Clothing suggestions... help, nothing fits me!

Options
I have NO pants. I am a teacher. School starts next week and I have zero long pants that fit me. I have lost 45 pounds, and have gone from an 18 to something between a 10 and 12...

I am uncomfortable in my own body- weird. You would think I would be happy, but I am used to baggy clothes and am kind of miserable trying to find things that fit right.

I tried to go shopping a few days ago, looking for slacks that would be work appropriate. Nothing fits right! I have short legs, but am not "petite". 10 regulars fit in the hips, waist, etc., but are about 4 inches too long. Petites are too tight in the waist and hips, even a size 12. It was a complete disaster. I found 1 pair of pants that fit.

I guess I will have to have clothing altered. Has anyone else had clothing struggles? Any suggestions? Ugh. I hate shopping!

Thanks- I appreciate any suggestions. Brands that might fit well, etc.

Julie

Replies

• melindadunston
    Options
    Getting pants hemmed should be fairly cheap. Do you know anyone that would do it for you for cheap. That would be my best suggestion.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Do they have to be pants? While you're losing weight, it might be easier to get dresses, because even if you lose more weight, you can make a dress look like it fits by wearing a belt. :)

I REALLY hate pant shopping too, so I avoid it if I can. Good luck!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Maxi dresses and cardigans. Maxi dresses.... and cardigans.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of thrift shops in my town and even a couple of consignment stores. I hope you can find some pants there! You can buy them for 2-10 dollars a pair of pants then if you need to, take to the tailor to alter for 10-15 bucks.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with pants, they fit nice everywhere but length. I just hem them myself.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    One time I saw an article that referenced a website where you could put in your measurements and it would tell you what size would fit you depending on the brand. Problem is I have looked for it since and can't find it. Anyone? I need to do some shopping soon too!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Buy the 10 regulars that fit fine. Hemming is very easy. If you don't know someone who can sew for you check with dry cleaners, they often can do or have someone who does alterations. Since it is just a hem it will be cheap and quick. I have seen a lot of home seamstresses charge $3-$8 per pair depending on where you are at. You could try Craigslist and post in gigs. I periodically cruise through there and see if there is anything I can do. Assuming a standard hem with no decorations or strange shape going on I would charge $5 per pair.
  • macsgirl526
    Options
    I am short. 5'1 to be exact.Its hard for me to find stuff that fits right length wise. I wear lots of capris. Can you wear them? You can dress them up pretty easily. Good luck!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Find a big thrift store. Tons of different brands there. I started going to Goodwill when I was losing and still go there now. I always find great clothing at great prices.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem before as well. I'm 5'4" and just barely too "tall" for petites. At least, I find them to be too short for my liking. The best route that I have gone is to find pants where you can get them in different lengths - short, medium, tall. Typically, the short works pretty well for me.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A lot of the dry cleaners do alertations
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Hemming is easy. Fold to the right length, pin in place, iron, stitch, and cut off the excess.
  • gigibenton
    gigibenton Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hem tape...the fusible type that you apply with an iron is easy and holds up well. I use it all the time.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Buy what fits around the waist and hem. I have also had more success with low rise styles and wearing heeled boots/shoes. :) congrats on your loss!
  • skcastro
    skcastro Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hemming is your new BFF. I'm short and a size 12/13 and I ALWAYs have to get my pants hemmed. Its a pain in the *kitten* but you have to do it if you want to look nice. Also if your good with a need and thread you can always stitch the pants inside. (I do it!!! Shhh lol)
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of thrift shops in my town and even a couple of consignment stores. I hope you can find some pants there! You can buy them for 2-10 dollars a pair of pants then if you need to, take to the tailor to alter for 10-15 bucks.
    I have found the thrift stores are great because on one rack you'll find a variety of cuts and brands, whereas your typical store carries it's favorite brands. Thrift stores help me identify the designers that have a cut that fit me well, so I always have the option of getting it "new" somewhere else, but for replenishing the wardrobe fast, this is the way to go.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped and short and find that Old Navy has fold over waistband jersey skirts that fit well and you can adjust the length by folding over the waist. Also Gap often fits me and Athleta (which is pricey but watch for sales) has pants with an inner drawstring tie so there's no gape in the back.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    It you are in Canada, two stores, Ricki's and Reitmans have a number of styles and they are smallish stores so the staff is willing to help.

I often throw myself on the mercy of the sales person and explain my problem. They know the cut of what they have in stock and can help you avoid frustration.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Lands End slacks. Some large Sears stores carry Land's End clothing (so that you can try it on). Otherwise, their telephone operators are quite helpful. Most styles of their pants can be ordered in whatever length you want (hemming is free). Although I think that their quality has decreased a bit in recent years, they do stand by their products and freely make refunds or exchanges as requested. www.landsend.com

Also, try to stick with black or neutral colors until you hit your final size. No one will know that you are alternating between your three pairs of black slacks, or have a half dozen different ones.