Gluten Free Lentil Flax "bread"

Options
monocot
monocot Posts: 475 Member
Insanely easy,. Super Yummy.
It's in the oven Right now! I'll post a pic when it comes out,.

2/3 cup dry lentils (I use red but brown, green or a sprouted variety work too)
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal (I use golden flax ground in my Magic Bullet)
1 cup water
sea salt (don’t skimp since this is the main seasoning)
2-3 Tbsp coconut oil (olive oil, grapeseed, canola, butter or ghee all work – use oil for vegan)

Favorite herbs and/or spices, optional

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a small blender with grind attachment, food processor or a spice grinder, add lentils and grind to a flour. (I use my Magic Bullet with the flat blade).
3. Add the coconut oil (or oil/butter of choice) to a 8×8 or 9×9 pan* and let melt in the oven and warm (about 2 minutes). Meanwhile, add flaxseed meal, water and salt to ground lentils and blend again for about 15 seconds. It should resemble a thick but pourable pancake batter after it sits (the flax and lentils will start absorbing the water the longer it sits).
4. When oil is hot and melted, pour batter into the pan and spread with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the bread forms a crust. Let cool slightly, cut and enjoy warm!

Bread can be refrigerated and toasted to reheat if needed.

*You can make the bread thick or thin by choosing your baking dish and add herbs and spices for different flavor variations.

I said it serves 4. but it matters on how big the slices and if you're eating it like bread or not. I eat it with Hummus or peanut butter.
I cooked mine in a pie plate.
I cut it into 8,. so if everyone eats 2 slices.

Calories- 173
Carbs- 29
Fat- 2
Protein- 12
Fibre- 8

1 slice is 86 calories, 6 protein and 4 fibre and 14 carbs

Replies

• krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    This sounds VERY interesting! I'm not following any gluten free diet, but this just SCREAMS "healthy!" So I like that idea. :)

Thanks for the post... I will have to hunt down the ingredients and give it a go. :flowerforyou:
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, one for me to try
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump...
    just a ques can i divide the quantities to do a trial...
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do the same, but almond flour instead of lentils to lower the carbs a lot.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This looks good. I like the idea of subbing almond flour!
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    i do the same, but almond flour instead of lentils to lower the carbs a lot.

Both sound great. What is almond flour? The stuff left over after making the milk? I just made milk and was wondering how I could put the fiber leftovers to good use. Definitely going to give this bread a try! Thanks :smile:
  • caraiselite
    Options
    i think its just ground almonds. it's not as fine as flour, but makes awesome pancakes/coating. so much more flavourful.
    bobs red mill and honeyville are popular brands.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know anything you can substitute for the Flax Seed? I am allergic to it. Thanks in advance:flowerforyou:
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reciepe,I'm going to try it I'm gluten free been trying to find more people on here that are also.May add me anyone else may to .
  • caraiselite
    Options
    Does anyone know anything you can substitute for the Flax Seed? I am allergic to it. Thanks in advance:flowerforyou:

chia seeds or the aforementioned almond flour.
    or even coconut flour. rice flour?
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    i think its just ground almonds. it's not as fine as flour, but makes awesome pancakes/coating. so much more flavourful.
    bobs red mill and honeyville are popular brands.
    Thanks. I live in a pretty rural part of India so can't find those brands here.... but i can make my own.