dried Pinto beans, what on earth can I do with these?

Options

Replies

• TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I cook beans about once a month, a huge crockpot full. I soak them in a big bowl of water overnight, making sure there is about twice the amount of water as there are beans because they will absorb quite a lot of it by the morning. I then drain that water, rinse the beans and toss them into my crockpot. I add boiling water to them in the crockpot, just enough so it covers them by one half to one inch, and cook them on low if I'm starting them in the morning for dinner that night. I cook them on high if I am starting in the afternoon. DO NOT ADD SALT while they cook, or they will stay a bit harder than you like!

When done, I can turn them into some of the great ideas already given. I can make bean soup with some of them, which I love to do when I have had a ham with a bone in it. Save the juices from the cooked ham, add the bone with the cooked beans in the pot, with chopped or diced onions (your preference), allow it to simmer an hour, remove the bone, and you have instant deliciousness. I love beans and rice. I will sometimes just have a cup of cooked pinto beans with half an once of cheese and a diced tomato on top, with salt and pepper, for my lunch. It gives me lots of fiber for keeping me full longer, and is very tasty. Who knows...you might find that you like pinto beans and start buying them already dried, which is much cheaper than the canned kind.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yumm. I must go through 50 # of dried pintos a years. We love beans and put them in everything.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Try Googling "pinto bean burgers." They're tasty!
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    I have a super yummy pinto bean recipe that I make in the crockpot!
    Rinse the beans, soak in water overnight in the crock. Next morning - add a can of diced tomatoes, diced onion & bacon, salt, pepper & garlic & 1/4cup sugar. Turn on low & let cook all day! They are super delicious!
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    There really is some brill ideas here. I think i'm gonna cook them off plain and work my way through them x

Thanks everyone
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bring them to a boil, simmer for one minute, cover and then let soak overnight. Rinse. Add the beans, two onions quartered, a couple of ham hocks, and reduced sodium chicken broth. Beans should be completely covered in liquid. You can also add a lot chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper and bit of cumin if you're using them in Mexican dishes.

Cook on low for at least 8 hours in the crock pot. I cook mine until they thicken up, but that's a personal preference.

Oh, and never add salt when you cook beans. It splits the skins and makes them tough. If you want salt, add it when they are done.

Enjoy!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Make Beans and Rice. Cook as the instructions say. (I always soak and rinse, then use fresh water to cook. This reduces some of the gas!)

yup, this is my method. When cooking other beans, I add hamhocks, greens and onion for added flavor. you can use beef bones as well. (these are just thick cuts of bone mostly used to make beef stock)

masged for burritos, rice, beans and pork is good but mainly for mexican dishes.
  • lala40217
    lala40217 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    heres the easiest way to cook dried beans. i use small red beans from kroger cause i like them the best but you can do this with any dried beans.... get ready... its so easy.....

empty beans into crock pot. cover with water about 2 inches over beans. add 1 rough chopped onion. 5 or 6 cloves of smashed garlic a bit of salt (i use kosher) and if you like cumin add 1 tablespoon. you can put them on before you go to bed on high. i like to put them on sunday morning on low and let them cook til monday morning. i eat them all week long at work-- hope you'll try this! they are soooo good for you and so inexpensive!
  • star31
    star31 Posts: 47
    Options
    I rinse them and throw them in the crock pot covered with about three inches of water. Turn the crockpot on high for about 6 hours. Do not salt until they are soft!!! They seem to not cook as well if you salt them right away. I season them with cumin, onions, garlic and Chili powder and put them in a taco shell or make a taco salad or put them over rice. Super yummy and inexpensive.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I soak them overnight, then put them in a crockpot with some smoked turkey.... yummy :smile:
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I was given a packet of tesco pinto beans and do not have a clue what to do with these wee rock hard bulletts lol. Please give me some help/ideas. The packet just has cooking instructions (so laborious)but no ideas for meals/ snacks.

Thanks in advance

First thought is, throw them in a crockpot with a ham hock for the day. Then mix slaw or mayo with them and make some cornbread. Not the healthiest choice though.. :laugh:

We always cooked dried beans in a crockpot, maybe throw some of your fav seasoings in?
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Soaking beans makes the texture better when cooked. The nice thing about pintos is they cook up soft. I love them. We use a pressure cooker for 10 minutes (add a teaspoon of oil), then add seasonings and veggies for another 5 or 10.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    You're all so helpful, thanks.

When cooked how many days can these be kept in the fridge?
  • lala40217
    Options
    i just read the other replies to your question.. if you add ham hocks you're defeating the purpose of having a healthy meal. when i used ham hocks in mine years ago you had to spoon off the layer of thick jelly-like fat on the top of the beans before you could heat them up. i mean, they were delish but they are almost as good without the ham.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    i just read the other replies to your question.. if you add ham hocks you're defeating the purpose of having a healthy meal. when i used ham hocks in mine years ago you had to spoon off the layer of thick jelly-like fat on the top of the beans before you could heat them up. i mean, they were delish but they are almost as good without the ham.

BOKE, I won't be trying that then lol. Thanks for the tip.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

They will keep for several days. 5-6 I would think, depending on how often you get them out, fridge temp, etc. When they go bad you will know it. Starchy foods smell horrid when they go bad.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Which is why smoked turkey is better with the same flavor. :)
  • lala40217
    Options
    they can stay in the fridge for 4 or 5 days if you dont use any meat in them. they freeze great also. when i freeze them and take them to work i just leave them out on the counter with a few paper towels underneath and then pop them in the microwave for 3 minutes or so. sometimes i have a bit of rice and sometimes i crush up some red hot and blue chips and put hot sauce in them. i'm so hungry.
  • donna_do_good
    Options

They will keep for several days. 5-6 I would think, depending on how often you get them out, fridge temp, etc. When they go bad you will know it. Starchy foods smell horrid when they go bad.

Thanks x
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

:laugh: That's the reason after my reply I added not the healthiest option. I know exactly what you are talking about with spooning the top layer of fat off the top. It was like a protective barrier to the beans!