Is this a good healthy breakfast?

Options
Hi all! Well, this morning I was going to have some waffles with syrup for breakfast this morning but then I realized that I want to be healthier so I should start off with a healthy breakfast. I had a couple of slices of a jazz apple, and 1 table spoon of peanut butter. Then I had an actual serving size of Honey Nut cheerios with milk. I think my breakfast was good but not great.. anything I could add to make this better? Thanks. :)

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You're right, it was a good breakfast but not a great one.

Up the protein and dump the cheerios. Add a couple of eggs. Or some cottage cheese or some greek yogurt. If you need some carby cereal in the morning try oatmeal.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post. Also, if you really like cereal, try Kashi Go Lean. It's in red and white box. 13 grams of protein 5-6 grams of fiber, and 120 calories per cup! You can check out the rest of my stats, if you check out my food diary. Fooducate rates that cereal as an A-!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What therealangd said. If you are giving yourself a treat, there are worse things than the Cheerios, but they aren't really healthy. Also, you didn't mention if your milk was skim. Skim is best. The apple and peanut butter was a great way to start!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    spread some peanut butter on those waffles
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Up the protein and dump the cheerios. Add a couple of eggs. Or some cottage cheese or some greek yogurt. If you need some carby cereal in the morning try oatmeal.

Definitely! Egg whites will do, right? And I've tried oatmeal, the texture feels like barf! :( But thank you.
  • McBully4
    Options
    Definitely! Egg whites will do, right? And I've tried oatmeal, the texture feels like barf! :( But thank you.

I hate oatmeal but eat it anyway, put some peanutbutter in it.
  • samanthasky
    Options
    What therealangd said. If you are giving yourself a treat, there are worse things than the Cheerios, but they aren't really healthy. Also, you didn't mention if your milk was skim. Skim is best. The apple and peanut butter was a great way to start!

I will try to figure something out tomorrow! And yes, the milk was 1%. And thank you! :)
  • samanthasky
    Options

Peanut butter in oatmeal..? Yuck
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    spread some peanut butter on those waffles

I do this all the time. Try it on a whole wheat waffle, and also, try for a natural peanut butter, not one loaded with sugar. They don't have to be expensive - kroger actually makes ones with only peanuts and salt, and it's been on sale for 2/5.00 lately.
  • McBully4
    Options

Peanut butter in oatmeal..? Yuck

is it going to make the oatmeal any worse?
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    1 slice of dry toast and a boiled egg keeps me going for hours and hours!
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You're better off if you can get a nut butter without salt. So the ingredient list would just say: almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I put 1 tbsp peanut butter on my waffle along with 1 tbsp sugar free apricot preserves - it is really good. And I usually have a banana with it. Keeps me full until lunchtime. I usually eat breakfast around 8AM
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I always hate oatmeal because of the texture, too. But now I do overnight oats, where I just soak them in almond milk overnight and don't cook them and I love them! I eat them almost every morning with some blueberries or other fruit in them. And if you use the steel cut oats, they have kind of a chewy/crunchy texture like grape nuts. Yummy!
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just have bio yoghurt and PB on toast. No idea if that's good or bad (??) but I figured its better than <Sugary cereal here>...

At least I hope so.
  • RosieHeartSong
    Options
    Sounds good to me--especially adding the peanut butter. That will help keep you full longer! Good luck!:drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I find that pancakes and sausage make an excellent pre-workout breakfast. I don't have time most mornings, but on the weekends, that's for me. Three pancakes, 1/4 cup maple syrup, two sausage links. :love:
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find that pancakes and sausage make an excellent pre-workout breakfast. I don't have time most mornings, but on the weekends, that's for me. Three pancakes, 1/4 cup maple syrup, two sausage links. :love:

That sounds...Amazing...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I eat baked oatmeal with peanut butter. It tastes more like a chewy granola bar. I hate oatmeal too, unless it's baked to make it crunchy, then it's yum!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Up the protein in the AM. I find that protein and fat work best for me during the day. I can't do anything carby in the morning though. It just makes me sleepy and then ravenous again 90 minutes later (blood sugar spike/crash. Not actual hunger).

Eat a few eggs with some real butter - fried or hard-boiled (maybe some natural uncured bacon with it) and you won't have any interest in food for a good 5-6 hours. And you'll be amazed at the energy you'll have.