New NHS podcasts for Couch to 5K grads

Almost as if it were in answer to my own question on these boards a few weeks ago (what to do after-couch to 5K?!), the NHS has released new free 'Couch to 5K+' podcasts focusing on speed and distance training for when you can already run for 30 minutes.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx

Unfortunately today is a rest day for me, but I can't wait to check them out!

Enjoy, fellow C25K grads!

(Edit to say: they've also got a new strength and flexibility podcast! http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/strength-and-flexibility/Pages/strength-flexibility-podcasts.aspx)

Replies

• Fuzzyduck31
    Fuzzyduck31 Posts: 1 Member
    Just been looking on the nhs live well site, never knew it existed! It's a good site with helpful tips on exercise and food ie 5 a day and portion sizes
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Thanks for the info, i've just downloaded them and will try them out on my next run.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Excellent...Just completed my first 2 5 K`s...This is just what i need.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    I just went out with the speed interval podcast. I have to say, it's lovely to have Laura back! She guides you through it completely (giving you the pace of 1-2-3-4), and definitely pushes you hard for those six intervals.

If anybody hasn't read the synopsis, it's six runs of 1 minute at 155 BPM, six runs at (1 minute again) 165 with the normal five minute warm up + cool down and five minutes at 155 before you get started on the intervals. My only real problem is that 155 is slower than my normal pace, so it took me a while to get into the swing of things. However, this is me nitpicking, it's certainly a lot nicer to go out with something structured than runkeeper yelling at me every minute to go fast!

I managed a 4.02 per km today as well for a minute (decided to push the last run a bit faster than 165), so I'm certainly not complaining! Now...If I can only extend that speed for another twenty...

I'll try out the stepping stones 35 minute podcast tomorrow morning (I'd use it tonight, but tonight's a B210k run) and will report back. Has anyone else used any of the new podcasts yet?
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    I will check this out later, thanks!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    bump! :flowerforyou:
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    I'll report back later on the strength and flexibility one!
  • londoneye
    Uff... in the end I started with the 'speed' intervals podcast. Only about 12 minutes of running, but it really kicked my *kitten*, meaning it was probably just what I needed to push forward!

Loved it. Can't wait to try the others!
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Ooh this is useful to know. I haven't done c25k but can just about run 5k (it's about the most I can manage at the moment!). Does anyone who has tried this new one think it will be ok for me without having come through the C25k thing? I don't know what you meant by the bpms - beats per minute? Do I need a heart rate monitor for it?
  • jonski1968
    Had a go last night...Totally upped my speed...But..didn`t last the 5k...got to 4.7 and my legs went..But it was the 3rd in 4 days so i`ll give it another go Thursday.

And no you don`t need a HRM for it...Basically you just go with the beat and she counts you in..Give it a go its great.
  • Nownourish
    Nownourish Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks for that. I'm about to start Week 4 of the NHS C25K and I find that it's really good. Great to have something to aim for after it :smile:
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    I am still in C25k - But the company that makes the app I use has a C210k.... You can either start back at week 1, and go through the C25k training again, or you can skip ahead to week 9, and just continue your training to the 10k. They also have a 13.1 app (1/2 marathon training)...

They are all made by Zen Labs - and they are all free on the App Store for iPhone.

Happy Running!!! :drinker:
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    bump!
  • londoneye
    I am still in C25k - But the company that makes the app I use has a C210k.... You can either start back at week 1, and go through the C25k training again, or you can skip ahead to week 9, and just continue your training to the 10k. They also have a 13.1 app (1/2 marathon training)...

They are all made by Zen Labs - and they are all free on the App Store for iPhone.

Happy Running!!! :drinker:

Yeah, there have been a lot of apps around for a while that work on distance. The reason these are news is that a lot of people (I'm one of them) don't want to just run for longer and longer amounts of time. These allow you to work on speed, and stay with a workout of around 30 mins :)
  • londoneye
    Tried the 'Stamina' podcast today and found it a real challenge. The C25K+ really pushes me on speed, even on the 'slowest' parts...

Managed 25 mins of running but couldn't make it to the end... This time!
  • jhagerman
    jhagerman Posts: 7 Member
    bookmarking this
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Too bad it's not something I can print and read. I don't have any way to listen to a podcast, except with my laptop. :ohwell:
  • jonski1968
    Tried the 'Stamina' podcast today and found it a real challenge. The C25K+ really pushes me on speed, even on the 'slowest' parts...

Managed 25 mins of running but couldn't make it to the end... This time!

Give it a week...You`ll get there..
  • londoneye
    Today I did the 'stepping stone'. Clearly should have done this one first! It is challenging but much more manageable than the other two. 30 mins running at a progressively speedy pace: I think after doing this one a few times I'll be ready to tackle the 'stamina' one again!
  • leambi
    leambi Posts: 452 Member
    Bump