if every day were like today... in 5 weeks

Options
After you submit your food and exercise journals for the day and it predicts what you would weigh in 5 weeks, do you feel that is accurate? For people who have been on here for a while (at least 5 weeks) do you think you were the at the projected weight 5 weeks later? If your projections are all over the place I can understand it would be hard to tell if its accurate. For me, it consistently projects that I will weigh in the low to mid 280's in 5 weeks. I weigh 312 now so that is a 25-30 lb loss in 5 weeks and that seems like way too much to hope for! Just wondering how seriously other people take those predictions.

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, mine seems like too much also. It keeps telling me that I will weigh 250 in 5 weeks and that's 17 pounds away. I've been losing 1-2lbs a week, so 17 in 5 seems VERY unlikely.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Mine has been telling me for a LONG time I was gonna be 128 in weeks. I just hit that 2day. I don't think it's really accurate, but it mine always makes me smile lol
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Usually tells me 4 - 5 lbs less and I typically average a lb a week, so it's been pretty spot on for me.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    well those numbers are motivating but I think to actually lose 30 lbs in 5 weeks I'd have to stop eating altogether!
  • levstein
    levstein Posts: 74
    Options
    I have noticed if you burn a lot of calories through exercise it predicts a low weight if you do not burn calories through exercise and your calorie intake is around the same i.e.1200 per day it predicts a high weight :huh:
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    It is not accurate. It says "You should be lose 5 pounds by" and then I am still stuck at the same darn weight.

I have also noticed that the calorie counter is way off. Sometimes by 300 calories.

Before I started MFP I lost 30 pounds on my own. I haven't lost a single pound by being on this site. I am thinking of deleting my account and going back to doing myself. At least then I know it worked.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    I stopped paying attention to it, since every day is not like today. It would get boring eating the same thing every day, doing the same exact exercises every day, etc. That number means you have to burn the exact same number of calories every day, and eat the exact same number of calories. It just isn't worth it to me to watch that number.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It's purely mathematical. Unfortunately weight loss isn't linear (ie. 3500cal deficit will not equal exactly 1lb of fat loss) but as long as you are in a deficit overall you will be on the right track.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    well those numbers are motivating but I think to actually lose 30 lbs in 5 weeks I'd have to stop eating altogether!

30lbs in 5 weeks = 6lbs per week. This equals 21000cal deficit per week or 3000cal per day.

What have you set MFP at? At 312lbs you're maintenance cals is probably around 4000 per day. If you are eating 1200 cals (which I would not recommend) then there is close to 3000 deficit per day.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Before I started MFP I lost 30 pounds on my own. I haven't lost a single pound by being on this site. I am thinking of deleting my account and going back to doing myself. At least then I know it worked.

All this site is supposed to "do for you" is keep track of your calories and what you've eaten. It's not some magic potion that'll make you lose weight any differently. The reason you're not losing weight is you're consuming too many calories. Don't blame MFP for that. This site doesn't do anything that you can't do using a notepad or a spreadsheet except make it easier to save and customize. You also blame the site for having calories way off -- then double check the food you're entering. I always do.
  • Weightlossangel
    Options
    I just saw it as a challenge...It predicted I would loose 4.6kgs in five weeks...It only seens too much if you put that obsticle oout there. The pridiction is made on our weight now and what we have eaten and burnt multiplied by five weeks....so could be do able. Good luck every body and get out there and do it!!!
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wondered this myself, so I kept track of the predictions for a while and found that I was a couple of kilos heavier than MFP predicted.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    point being...you WON'T eat like that every day anyways!! I'm pretty sure that it is meant to just be a fun bit of info for you to keep track of how ya did for the day :)