts
    Second, what is wrong with a little humor? Everyone who reads this that has a brain will know that it is a joke. If ALL the humor was saved for the "Fun & Games" section, we'd all be bored out of our minds.
    Third, I am obviously wanting to know more on the post, which is why I posted on it, so I could keep up with it. How I do it is up to me. I am not a nutritionalist or a pt, I dont run 10 miles a day(which I am sure you probably do), so I am not in position to give any advice regarding this. And I actually have a very comical personality. If you dont, that is not my problem, but dont ridicule me like my mother would as if fun is not allowed. Guaranteed, at least one person smiled or laughed when they read that.
    So how bout you get off my tail about it, eh?