20 pounds down, no change?

Options
Alright, so according to the scales, I have now lost 20 pounds. Yay, I am happy about that part. What I'm not happy about is the fact that I can not tell it ANYWHERE. There is literally no sign that I have lost this weight. I have compared photos, nothing. And it isn't just me thinking I can't see the results, I've asked friends and my husband. Occasionally I get the "oh you're looking good!" from friends who know I'm working hard, but I think they say it just to encourage me. Is it normal to have this happen? I see so many post on here where people have lost even just ten pounds and there is a big noticeable difference. I know everyone is different, it's just a bit discouraging. :(

/pout.

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the closer you are to your goal, the more 10 pounds will be noticeable.

What I mean is 240-230 is not as noticeable as 150-140 because of the percentage difference lost.

The only thing I can suggest is, if you aren't already, incorporating strength training as that helps take off the inches.

Good luck on your journey!!!
  • MeltingCandlewax
    MeltingCandlewax Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger a person is the harder it is to tell. how do you clothes fit. I started at 248 and i am currently at 225. It is about 23 pounds, and i am still pretty big looking. people can tell by my face being thinner and i can tell a little bit from my face. I also know what the scale says but i have noticed my clothes are fitting better too. I take a picture of me every 10 pounds to keep for my personal reference. I can tell im losing weight when i look at pictures.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much weight you have to lose in the 1st place. If it's a fairly significant amount, it might take 30-50 pounds before it becomes noticeable on the outside. But I promise you, your body is thanking you! It decreases the pressure on your knees, it drops your blood pressure, lowers your cholesterol, decreases your chances for all kinds of illnesses and cancers. I agree with adding in some strength training if you're not doing it now. That can really make a difference.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just keep going I have the same problem even now I dont see a change. I know by the scale and how my clothes are fitting or even better when they wont stay up. Its a hard your eyes sees you every day so your less likely to see it. good luck
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way today. I am down 12lbs and I don't feel like my clothes aren't any looser I have barely lost any inches. I guess I do have to up my workouts. They are hit and miss. I guess just keep on plunking at it and it will show up!
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't be discourage you are doing great!:smile: Before I started mfp I had lost 20 lbs and couldn't tell :grumble: but since then I've lost another 12lbs and WOW! what a difference:bigsmile: I lost inches finally and went down 3 sizes!!! So just kept doing what you are doing and you'll soon see the results and it will be an awesome day:bigsmile:
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19 lbs since June..... my wedding ring seems a bit looser.... but that's it. So I am pushing harder when I workout, and drinking more freakin water...

Keep on going.... you'll get there!