Warning: this post is kind of gross. Sorry.

Options
OK, so I hope I don't regret writing this here. I figured better here than Facebook, though. I really don't need my extended family knowing about my recent... um... issues. They're kind of about poop, so if you're eating, you might want to visit the sunshine and butterflies thread. Consider yourself warned. :D

I'm a recovering ultra-low carber. I still watch carbs, but aim for about 150 healthy carbs per day versus my old go-to, which was about 25. I'm eating a ton of vegetables, fruits and high-fiber cereals (I've been in love with Fiber One's 80 calorie cereal, but I portion it out) in addition to dairy, meats and natural fats. I don't eat much in the way of super processed foods (aside from the cereal).

Anyway, about three weeks ago, I took antibiotics for a tooth infection. It's been awhile, but I think something... happened to me. I don't know if it's my new diet or what, but um... I cannot stop... going to the bathroom. There, I said it. I can't stop pooping. Or being gassy. Holy crap it's embarrassing. I seriously don't know how I'm maintaining my weight at this rate because I feel like I poop 10 times a day.

I've always eaten a lot of fiber-- even on low carb I averaged 35-40g per day. I'm now averaging 50 or so grams per day, but fiber has never really had this effect on me in the past. Seriously, guys-- especially at night, my stomach is super gurgly, super bloated and um... farty. And it hurts. Like... ouch.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this IBS or something? Do I just need to spend a day eating nothing but yogurt? Do you think it's something with my intestinal flora? My poor husband is dying over here. My butt is also dying over here. LOL.

Thoughts and pitiful jokes about the state of my bum are appreciated. :D

Sincerely,
Farty McPoop Pants

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Go onto a course of probiotics.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics can upset the intestinal flora....it might help you to eat some yogurt and or take some probiotics. Too much of the wrong bacteria in the intestines can lead to all the things you mentioned.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Should I eat probiotic yogurt or those little pearls?
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    50 grams of fiber a day sounds like A LOT...I'm thinking that has something to do with it.
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are getting too nuch fiber in your diet and it's causing you to go to the bathroom. I can't do the FiberOne stuff.. my stomach will gurgle and cramp up badly.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    whats the medicine you took? some medicines could do that to you even after you are done taking them. go search the medicine and the side effects online.:laugh:
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend taking probiotics but if this continues I would talk to you physician about possible doing a stool culture because being on antibiotics can make you prone to an infection called C-Diff, which needs to be treated.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to say yup, antibiotics can wreak havoc on the digestive system. I've always found acidophilus to be the best solution. (not sure what other probiotics are effective, or if there is some mix, I've always gone with acidophilus)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Go onto a course of probiotics.

Agree. I recommend Culturelle. It's a little pricey - around $24 where I live - but I have a special needs daughter and it's the only thing that works for her.

Plus, yogurt. Eat around 6 oz of good yogurt - just make sure the protein grams are higher than the sugar grams and the cultures are live - per day for 5 days. I recommend a plain greek yogurt (read the ingredients to make sure the ingredients are only milk and cultures - stuff like whey powder makes the yogurt a little nasty) and then sweeten it with a bit of honey or maple syrup, and throw in a handful of berries or granola.
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It is possible you have developed an infection in your stool called C-difficile as a secondary effect of the antibiotics you took. I'm a nurse in a nursing home and see it a lot. You need to contact your physician and have him culture your stool. Don't wait, you can develop dehydration from all that diarrhea, besides the obvious discomfort. Please see your doctor!
  • LATeagno
    Options
    The antibiotic I took was Biaxin. I've never taken it before and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. What's weird is that this started weeks after the antibiotic course ended. Very odd. I'll definitely get some probiotics tomorrow because this is seriously uncomfortable.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Sounds like your antibiotics messed with your good intestinal stuff. You probably need some probiotics. I use a product called Tu-Zen on the advice of my dr. It is not prescription (in BC, Canada) but you do have to ask for it behind the counter. More yougurt would also help, actually any product with probiotics. I take 3 per day, again on my dr's advice. Also, try a glass of ginger ale, that might help with the gurgly upset stomach. There are also products to cut back on gas, but seriously, I do not find them to work very well. Good luck.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    It is possible you have developed an infection in your stool called C-difficile as a secondary effect of the antibiotics you took. I'm a nurse in a nursing home and see it a lot. You need to contact your physician and have him culture your stool. Don't wait, you can develop dehydration from all that diarrhea, besides the obvious discomfort. Please see your doctor!

I do not have diarrhea, which is why this is so odd to me. It's just regular stuff. It's just like... all the time. Awful.
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I tried the Fiber One bars and they did a real thing on me. Bad gas and cramps.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband has serious intestinal problems (had a foot of it removed) and this is his life. WAS actually. He has it under co trolnow

Like people said - you need to replace your intestinal fauna You can go to the pharmacist and ask for over the counter probiotics. This is abnormal reaction to antibiotics. Plain real yoghurt (look for active culture on the label) will definitely help. I think kefir is even better. I have been culturing at home for years, but you can now buy it at many groceries, Trader Joes and almost all health food markets.

I also highly recommend fiber. My husband eats all the normal stuff, but highly recommends Metamucil - again over the counter at any pharmacy and highly recommended by his doctors.

he recently was on strong antibiotics for pneumonia and this put all right.

You just need to get back in balance.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    PS: You all rock. Thanks so much for the replies. :)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Contact the doc and verify that there aren't any weird side affects. There are some bad things that can happen with certain antibiotics. If you're going through some weird stuff, they can culture and make sure what's happening isn't something serious.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    take probiotics!
  • sarahmckinley
    sarahmckinley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not one for giving out medical advice around here, but....it could be an infection that was actually caused by the antibiotics (even if it's been several weeks since you took them). You know you have good bacteria in your intestines...basically it's to keep the bad bacteria in check. If the antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria, the bad bacteria can take over and the big D comes in. You should probably call your doc or friendly nurse practitioner :) because you may need a different antibiotic to get everything back into balance, along with the probiotics (my husband swears by them, I'm not a fan, but different strokes I guess). If you decide to try and ride it out, you really need to concentrate on hydration and potassium intake. D can cause low potassium and if it goes on for long enough, it can be dangerous for your heart.
  • mslili2002
    Options
    LOL...sometimes i can get a little gassy if i eat to much veggies, cheese and milk...but i think if you never had this problem before, its probably the antibiotics...you should detox for a couple of days and get whatever in you system out...try a cabbage soup and natual detox tea....and lots of water..in addition you will lose a couple of pounds..good luck..great story... : )