Year Round Schooling...

Options
2»

Replies

• Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In the Uk we start early September, have 6-8 weeks of school, then a week off at half term, then another 6-8 weeks, then 2 weeks at Christmas, then repeat. Half term, Christmas, Half term, Easter, Half term, 6 week long summer from Mid July to September.

It's a good system. Summer isn't too long, but there are lots of shorter breaks that make the term time go quicker.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It would be far too expensive to have kids go to school year round. They would have to up the teachers salaries, IF they could actually convince them to teach year round. Not to mention the fact that the schools would have to be air conditioned. I don't know if they AC new ones that are being built but the older schools definitely do not have AC in them (at least not where I live) and that would be a huge problem in the summer time.

With that said I'm all for kids going to school year round as long as they would actually get an education. Sure the kids are in school for the day but the amount of time that is actually spent on teaching amounts to probably two hours out of the day. My sister-in-law was going to home school her son when they moved to a different town. After one day he begged his mother to let him go back to regular school because he actually had to sit there and be taught. He broke his day down for her and it literally came out to about two hours of actual teaching that went on. The rest of the day was filled with breaks and fun time.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think year-round would be beneficial. Raise the teacher's salaries, that's fine with me. After all, they are educating our next generation, your children. They should at least reach average salaries in the US which is approximately 40K or more. I have no problem with this.

I think it would be useful for children to learn what it's like to work regularly. I'm not just talking about children either. College students should be year-round as well. I might catch flack for saying that, but it'd be way more beneficial for their future. I know that as college grad it was a bit difficult to adjust to working year-round with a few DAYS off here and there. I think students of all ages need to be adjusted to schooling year-round. Yes, there should be breaks in there, but not 3 week breaks. At the max, 2 weeks and that should only be around major holidays like Christmas/New Years, Independence day, Easter....maybe Memorial weekend. This might sound harsh, but I think it'd really help with the quality of our education and possibly even college tuition, since that seems to be skyrocketing in the US.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My father was military, and I experienced both types of schooling in my day, moving around as much as I did. Grades 3-5 were year round. And I've got to say...I MUCH prefer year round. Kids do NOT need months at a time breaks. Year round, you get two weeks at a time. Which is perfect. Kids don't get bored (either being home too long or not having a break from school for too long). They don't forget what they've learned (as much). I HATED going back to 9-month school when we moved to another state.

Year round, FTW!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My father was military, and I experienced both types of schooling in my day, moving around as much as I did. Grades 3-5 were year round. And I've got to say...I MUCH prefer year round. Kids do NOT need months at a time breaks. Year round, you get two weeks at a time. Which is perfect. Kids don't get bored (either being home too long or not having a break from school for too long). They don't forget what they've learned (as much). I HATED going back to 9-month school when we moved to another state.

Year round, FTW!

Year round would actually work well for the situation that's developing in my cray-cray life!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I am SO jealous of those of you who sent your kids off to school!! Here in VA, we go back the day after Labor Day and then don't get out until around the 15th of June. Today is one of those days I would have LOVED to drop them off at school and go get a coffee! lol Few more weeks to go...
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My kids go back to school in 2 days and get out just before Memorial Day. I would be all for a year round program. Summers here in Florida are generally hot and humid, so it's hard to get out of the house. A longish break over winter would be ideal.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Currently America is not even in the top 10 on pretty much any form of education so obviously something is going horribly wrong, I say get that year round cycle into play and let's get back in the competition before we all get left behind
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Our kids start the 15th but they also got out May 18th so they had about the same time out that I did growing up and starting after labor day but we never got out till June.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    To qualify this discussion, none of the "year round" systems in the United States change the required number of days of school in a year. Here in Arizona, we still have 180 days of school; we just spread it out a few weeks longer. Those two week breaks between quarters are not too long to cause learning loss but they allow families to vacation in the off season and I can tell you that teacher stress is much lower.

Apparently, some of the posters on this thread don't think much of what we are doing in school or that we aren't really doing much of anything, but I can attest to most of us are working ten hour days designing high-quality, engaging lessons, grading papers, communicating with parents, running student clubs, etc. etc. etc. I am very invested in my students and I definitely see an improvement in my emotional resilience when I get those periodic breaks. As far as a longer period off, the students have 7 weeks off in the summer.

This is the start of my 37th year. I had been hoping to make it 8 more. . . but all the ragging on teachers and school is wearing thin. I don't know if I can hang on that long. :(
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I'm very much looking forward to my vacation to the midwest in October. It's the only time of the year I actually want to go back to my hometown.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Currently America is not even in the top 10 on pretty much any form of education so obviously something is going horribly wrong, I say get that year round cycle into play and let's get back in the competition before we all get left behind

Actually, the demise of American education is greatly exaggerated. Well-financed schools and middle class kids are doing just fine, even when compared to students in other countries. Kids who are fortunate enough to go to school in well-funded suburban districts are getting a quality education. We don't seem to be doing very well addressing issues of poverty.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I went to a year-round school from pre-k to my senior year of high school. It was also a Catholic school so we had a couple of days off for religious holidays that other schools don't have, but we still had the same required number of school days as other schools in the area. I loved it!!

School starts in early August (my brother started today, the 6th), break in October, Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, spring break, and then summer for June and July!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Actually, the demise of American education is greatly exaggerated. Well-financed schools and middle class kids are doing just fine, even when compared to students in other countries. Kids who are fortunate enough to go to school in well-funded suburban districts are getting a quality education. We don't seem to be doing very well addressing issues of poverty.

I'm not sure if I would say 'greatly exaggerated' I went to a middle class high school and recieved books from 2 decades earlier, some with out of date information, our standards have been lowered making the bar easier to achieve, and just in general you can see students of all ages with all levels of income who seem to know less and less than previous generations. Most kids do not even use entire words let alone know how to spell them, let's be honest the scariest thing about movies like Wall*e and Idiocracy is they are slowly coming true
    I had many great teachers in my time but also many horrible ones that somehow still stay on payroll and I have always been in a middle class bracket. Feel free to reference South Side Jr. High of manchester N.H., this is as middle class to upper class as it comes, I had a teacher there who would go on vacations in the summer, take a ton of photos, make a slideshow, then sit at home and video tape himself watching the slides and explaining where he was. The school and school board were well aware of his prctice and considered this acceptable.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I believe there are pros and cons to both the year round and the 9 month systems for schooling. I personally think I would prefer year round schooling for my future children because I would have preferred it as a child. I hated (and still do as a college student) the huge break during the summer, and would have far preferred to have 2-3 week breaks more regularly.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    In our state they are not allowed to start school before Labor Day.

We did have a couple of schools on the year round schedule as a trial basis. From what I was told, the parents and teachers loved it. But the program was yanked and all schools in our area and now back to the 9 month schedule.
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I am a huge supporter of year-round school. The kids won't have as much time off at once, which means they will retain more information from the previous year. Teachers spend too much time reteaching children what they learned the year before, and children waste too much time during the summer. There should be more focus on helping children keep their minds engaged over breaks, instead of just letting them sit in front of the television playing video games and watching crap.