motivation to get to the gym today

Options
I just plain don't want to go today....LOL - how do I get myself there? I know that it makes dieting sooo much easier. What do you do to keep yourself motivated to work out each day?

Replies

• jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I honestly hated working out when I first started.. Finding the motivation was almost impossible. But I eventually found something that I love to do. Which makes it so much easier to go out and do it. If you love doing what you do then you are more likely to do it. My two things that I love to do are, my bootcamp class (it kicks my behind and makes me feel like I REALLY worked out) and Biking. I use to love running but then I got an injury and I haven't gotten back into it yet.

On the days that I have zero motivation now I tell myself that I can stop after I do 30 mins on what ever machine I choose to do. I usually end up working out for at least 1.5 hours even on those days. lol Because I end up talking myself into doing it longer. But on the days I don't then at least I have a half hour of working out for the day, which is so much better than nothing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the night before an early morning workout, I look at pictures of athletes or watch youtube videos of crossfit competitions. Then I practically bounce out of bed ready to hit the gym.

Sweating my *kitten* off is a tumblr that i get lost in for embarrassing long periods of time.

http://sweatingmyassoff.tumblr.com/
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    What helps me is I have a few friends that will totally rag me out if I don't get to the gym. And I do the same for them :)
    We even compete who can do the most, or who gets up earlier, etc.

Makes it fun and you don't want to slack!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, I wasn't lying when I said I wanted this.
    Second of all, nothing.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    How do you get yourself there? Hell if I know. What's your address? I'll google it and find some multiple routes for you. My guess would be walk, bike, or drive. The first and second ones may be a little dangerous if it's hot outside, so be sure to bring some water.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have very cute gym clothes, sneakers, and bag and I really like the classes and the people I see there. Maybe you need to try something different.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just get up and do it! It sucks at the time your getting up to do it, but once your done you wont regret it! The feeling I have after a good workout is what makes me do it, and knowing I am one step closer to my goals!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Do 50 jumping jacks, 25 pushups, 25 squats, 10 burpees, and 15 straight lunges per leg.

Now you don't have to go to the gym.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Think about how much better you will feel afterwards! You won't be guilty and you will get a nice mood and energy boost from the workout!
  • damzie
    damzie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Decide on Sunday what days you will work out for that upcoming week and then do it. Don't make it an option, don't ask yourself if you feel like it. Stop looking for tricks to motivate yourself. Just make a commitment to yourself and then honor it.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I promise myself I will at least get dressed and go there. If after my first set, I still really don't want to be there, then I promise myself I will leave. I have yet to leave the gym after that first set ;-)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Nothing motivates me. I just get up and do it and know that it will be over before I know it. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my future size motivates me! just thinking that every time i go to the gym its a step closer to looking the way i want to look!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I go even if I don't feel like it. Chances are every time, I feel better and I'm very happy I decided to go.
  • bxsweety
    bxsweety Posts: 12
    Options
    My motivation is the fact that i hate how much bigger i've gotten over the years and complaining and fad diets have not helped. So i am really at the point that i made a conscious decision to change. Now i enjoy sweating and thinking about the improved me that i will soon see.
  • maggiek01
    maggiek01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Girl friend get up and go! You may not feel like it right now, but trust me you'll feel so much better after. It can turn a negative attitude into a positive attitude within an hour. Do it for you! The results cannot come if the work is not put in. Nothing is easy. And with that being said the hard work does pay off. You can do it.... GO.... GO... GO!
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That was me yesterday. Did not want to go! But, I did. And it felt great! Some of my best workouts happen when I really didn't want to go. Also, I always think about the clothes I will be wearing to work the next day - it's just easier (psychologically) getting dressed in the morning after a great previous evening workout.

Just don't think about it - just go. Don't think! Don't think! Go. Go. Go.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are days where you just don't want to do it. I personally love doing my workouts in the morning. It has naturally become part of my routine and its nice to have it out of the way for the day and it seems to give me an extra energy boost. On mondays when I don't work its hard to get motivated but I either look at the fitness section on pinterest or watch a portion of extreme makeover weightloss edition and it really helps inspire me. My daughter and I both love the fresh air so we go out for jogs on monday and I just think about how great I will feel afterwards and it isn't so bad :)
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do early morning cardio so I won't have an excuse not to go, plus I feel so much better the rest of the day after I finish. The way I feel after I have pushed my body to its limits cannot be put into words. Plus, I put the tv in the gym on Insanity or P90X infomercials so I feel as if I am competing against the people on tv on who can workout harder and longer.
  • Julieandpaloma
    Julieandpaloma Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome - so I went to the gym!! Did 44 minutes on elliptical and 450 crunches....wooohooo. And my mental state of mind is so much better. Now I can handle the multipe BORING technical conference calls I have this afternoon.