Female Athletes come in all weights, shapes and sizes

Options
kendrafallon
kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
An interesting article posted on Yahoo, via Reuters
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fat-fit-over-women-athletes-201446457--spt.html

Fat? We are fit. Get over it, say women athletes
ReutersBy Belinda Goldsmith | Reuters – Sun, Aug 5, 2012 21:14 BST

LONDON (Reuters) - American weightlifter Holley Mangold tips the scales at 346 pounds (157 kilograms) and she is proud of being the heaviest woman at the London Olympics.

Mangold, 22, who competed in the women's 75 kilogram-plus division, is one of growing number of women athletes speaking out at their frustration with the public scrutiny of their body size and image rather than their fitness and skills.

At the 2012 Olympics, a list of top female athletes have hit back at critics who have called them fat including British heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis, Australian swimmer Liesel Jones, and the Brazilian women's soccer team.

For Mangold, her weight is a something to be proud of.

"Between my team mate (Sarah Robles) and I, I think we both showed you can be athletic at any size," said Mangold whose Twitter profile has the tagline "Loving life and living big!"

"I'm not saying everyone is an athlete but I am saying an athlete can come in any size."

Mangold, who suffered a wrist injury three weeks ago, came 10th in a field of 14 on Sunday, watched by her NFL-playing brother Nick, centre for the New York Jets. Robles came seventh.

The 2012 Olympics have been hailed as the 'Women's Games' for including women in all sports and from all national teams with campaigners hoping this will lead to more role models in sport and increase female participation in physical activity.

The Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation (WSFF), a UK charity aiming to get more women into sport to build self-esteem and confidence, said only 12 percent of British girls at age 14 were doing enough exercise to meet recommended guidelines.

WSFF Chief Executive Sue Tibballs said their research found negative body image was consistently cited as a barrier for girls participating in exercise as popular culture gave out the message it was more important to be thin than fit.

She said this negative attitude over body image was also applied to women athletes at the Olympics who are in peak physical condition with healthy body images but still come under fire for being fat.

EATING DISORDERS RIFE

"Women athletes will regularly get comments about their appearance although men won't," said Tibballs.

"This really adds to the pressure on women athletes, many of whom already have a disordered attitude towards foods because they are in a controlled routine where weight is a key issue."

British triathlete Hollie Avil, who competed at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, quit high-level sports in May for the sake of her health after the recurrence of an eating disorder brought on by a coach telling her she was too fat.

Tibballs said it was hard to believe that Ennis, poster girl of the London Games with a rippling washboard stomach, was called fat and accused of carrying too much weight by a high-ranking UK athletics official ahead of the Games.

Ennis, 26, won gold for Britain on Saturday.

Australia's three-times gold medallist swimmer Leisel Jones's figure was questioned by some Australian media before London, who suggested she did not look as fit as at Beijing in 2008.

This sparked an angry reaction from team mates and an online uproar about body image and what constitutes fit or fat.

"I'm embarrassed by the Aussie media having a go at Leisel, one of Australia's greatest Olympians. Support athletes don't drag them down," fellow swimmer Melanie Schlanger tweeted.

"U can't judge fitness from looks anyway and how about we don't criticize at all."

Jones helped Australia win a silver medal in the medley relay in London.

British swimmer Rebecca Adlington, who won two bronze medals at London, told reporters she was going to avoid reading Twitter comments during the Olympics because so many were insults about her appearance.

The Brazilian women's soccer team were called "a bit heavy" by the coach of the Cameroon team after the South Americans won their game against the African nation 5-0.

British weightlifter Zoe Smith won fans when she hit back at attacks on Twitter saying she looked like a "lesbian" and a "bloke", addressing her critics as "chauvinistic, pigheaded blokes who feel emasculated (as) we .. are stronger than them".

"We don't lift weights in order to look hot," said 18-year-old Smith, who set at new British record at London where she came 12th in the women's 58kg class.

"We, as any women with an ounce of self-confidence would, prefer our men to be confident enough in themselves to not feel emasculated by the fact that we aren't weak and feeble."

(Additional reporting by Steve Keating, Editing by Patrick Johnston)

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Based solely on the title of this topic, I knew it was about Holley Mangold.
    -wtk
  • nickmast78
    Options
    arace-mangold-art-gqoi6npd-1olympictrials-kr-05-jpg.jpg

Totally fit
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Lolo JOnes is the HOTTEST athlete going.
  • mbojan2
    mbojan2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love Holley Mangold! I met her at the Arnold in Columbus Ohio and she is the sweetest person! I wish we lived in a world that did judge people based on looks. I also hate that society thinks women can't be strong. I am a women bodybuilder in the making and I am dang proud of that!!!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I went to high school with the daughter of a famous [borderline Hall of Fame] NFL offensive lineman [for her privacy, I've chosen not to share the athlete]. She definitely had her father's upper body--her shape was that of an upside-down isosceles triangle (probably 36-72-72).

She used her massive shoulders and arms to propel herself to becoming one of the top swimmers in the state and eventually went on to swim in one of the top ACC programs.

That said, she probably could have held down the left tackle spot on our high school's offensive line. I just realized I don't really have a point to sharing any of this.
    -wtk
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Can't believe anyone would call Jessica Ennis overweight!! Holley Mangold, on the other hand....but she is obviously super strong and she does not need to have a low BF for her sport.

And Zoe Smith - she is adorable!

Either way, you certainly can't argue with result and performance.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Can't believe anyone would call Jessica Ennis overweight!! Holley Mangold, on the other hand....but she is obviously super strong and she does not need to have a low BF for her sport.

And Zoe Smith - she is adorable!

Either way, you certainly can't argue with result and performance.

Zoe Smith is awesome! Thats pretty awesome that Holley mangold clean and jerked 145kg, but it just seems less impressive technically when you cosider that is half her bodyweight, and girls like Zoe have done 116kg, which is double their bodyweight.

Not *****ing though, that is one awesome achievement.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    On this topic, there's a great article about Jillian Camarena-Williams and her weight. She actually throws better at a higher weight.

http://jezebel.com/5932329/jillian-camarena+williams-is-a-shot-putting-scientist-with-a-license-to-be-really-really-strong

I hate the body snarking by the media!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I remember watching Holly Mangold's True Life on MTV a few years ago, nice to see she made it to the olympics. She is obviously super strong but I don't know....... no part of my brain can compute a human being having that much extra weight and being ok with that. Good for her? :)
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Jessica Ennus is overweight
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Holley Mangold is undoubtedly both fit and fat, and it seems to be working for her, so more power to her. Plus, even if she did want to lose weight, serious caloric restriction would make weight training gains much more difficult, so as long as she's lifting competitively, there is a strong incentive not to diet.

All of that said, it totally blows my mind that anyone would call Jessica Ennis "too heavy," one look at her abs should tell you all your need to know about her body fat levels. Even if Ennis did have higher body fat, she just won a gold metal in a track event, watching her run tells me all I need to know about her fitness level.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    She may be overweight based solely on her height and weight, but I guarantee you that her body fat is in the "healthy" range.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    She may be overweight based solely on her height and weight, but I guarantee you that her body fat is in the "healthy" range.

Her bio says that she's 5' 5" and 125 - 130 lb. Am I missing something? This sounds like an ideal height/weight ratio.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Are you trying to be funny?
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

No - I think he's just being an Annus
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Try at least getting the spelling right, if you're going to be an offensive troll.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is why I never look at BMI...it is just height to weight ratio...which doesn't mean much even in the exercise/fitness/sport/health industry.

Female athletes are amazing. ATHLETES are amazing. We should be proud of them and all the work they put into their sport. And how amazing and talented their bodies are.

Jessica Ennis is a heptathlete in women's track and field. Hands down probably one of the best female athletes in the Olympics. 7 track events in 2 days? (I also think the Men's Decathlete athletes are hands down some of the best athletes out there too).
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options

No - I think he's just being an Annus

He is. He should be banned from message boards :)
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just googled Jessica Ennis and holy crap, she has an awesome body. The media sucks *kitten*.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that Mangold is pretty weak for her weight. Women in the lower weight divisions were out-lifting her.