Tip to avoiding weight gain on the weekends??

Options
Anyone have any advice on how to battle weekend weight? I'm so health conscious all week, eating healthy, working out, not drinking alcohol and then on the weekends I always have plans with friends or family that involve drinks/dinner/going out to eat! How do you control yourself and limit in social events to fight gaining excess lbs on the weekend? I've been trying to lose the same 10lbs for over a year now! I know self control is the first start but I don't go absolutely crazy on the weekends, but I do find that it is a challenge I face.

Replies

• preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Finding I have the same issue.
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have the very same problem, help me
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Don't eat like crap on the weekends, you won't gain! And I mean that in the nicest way possible.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I find it is all about planning. If I know where I am going to eat I look up the nutritional info before hand. I figure out how many calories are in my drinks and figure out how many I can have and not go over my calories. It is a lot of planning and a lot of work but I find it is worth it.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Forgo the social life and stay home? I pick healthier options when I go out with friends but if I indulge, I just make up for it with healthier eating and more exercise the next week. :)
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    split a plate with someone, ask for the dressing on the side. Make sure you workout before you go out to eat or the mall...
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    And also refer to my profile pic for another piece of advice
  • bubmaster
    Options
    you could save your calories from any excercise that you have done,and have treats at the weekend :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Watch what you eat and drink... Have a big veggie salad with dressing on the side as your meal. Have an appetizer (like shrimp cocktail) instead of a giant meal. Have a single adult beverage, and then switch over to water, seltzer, or diet soda. I know it's not ideal, but eat cleaner during the week and 'save' calories for the weekend. Work out extra hard/extra long on those days.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I plan and pre-log as much as possible. I decide if I'm going to drink, how many and what and I stick to my plan. If I know I'm going out to eat, I go to the restaurant's website and look at their menu. I use MFP to estimate the claories if the website doesn't have nutritional information and choose what I'll eat before I go. That helps me avoid ordering while I'm super hungry which leads to over ordering. If there's no really good choices, then I'll ask the waiter to bring a box with the meal so I can immediately pack half of it away to bring home.

I don't deprive myself but I do plan ahead so I can have more control over how far over I allow myself to go. I'll also try to get in an extra workout over the weekend if I know I'm going to be really over on my calories.
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i need to remember to do this myself but i used to order something lower calorie and when the food gets to the table, ask for a box immediately. when i got the box, i put half of it away for lunch the next day or something. This helps with the amount of food and lowers potential calories.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    request that you go to a restaurant that has your favorite chicken grilled salad or other healthy meal that you *enjoy*
    There are a lot of healthy meals that I *love* but aren't easy to prepare or cheap to buy individual ingredients. Or bring a dish you want to share.

BYOB when it's at a family's house.

If your family and friends rag on you for not drinking/eating the junk they prepare for dinner, don't accept so many invitations and suddenly become a "busier" person.

Do your shopping on thursday for the weekend when you're still health conscious.
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    I drink a lot of water on the weekends to make myself fuller if I am going to have something unhealthy so I don't eat too much. Plus I work out whether its going to a Zumba class at the gym or going for a long walk with my mom and dog. Just do something instead of nothing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Eat like you do during the week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    A very common problem, self included once in awhile. You know what you must do, stick to your plan all weekend. If you do go out, make as good of choices as you can and bump up the exersize.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Track everything you eat, even if it is high calorie. Just the act of writing it down can help you keep more on track. Plan what you are going to have before you go. Eat a lower calorie appetizer as your meal or have a big salad with some protein on it as your entree. Stick to one or two drinks. Focus on enjoying your time with your friends/family and not on eating. You can also suggest non-food focused events or suggest a potluck dinner - then you can make something you like and know fits within your plan.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Simply, know that you can lighten up on the diet but don't do a "challenge accepted" and see how much you can physically force down your throat in a 48 hour period.

Take some time to work out how much a pint of beer or glass of wine contains in calories and eat/drink appropriately.

PS It's possible to have a lot of fun at a party without getting drunk...
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I find it is all about planning. If I know where I am going to eat I look up the nutritional info before hand. I figure out how many calories are in my drinks and figure out how many I can have and not go over my calories. It is a lot of planning and a lot of work but I find it is worth it.

This is exactly what I do. I've found that planning is the key. There's no reason you can't go out and enjoy yourself if you plan for it. You might even suggest a restaurant that you know you can make a healthy choice. I allow myself one treat a week and it helps me to stay on track. Here's my motto for the weekends: If you're going somewhere for the food, eat whatever you want. If you're going out for friends, make the best choice possible.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I excercise more when I know I might overindulge. And I try to make healthier choices. I do still indulge in the alcohol (sometimes a bit too much!) but usually don't have a gain. Water weight gain for a day or two then it's gone again.

It's just a matter of making better choices when you are at those social events. I always think about what might be there and decide what I'm going to partake in prior to going. I'm not saying it helps me all the time, but for the most part it does.
  • jpoulsen2
    jpoulsen2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try to come up with social events that don't center around food. Instead of making plans to go out for drinks, make plans to grab a cup of coffee/tea and go window shopping. A 0 calorie cup of tea and two hours of walking around stores ends up being more of a work out than sitting on the sofa, you still get to hang out with friends and family, and you haven't over indulged. Little changes in your social plans like this can really start to add up!