May be too fat to jog.

Options
Alright, so I have been doing c25k. I am on week 2 day 1...I didn't really have any problems during week 1 days 1 and 2, but day 3....I started having pain in my shins...it wasn't unbearable, but it kinda sucked. Today, I started W2 D1....The pain in my shins got progressively worse throughout the workout...Toward the end I was having shooting pain from my right ankle, all the way up my shin...I was almost in tears when I was in my car on the way home, that's how bad they hurt. And I have a high pain tolerance. The pain is STILL there over an hour after finishing. It hurts when you physically push on my shins and when I put weight on my legs (not really walking but going up stairs mostly) Should I just push past the pain and keep going, or should I stop and just continue doing week 1? Are they just shin splints? ugh! I have decent shoes too.. (zigtechs)

Replies

• JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like shin splints. Take A couple days off. Soak in some Epson salts and put some ice on them:)
  • scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also, go find a "running" specific store where they can fit you and evaluate your stride and gait. While the zigs may be good shoes, they may not be good for you. It sucks because I cannot find a pair of shoes for under $125. But then, I am considered a "Clydesdale" in the running community requiring a high stability shoe in a 13EE which cannot be found at the mall. Good luck!
  • bonster1983
    bonster1983 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are not too fat to jog! A lot of people have this problem. I have read that finding the proper fit in a good quality running shoe can help....in all the posts I see people say to get fitted at a store.
  • MeltingCandlewax
    MeltingCandlewax Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Alright, so I have been doing c25k. I am on week 2 day 1...I didn't really have any problems during week 1 days 1 and 2, but day 3....I started having pain in my shins...it wasn't unbearable, but it kinda sucked. Today, I started W2 D1....The pain in my shins got progressively worse throughout the workout...Toward the end I was having shooting pain from my right ankle, all the way up my shin...I was almost in tears when I was in my car on the way home, that's how bad they hurt. And I have a high pain tolerance. The pain is STILL there over an hour after finishing. It hurts when you physically push on my shins and when I put weight on my legs (not really walking but going up stairs mostly) Should I just push past the pain and keep going, or should I stop and just continue doing week 1? Are they just shin splints? ugh! I have decent shoes too.. (zigtechs)

How much do you weigh and how much do you need to lose. if you dont mind me asking. I started doing couch to 5 k a while ago and when i went to the dr and told him, he said no, don't do it. ( i have i call it sponge knee cause they have water in them but not enough to drain). He said until i get down to 200 pounds he doesnt want me to do any running because of my knees, and my feet (planters facitus) my knees and feet can't handle it. He said walking is great dont jog. so he recommends i walk 4 times a week at 30 minutes a day. I don't though. I have a a 2 year old i chase all day long everyday. Will get back to swimming hopefull when he goes to school.

Ps: also he said dont use heat on your legs use ice.( just a tip from my chiropractor)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i have shin splints. running downhill helped a lot.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how much do you need to lose.
    [/quote]

she started at 276 and lost 30 according to her ticker
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    As others pointed out. SHOES.
    Make sure they actually look at you walking. If they can't tell you about your gate and arches and stuff, I'd leave.

You can also try to force yourself to hit with the front of your foot or the middle, as opposed to your heel.
  • wcllo
    wcllo Posts: 2
    Options
    It does sound like you have shin splits. I would get them all the time too! To make them stop I got a good fitted pair of running shoes, and I would try to limit how much I would walk/jog on concrete.:smile:
  • RockyMtnJhawk
    Options
    I can relate! I want so badly to be able to run but after a very short period of time, and by that I mean less than a minute...it feels like my shins are going to explode. It's sooo painful.

I assume/hope/pray that if I can...when I do, get this weight off it will become easier & less painful. Also, it's less painful for me to run outside than it is on the treadmill-no clue what that's about!

Good Luck to you!
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No one's too fat to jog. Our body is made to run. While some are better than others we are built for it. Go to a running store like others have said. I went to a running store to get some running shoes and they made a world of difference. I spent about 115 with tax on mine. They watched me walk and measured my feet ect. I have no arch, and wide feet! Yay! I picked up a pair of New Balance 608's I believe. A pair of shoes that are made for your feet type will help you greatly though!

The running store I went to was Gary Gribbles Running. I think they are a chain around here. I'm not sure if they are nation wide or not.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a physician or trainer about this. By all means rest. It may be best to walk and increase your endurance progressively... You can increase speed while walking. As your weight comes down, then start a light jog. Best wishes on your success.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I had a nice pair of nike running shoes and had shin splints like you would not believe. I physically could not walk after my workout during weeks two or three. I got fitted for a proper pair of shoes at a running store that give me ankle support and just the right amount of cushion that happened to be new balance (the nike's didn't flex enough and those were the two pairs that happened to work best for me). I have not had pain like that since. Sometimes I get calf pain from running too hard/far, but it is only bad for an hour or two and then I'm fine. I would definitely go to a running store and have them fit you for a pair. They may be able to tell your that it is your shoes and you don't have to buy from them if you don't want to (however, I was so happy that I gladly paid $113 to support them rather than buy em cheaper on Amazon).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like shin splints. Take A couple days off. Soak in some Epson salts and put some ice on them:)

What I was going to say. Take a break. No stress fractures allowed.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what I used to go through while I was in high school... shin splints by the sound of it. I agree with the person who suggested rice and a soak with epson salts (be VERY generous! it really does help). Then when you get back into it, make sure you warm up and after your warm up stretch your muscles out (google pre-jogging stretches for diagrams and something simple to follow). Then resume the walk/jog alternate that you do with the C25K. I have also heard that sometimes walking backwards on the treadmill (carefully!) or going backwards on an elliptical can help train the muscle opposite of your hamstring, and can help prevent shin splints. I did this in high school and it seemed to help. I have no backup sources or scientific proof so take it with a grain of salt.

Hope you feel better and that it goes away soon for you!
    Oh, and as for your comment about being too fat. When I was at my highest weight (126 lbs ago...BMI 47)... I started this and I found that weeks 1-3 were doable, but I couldn't progress without my HR being WAY out of my target heart rate zone. It was very uncomfortable for me, so I focused more on losing the weight and less on running a 5k. I am now lifting weights and adding the C25K back in, and this time it feels like something I can accomplish.

If you have the willpower to continue and you are keeping your heart rate in the healthy zone and not pushing too much... I don't see how you could be "too fat to jog". You may need to repeat the same week over and over until you are ready to progress. There is nothing wrong with that. Your body dictates your pace. Listen to it and you'll do great!
  • sparkler2112
    sparkler2112 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I was in school and they make a velcro constricting band that goes just beneath your knees.. it works fantastic!
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, what everyone else is saying - you need to get shoes that fit properly.

I had shoes that cost a bundle and looked nice & sporty when I first started to run... what a pain (literally)! It'll be worth the extra few dollars & minutes to get your shoes professionally fitted by someone who knows what they're doing & what will work for you. You may have a New Balance store that'll do a professional fit analysis, this would be a great start.

BTW - I don't work for New Balance, I just happen to have one of their stores nearby.

Here's a link to their website store locator: http://www.newbalance.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-newbalance_us-Site/default/Stores-Find

Good luck in your journey, please don't give up!!
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Running is very hard on your joints and can cause pain. Some people more than others. An Eliptical machine is almost no impact and has the same cardio results that running does.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching your calves before you start? Being tight in the calves will also lead to shin pain and is common if you spend a lot of time in heels.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    are you running on a tredmill? ause I am and have been having similar problems but then I am just starting week 1 day 1 lol
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Shoes make a HUGE difference. I used to suffer from shin splints for YEARS. Got advice here to go to a running store, they analyzed how I ran and BOOM! Perfect shoes and not a shin splint to be had since! :O Mine were so bad I had protruding bruises all up and down both legs.. since I was 14 even in basketball! Now no issue at all. I also recommend ice, lots of ice. It helps a great deal :) Great job doing the C25K program, but it does sound like you need some different sneakers before you continue :)