Who eats at night?

Options
I tend to eat most of my food after 5pm and I don't know why. This is when I am the hungriest. Anyone else and what can I do to stop this?

Replies

• Rachiebee7
    Rachiebee7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im terrible! its m downfall, i do really well all day even at work with temptations but as soon im home after my tea im looking for something sweet, then crisp etc! Ive been trying to calm it lately, its working but taking time!
    Just perservere xx
  • destinedwi
    Options
    I've been struggling with this as well. Although with me it's more of a fact that I have more calories left over and I don't want to go into starvation mode. So I do also tend to eat a lot of my calories after 5pm. One thing you can try is something I saw on extreme makeover. Split your calories into meals and eat them throughout the day. So if you are eating 1500 calories you could have 5 meals of 300 calories. I tried to start this today, but I'm still at 427 calories at 2 pm and I'm full so I guess it didn't work.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do! My biggest meal is always dinner. Usually between 500-1000 cals. Even if I've eaten a lot during the day. I even eat in bed sometimes. Its completely alright. What time you eat is really not important. You could have your entire day's calorie limit in one meal and it would still be ok. Don't worry about it. Just stick to your calorie allowance and you'll be fine.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am starving at night. I work mostly 2nd shift and when I get home from work (usually around 11:30 I grab something to eat.. Unfortunately this is where I gained most of my weight :noway: So I switched up my routine. I never been much of a breakfast person but I started to eat breakfast ( even if its a piece of toast or bagel with PB) eat something. then I would have 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day and found that I wasnt soo hungry anymore at night. If you still are hungry grab a yogurt (preferably greek) or a light snack. Make sure you are getting enough protein in throughout the day-it will fill you up. I just had surgery so I have been out of the picture for awhile now its time for me to get back on track myself. Good Luck- hope this helps.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't see any need to stop it. I build the extra snacks into my day and move on. There's no need to worry about when you eat as long as you're staying within your calorie goals.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm in bed and have just eaten all my food calories for the day. If I eat earlier during the day there's always the risk I'll get hungry again and want to eat some more so I save it until bedtime. Eat, surf, sleep. I've been doing this for decades and it works for me. :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Dinner every night is between 8:30 and 9pm!! It's never hurt me!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Do you need to stop it? Is it making you exceed your calorie goals? Is it having a detrimental effect on your lifestyle? Are you getting indigestion from eating late? If not, then perhaps there's no problem. It doesn't matter when you eat, as far as losing weight goes. I usually eat over half my calorie intake after 7 pm - my main meal of the day, plus snacks before I go to bed. It's working fine for me.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have no choice but to eat in the late evening. My husband and I walk through the door around 7:30pm, and dinner doesn't usually get done booking until like.. 830-900pm on good days. Bah. D:
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    My husband does that, I'm marginally better but I always have a snack in the evening.

I do think that you're probably ok if you are in your calories, the only thing for me was that I was a bit "binge-ish" some nights. I didn't like that so I worked on it over time.

The other thing that I would be concerned about is low blood sugar and things like that during the day, if you aren't eating at all or eating very sparsely.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat most of my food after 5pm and I don't know why. This is when I am the hungriest. Anyone else and what can I do to stop this?

There's no reason to stop it if you like it. I eat 2/3 of my calories (about 2200) between 6:30 PM and 9:30 PM and then straight to bed. Unless you have digestion or a medical reason (diabetic etc) there's no reason to not eat at night if you want to or prefer to.

My day goes like this:

6:30 am protein shake ~250 cals (I work out at 5 am)
    Noon-ish my lunch ~750 cals
    6:30 pm Dinner ~775 cals
    8:30 - 9:30 pm ~1400 cals then straight to bed.

Hasn't hampered my progess. Don't let the clock dictate your feeding times, eat whenever it works for you.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to stop eating after 5pm?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    for me? I hate the thought of blowing it so close to ending the day. I actually eat under sometimes..just to make sure I make it to the finish line. I have this fear of eating over...or seeing remaining calories number down to double digets
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Night eating and weight gain is only a myth. Eat when you are hungry
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    How to stop it? Don't. Just let it happen... eerr, as long as you're still within your calorie limits, that is. I mean, I eat late at night, sometimes even within a half hour of going to bed. Hasn't affected me at all. If anything, I sleep better because my tummy isn't keeping me up.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories after 5. I never give it a thought. If I have calories left then it's no issue for me.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I probably eat half of my calories after 6. If I dont get enough to eat, I wake up at 3 or 4 am hungry... so. thats what I do.
  • pepin1224
    pepin1224 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im guilty of doing this too, but not with the majority of my calories. I find the best way to avoid skipping meals and to have at least one snack during the day. (i often have toast with butter and hot sauce) It's important to never skip meals as it will just make you more hungry for the final meal of the day, which could result in overeating or eating late at night.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I graze at night, which I'm trying to reduce -- but honestly, the only reason I worry about it is because of the calories. For me, I need to eat in the morning, lunch and snacks to feel at my best, so no saving all my calories for night. If you don't need more of your calories earlier to feel at your best (there are some folks on here that swear by only eating a huge dinner), then who cares when you get your calories as long as they're nutritious?
  • Rogers1982
    Options
    I usually eat late at night. Drink too, but I just started myfitnesspal 7 days ago. I have changed what I eat at night and including a cardio , and lifting workout before i eat. I have lost 5 lbs in 7 days. Not too shabby. I still make sure I stay under my calories for the day though.