Warning: this post is kind of gross. Sorry.

Options

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Delete - as others said the same thing - I only read comments after.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    First, if it's been going on for 3 weeks, you definitely need to see a doctor. They'll run some tests ( a stool sample, an upper and/or lower GI Series & probably a colonoscopy). It could be something serious such as collitis or chrohn's disease or IBS. If you see any blood, do not put this off any longer.

Second, antibiotics can cause the symptoms you decribed but once discontinued, you should go back to your normal pattern.

Third, Cut back on fiber. It is too much for you right now. Even if you stay at 50 grams once you're feeling better, you definitely need to cut back drastically now. You want to eat foods that will bind you such as rice, bananas, & dry toast. You need to get your body to heal before you put that much fiber into it again.

Lastly, stay away from dairy, including yogurt. You may be lactose intolerant. This can happen suddenly in case you're wondering "why all of a sudden?"

Best of luck to you.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend taking probiotics but if this continues I would talk to you physician about possible doing a stool culture because being on antibiotics can make you prone to an infection called C-Diff, which needs to be treated.

I'm going to go ahead an agree with this. I would call your doctor's office and explain the situation right away.
  • JodieChampoux
    JodieChampoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dear Farty McPoop Pants,
    The problem with antibiotics is that they don't discriminate, and you need healthy bacteria in your intestines to properly digest and process your food. Get a good acidopholis or pro-biotic supplement, and be sure to take it on an empty stomach. Whenever you take antibiotics it is wise to follow with a round of acidopholis to re-populate the healthy flora in your intestines. After all, you do want to do something beside look at the wallpaper in the bathroom.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this sounds like an intestinal bacteria issue. Without healthy flora, you can't fully process a lot of foods, plus without the beneficial bacteria to keep things in check other less awesome fungal and bacterial things can take over Also, that's a lot of fiber. Fiber one should be treated like a supplement, in my opinion.

Read the labels of the yogurts at the store and find one with 5+ cultures (most have 2). Eat some local organic produce and local raw honey if you can find it. All have lots of good bacteria.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    LOL...sometimes i can get a little gassy if i eat to much veggies, cheese and milk...but i think if you never had this problem before, its probably the antibiotics...you should detox for a couple of days and get whatever in you system out...try a cabbage soup and natual detox tea....and lots of water..in addition you will lose a couple of pounds..good luck..great story... : )

NO cabbage! You'll be in serious pain & be living in the bathroom. But everything else here I agree with.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Fiber one did this to me as well...try the fresh food without fiber one and see how you feel. I would have a bar at about 10 am and by 3 pm I couldn't stop farting and my stomach hurt.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I concur with the probiotics, but PLEASE, get them at a health food store. You want to get something that is formulated properly and not from a company that has jumped on the bandwagon. The strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 tends to be most beneficial. Also get one without synthetic ingredients. It doesn't have to be expensive, just pure.

I got this info from Dr Ira Breite, Gastroenterologist, NYU Med Center.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love this post.
    ahahaha you are awesome.

i hope your bum gets better!
  • andreaeose777
    andreaeose777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Natures way probiotics are awesome. You need to take them for a month straight to rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach. Yogurt is not going to help u need something much stronger.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    #1--Go see your doc to rule out anything scary.
    #2--Barring anything scary, experiment with probiotics. Everyone's gut is different. When I started doing my whey protein smoothies, I had horrible things happening in there. Horrible. I tried Schiff Digestive Advantage--it's in the gas section, but it's not dimethicone like the others; it's a lactic-acid-producing probiotic (I've never been anything remotely like lactose intolerant, BTW). Worked like a champ, which is great, because other than the gut issues, I felt SO much better with the added protein, that I really didn't want to stop. But remember there are different kinds of cultures, and it's hard to know which ones your gut needs...lots of Internet research & product testing may be in order (or you may luck out with the first one you try!).
    Good luck!

*ETA: the probiotic I mentioned is bacillus coagulans, if you care to research.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    antiobiotics give you this problem. When you go off the meds, your issue should stop.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yogurt (with probiotics), a course of Acidophilus and bifidum (a good probiotic will have them and others) also kefir. Any time you take antibiotics, you are killing the friendly flora and fauna that live in your digestive system along with other bacteria. You need to replenish it. also be on gaurd for yeast infections as well.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with everyone who says it is most likely caused by the antibiotics, and that you need probiotics to fix it.

Hubby almost NEVER gets sick. In 17 years I think he has been on antibiotics 2-3 times. A few summers ago he got pneumonia and was on antibiotics. For like the next 3 months he had loose stool, to the point where it burned his bum. I gave him probiotics and it got better after a while.

Last summer/fall I had a rough 6 months or so. In 3 weeks I was on antibiotics 3 times, plus had 3 rounds of IV antibiotics. I had issues with frequent poop too. I took daily probiotics for about a month before it got better. Pretty sure I took them again in the fall when I was on antibiotics for most of 4 months ( back to back cases of bronchitis from September-December)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Damn. I wish I had your problem. I haven't pooped for about 4 days now... :grumble:

Sorry, I have no real advice for you, but maybe you should ask your doctor, and remember to keep your fluids up. You don't want to get dehydrated.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add beyond what others have already suggested.

Super pooper.

That is all. Carry on.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Damn. I wish I had your problem. I haven't pooped for about 4 days now... :grumble:

I feel for you. I get really angry and irritable when I can't poop. :(

Seconding what everyone else said. I really have nothing to add but I felt that I had to post in a thread about poop.
  • twonkieone
    twonkieone Posts: 132
    Options
    I agree w/ everyone else - and you should get an award for Best Post Of The Night!!!!!

Hope the bum is better quick!!! :blushing:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    to much fiber, cut it back abit, and your "thunder" will ease off some
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It is possible you have developed an infection in your stool called C-difficile as a secondary effect of the antibiotics you took. I'm a nurse in a nursing home and see it a lot. You need to contact your physician and have him culture your stool. Don't wait, you can develop dehydration from all that diarrhea, besides the obvious discomfort. Please see your doctor!

I do not have diarrhea, which is why this is so odd to me. It's just regular stuff. It's just like... all the time. Awful.

the point still stands, esp if your stool is soft.

add probiotic yogurt to your diet. and take some beano for the gas.