does anyone else ever feel so alone?

Options
I know I can't be the only out there that is trying to reach fitness goals totally alone, and without support (other than from mfp pals). How do you deal with it? How do you handle feeling isolated from your family? I have had so many "heart to heart's" with my husband about trying to be more supportive, and what that means to me. He never really responds, and 10 minutes later is ordering pizza and wings. i know being healthy isn't important to him, but I would think supporting me would be important to him?

Anyway, this post isn't about relationship problems lol I'm just wondering how other people are able to stay so strong, dedicated, and so focused when everyone around them is tearing them down? :cry:

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I think many people fail with their heath goals because they don't get the support they need. Not everyone is good at going it alone! Unfortunately, I don't have the answer.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My husband is on board with me and pursuing fitness goals, and that helps tremendously. But for a long time he was not on the same page as me. As hard as that was, I continued to make our family favorites, just in new healthier ways. Heres the thing though... most of the time as women we hold the power, LOL! We do the grocery shopping! So, if all that is in your house is healthy food, they will have no choice but either starve (HA!) or eat healthy stuff. I know this is not rocket science but for me it was very enlightening.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I feel alone for a lot of reasons, mainly depression and dealing with an eating disorder. My husband, God love him, tries to be supportive but he has NO IDEA what it's like to struggle with food. He's 5'10", weighs 142 pounds, and has never been (and probably will never be) overweight. He has dealt with the opposite, the taunts from being skinny, but that was when he was younger.

How do I deal with it? Well, I cry a lot. :) I don't know how to answer...I just want you to know that you are not alone in your aloneness. :flowerforyou:
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Some people don't get it BUT it can be done one meal at a time. you will have good and bad days, try to remove yourself or eat before the pizza comes. fill up on the good stuff before you can eat the bad. You won't ave too much room for the bad. When to people around you see you are serious they will do one of 2 things. support you or start leaving you alone. when people stop drinking alcohol, the alcohol drinkers stop hanging out with the ex drinkers. I hope i said that right. LOL. I stopped ordering at work with people and eventually they stopped asking me. I know you feel alone, but you have to take the lead here for yourself. If the people around you care, eventually they will get it. let them know how much their support is appreciated. some times people are watching to see if you are serious or not. They are not going to make it easy. I work with the fattest people I have ever seen up close. I am not being mean just truthful. They order out all of the time. eat all day. Last Friday they actually brought ice cream, caramel, chocolate and strawberry syrup and sugar cone bowls in for sundaes, I was pissed, upset, and mad that I had to do the right thing for me. REMEMBER THE LETTERS F L A B. We tend to eat when we are Frustrated, Lonely,
    angry or Bored. breathe, do something other than eat! you will be fine !!!!!
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is a really good place for support! You are in the right place!! :happy:
  • KCramer12
    KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same. He wants me to stop losing he says i have lost enough. It is hard cause i want to hear u look beautiful how u r but its your body. I wanna feel comfortable in my own skin. Which i currently do not. He is starting to try and workout some but not eat healthy like i am really trying very hard to do. I would b lost on this journey if it wasnt for mfp! So glad i have such amazing people on here going through the same thing.
  • higgins09cait
    Options
    Being in college, finding the right support I need is TREMENDOUSLY difficult. Everywhere I turn people are eating pizza, cake, binging on beer, taco bell, you name it! I've been in the boat where I tried a lot of different things with dieting and they all failed because I gave in to temptations brought by unsupportive people. My mom, who is on weight watchers, thinks that if it's not weight watchers, its wrong. It's not that she's unsupportive but she has a lot of doubt in me and expects me to fail, as I have so many times. For me, finding support was seeking out for it, reach out of your comfort zone. For example, here. I spend a lot of time reading fitness and motivational quotes that are my support system. In the end, you're all you have in pursuing your goals. You really have to di deep and find your inner support system and let that guide you!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of support here, but I can imagine how difficult that must be for you. Maybe if he orders pizza get him to order half veggie and just have one piece. It's all about living in an overindulgent world and having balance. It's hard to find that balance, but it sounds like you have the determination. Also, I pray when I feel defeated. It helps. Good luck!
  • natashiag
    natashiag Posts: 33
    Options
    My husband took a very long time to adjust to the "new" me. At first he "tried" to be supportive with encouraging words, but I felt lonely running, swimming, kayaking, and going to the gym alone. Since I was enjoying these things I only wanted to share my joy with him. Well girlie all I can say is hang in there, he got onboard slowly, but surely now he calls me his favorite fitness pal and gives me a push when I slow down :D.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This is why I joined this site. Many times I have tried to get together with others locally to lose weight, who want to lose weight, and it doesnt seem to work out. There are some that skip diet to diet not understanding that unfortunately they are failing for one reason or another, or there wont be a yo yo issue. Plus, most dont want to hear my ideas because its eat right and stay active, not a pill, strict meal plan or spend loads of money, so I end up on my own, out of the loop.:cry:
  • lyonsfool03
    Options
    Think of yourself as a leader instead of thinking that you are alone... Show your friends and family that you are dedicated and others will eventually follow... I went afew months dieting and excercising on my own.... After I lost nearly 15 lbs my wife and mother fed off my enthusiasm and now stand at my side... They are both doing great.... You never know who will join you... Keep ur courage and everything will be fine... Best of luck
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    Oh gosh, my heart was so sad to read your reply, but I too deal with depression and my eating goes up and down, depending on it.
    One thing I like is that you aren't alone even though it may seem like it....your not alone....:smile:
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was so happy because my husband said he was going to join me after 7 months! Well that lasted about 2 days! My mother- in - law was not supportive AT ALL until I really started to lose weight - then she is "proud" & telling my mom how great I look, etc. Yeah- no thanks to her! Some people may be used to people talking a good game and they have to see progress before they will get on board!

I know the only way this will work is if I do it for me - and when it comes down to it (unless you are in a controlled environment ) it comes down to you & the food,but also know that people are here on MFP to support you - you show "em!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I technically have "support" as in my parents buying my type of food (I still live at home), but emotional support was not only non existent, but it went as far as them intentionally putting me down. I can't say I always handled it gracefully and with maturity, but somehow I just ignored them. I'm pretty good at getting through things alone. Of course it still hurts, but you just have to push through. Now that my journey is over all is good :)
  • OliviaUnicorn
    Options
    I do this alone (except MFP friends in here). My family don't really give any support to me, my dad doesn't even believe I can do this. And then there is my friends, they don't just understand. Not one of them have had any problems with weight. Doing things alone haven't been never problem to me. I have always been kind of 'weirdo' who people don't understand, so I'm kind of used to doing things alone ( I'm not saying that I don't want to do things with other people.) :D

I get my motivation from believing that I'm strong and if no one wants to support me I'll just show them that I can do this without them. I have a need to show people that I survive and that I can do things. That's my biggest motivation.

You should remember that people in here MFP will always support and help you!
  • wrighhjz
    wrighhjz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i doing it alone. i've told no one, not even my hubby. he can have his pizza etc and i'll have what i want, he knows i'm eating healthy but nothing more. i don't want to have to deal with the naysayers and the 'oh go one just a bit won't hurt' people. its odd but i'm enjoying having my own little secret, my lttle victorys over the scales, no one saying hows it going etc. for me doing it alone is a good thing, i know its not for everyone and there is some fantastic support on here.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    my husband is actually really supportive. we still eat regular foods though, i just eat less than i would before, but for example, he was stopping at the store for some sour cream, and he called and asked me did i want him to get the low fat kind. he doesnt mind eating stuff like that. my dad was never like that with my mom, he was always complaining that he wasnt the one on a diet, so she would be making 2 different meals, and he would always want junk in the house. My husband and I have never been big junk food eaters, so we never have it in the house. He used to buy me candies and ice-cream a lot, but i just asked him to stop bringing me that stuff cuz i'm trying to stay away from it, and he is good about that.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My husband has his supportive days, but overall he does his own thing. Yes, I do the grocery shopping. However, he will go out for junk food in a heart beat. I can cook a nice healthy dinner and he'll stop for fast food on the way home. This is life. We've talked and this is where we are. So. We have an understanding-he doesn't get ME fast food unless I ask specifically for it. Which 99% of the time I don't. If he brings home chips or other junk food, then it's fair game for everyone, including the kids. If I find the bag or box open and find myself unable to resist it I will take it and throw it in the trash. The end effect is the same for him as if I'd eaten the whole thing. So he never knows which happened. Result-he keeps more of the opened containers in his office and away from me. (I can resist a closed container.)

On the other side, I try to keep healthy stuff around for me. I try to make it healthy stuff that I *really* like so I won't be jonesing for what he brings home. But if junk food starts singing it's siren song, I shut it up by throwing it out. Ah well.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    I completely understand! But the way I deal with it is that this is my life-changing experience, MINE. The only person I really need to have my back is myself. Everything else is icing on the cake (MMMMMMMMmmmmm Icing HAHA)

You can do it and MFP has plenty of encouraging people wanting the same thing. I love being encouraged and inspired everyday by my friends on here :) Feel free to add if you need more support
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A message for those wanting huge body transformations and lifestyle changes: Remember that this journey is something you will start alone......if you are hell fire bent on success know that the person to your left and to your right will fail.............You have to accept this and keep moving forward........You are all the support system that you need because you hold all the cards.........if you don't go workout its nobody's fault but your own that you didn't pull your big *kitten* off the couch and get it done!!!! In this journey there is no room for excuses......If you are like me I have spent a great deal of my life making them and regreting them. Its nice that people support what you are doing but know this.........a lot of them will talk **** about you when you walk away...........not because of what you are doing its because of what they are not doing! So that is the alone part............read it and know it WILL happen and when it does rejoice because you will know you are going in the right direction! A lifestyle change............its time to make some tough decisions.........I know there where a lot of people in my life that never made my life any easier..........These are the people that rolled there eyes when I said I can't go here or there because I was on a diet and needed to stay focused or told them I needed to go to the gym..........These are the people that now ask me OMG what are you doing to loss the weight............Inside I just smile knowing even if I told them what I have done to loss this much weight they will never really do anything with that information. A lot of these people I had to cut loose because there lifestyle was not condusive to mine........you will have to make a choice at some point about this..........some more drastic than others.........Knowing that if I have friends with the same goals and lifestyles in mind then my lifestyle change doesn't seem like a change anymore it seems normal. So to sum all this up: Misery loves company................and it is a lonely place at the top!!!!!!!! So find as many people as you can to hang out with you up there!!!!!

I know I can't be the only out there that is trying to reach fitness goals totally alone, and without support (other than from mfp pals). How do you deal with it? How do you handle feeling isolated from your family? I have had so many "heart to heart's" with my husband about trying to be more supportive, and what that means to me. He never really responds, and 10 minutes later is ordering pizza and wings. i know being healthy isn't important to him, but I would think supporting me would be important to him?

Anyway, this post isn't about relationship problems lol I'm just wondering how other people are able to stay so strong, dedicated, and so focused when everyone around them is tearing them down? :cry: