coloring hair/going gray

Options
2»

Replies

• susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I am a natural blonde, but the streaks and pretty color have dulled to a mousey brownish icky color. I get psychotic when it goes on too long and feel just awful about myself. I need to be blonde! I get my highlights done every 4 months before the psychosis gets too bad! = D
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My husband loves my salt & pepper hair and I get a lot of compliments on it in general. I have short hair and don't want to commit to coloring it every 3 weeks. The only problem is that people sometimes assume I'm older because of it.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Oh how i wish i didn't HAVE to color my hair. I remember the first gray hair i found. I was 18 and trying clothes on in a dressing room. Until i had kids I just had a few and i would just pull them out. Now I would probably look 20years older if i didnt color. I have an organic hair salon right by my house though its great. The color actually smells good. Like herbs and essential oils. I dont "think" I'll mind being gray eventually but with my youngest only being 3 well even if she weren't im not ready yet.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

Henna sounds cool! Where do you get it?

I order mine from mehandi.com. I've tried a few others and they seem to have the best product. Henna and indigo are messy to apply and they have to stay on a while, but I've found that the way the color lasts and how healthy your hair ends up is totally worth it. I have hair to the bottom of my shoulder blades and I don't even have to condition it.

I see someone has mentioned LUSH's henna. I do not recommend it at all. Weak color, and it coats your hair with oil so you have to wash it a million times. One of the worst products I've tried. Do not get henna/indigo/cassia that has been adulterated with other products. Get the pure powder, fine sift, and mix it yourself with tea tree oil or citrus, and hot water. That's all that is needed. :)

Anyone who has questions about henna or other natural dyes, feel free to contact me. I've been using it for years and my hair has never looked better.

Thanks for the info - was wondering about THAT!
  • kreeestal4
    Options
    Like many others said before try a natural hair coloring ask at a sallys beauty supply if you have those near you. Or try adding in some highlighted aread with lemon juice everyday to blend in the grey and highlights.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and started going grey in my 20's. I used the non permanent coloring for years and then decided to stop about 4 years ago. I'm not all grey or anything, maybe 20%, but the transition of letting the color grow out wasn't fun (I have dark, long hair) and I don't want to do that again. Honestly, it is hard sometimes looking in the mirror and seeing the grey, but for me I am done coloring.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and started going grey in my 20's. I used the non permanent coloring for years and then decided to stop about 4 years ago. I'm not all grey or anything, maybe 20%, but the transition of letting the color grow out wasn't fun (I have dark, long hair) and I don't want to do that again. Honestly, it is hard sometimes looking in the mirror and seeing the grey, but for me I am done coloring.

Thanks for this post. I think this is how it will be for me. I guess I will just take it day by day. Maybe I will go purple or something so it's not about "covering gray" but more about doing something totally fun and different. Time will tell - as we know to well!:huh: