Plantar Fasciitis

Options

Replies

• juliasnewlife
    juliasnewlife Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Proper shoes and orthotics are key. I also purchased these and they help tremendously:

http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Arch-Sleeves-10085.aspx
  • caliban2
    Options
    Have a mild PF in my right foot - ibuprofen for it's anti-inflammatory effect, towel stretches and cold can/bottle massage are working well, but it is slow. I am still running, albeit on grass, and when it twinges I stop.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I found a GREAT girl that works at Clarks who also has the ailment. She was able to show me shoes to wear that did the trick. As long as I wear the shoes she showed me, I'm painfree. No excercises needed and I'm back to running on a treadmill painfree :)
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis about 15 years ago, and I had it BAD. For weeks, I had to take baby steps around the house in the morning until my feet loosened up enough for me to talk normally. And even then, it still hurt.

The best advice I got was to roll my feet over tennis balls (or cans of food, or anything that's round or rolls). I'd keep a tennis ball at work, kick my shoe off and roll my foot over the tennis ball as I worked. Not all day long, but just from time to time. Not so much pressure that I tried to break the tennis ball, but enough to feel it. I'd also do this while sitting around the house at night. Just from time to time...it wasn't an all-day, every-day commitment.

Lemme tell ya, this worked like a CHARM. The pressure on the bottom of my foot really stretched things out and relieved the pain. Within days of starting this, I felt immeasurably better and my mornings weren't hell anymore. IIRC (remember, this was 15 years ago), I think I was pain-free within a week.

Give it a shot. I'd love to know if it works for you, too. :)

Good luck!
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Keeping my foot flexed and keeping that tendon stretched as much as possible along with the inserts helped me a lot. It take a long time to heal I was able to keep a pretty regular schedule but mornings sucked for sure.
    If you feel like you need to get a shot maybe look into the night boot.
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've actually had foot surgery on a wart, that had really messed my foot up and the needles weren't too bad! I just got a few in my toes and it was agonizing but I'm glad I got it over with! :)
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here.

I get this pretty chronically. Nothing makes it go away short of doing no exercise, but the following have helped me quite a bit:

I switched to elliptical instead of the treadmill when it flares up.
    I tape my problem foot (there is a method of taping your arch to help support that area - Google it)
    I do a cold soak of my legs after the workout.
    I roll out my calves and on either side of my shins with a foam roller or rolling stick after working out.
    I have a night splint which keeps my foot at the proper angle all night. (Annoying but effective)
    I do the frozen water bottle and roll a baseball under my arch at my desk,
    and, I always wear shoes or supporting flip flops with an arch.

All of these help somewhat. Good luck, hopefully your issue will get better! :wink:

The only other thing I can see that you're not doing is to freeze water in a plastic bottle and roll your heels over it from time to time - sort of a ice massage?
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Get a night splint from your doc and wear it every night. Get shoe inserts and buy better running shoes. Stretch your calves as much as possible--throughout the day. And, yes, avoid running on concrete, if possible. Finally, ice it by rolling your foot over a frozen water bottle after you run whether it's hurting right then or not because it'll probably hurt later. It slowly gets better. Sometimes I forget I have it and then I'll go for run and afterwards remember: 'Oh right!' And if you're in a lot pain, quit running for a few days. You DO NOT want the cortisone shot unless it's the last resort.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Heel spurs and plantar facitis are the same thing.

No they are not

Heel spurs are the calcification of the area where the plantar fascia tendon inserts into the heel. they are often related but are not the same thing.

try this

http://www.thesock.com/

yes they are completely different i think you can have heel spurs surgically removed .
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    good supportive shoes with a tiny bit of heel (think dankso height, not more than an inch or so. I had a pair of birkenstock tatami sandals that I literally wore anytime I was home, had em bedside in case I needed to get up at night, otherwise, I couldn't make it to the bathroom), the stretching. what about a sleeping boot? that REALLY helped me out, I got it from my doc. if you want to try it out first, and you can fit on your couch, get so that both feet are 90 degrees, like you're standing, and try to sleep or rest a bit that way. I also got my foot taped (I did it on my own too, but it was never as good as when the doc did it) to help provide a bit more support. I never had more than orthotics and advil, never had to get shots or have surgery, and I've been pain free for quite a few years (even at my heaviest weight, of course my pain started when I wasn't even hardly overweight (if that).
  • LHG520
    LHG520 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have plantar faciitis in my right foot. Ugh! My podiatrist made me custom inserts for my sneakers and I've had 5 shots at this point. Ouch! I definitely don't recommend them if you can avoid them but they're better now than before, they used to be right into the bottom of the foot now they do it on the side. I couldn't, my foot just hurt so bad that I literally couldn't walk at times. I do all the stretching and stuff especially before I work out. I do a lot of walking but if I use a machine it's an elliptical to keep the pounding to a minimum. I still wear flip flops but I wear ones with a bit of a heel and it's better. But I still walk around barefoot at home and it aches after a while. I am now finding that it's getting better as I'm losing weight though, thank heaven! Massage like some others have said also works well. Good luck and I hope it gets better for you soon.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had Plantar Fascitis. I ended up getting the cortisone shot. about a week later i was still in pain and i was playing football. the cortisone had weakened the tendons in the arch of my foot and they torn. My dr said that honestly that was the best thing that could have happened because had I elected to have surgery they would have went in and cut those same tendons. that was 10 yrs ago and not a problem since.
  • BobbieJeanDietQueen
    Options
    ProStretch Bilateral Foot Stretch http://prostretch.com/

This thing looks weird, but my husband has suffered from Plantar Fasciitis for years. His PT suggested it and he has not had any problems since he started using it. He got his on ebay, I think.
    Plus, he got the bilateral one so you can stretch both feet at the same time.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I went to a podiatrist and he recommend Skechers running shoes with the cantilever spring. I got 6 pairs at an outlet for $25 each. They focus the weight in front of the heal, and have been MAGIC for me. I suffered for 5 ears and gave up.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lots of really interesting and different solutions! I had problems for years. I had a doughnut type insert that would let me walk, but it still hurt. I started going to bed every night with an ice pack strapped to my foot, and was better in about a month. It's been several years since then, with no recurrence of the problem.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • asb46
    asb46 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What finally got rid of my PF was the return of warm weather and getting my feet back in my CROCS.
  • Runners1206
    Runners1206 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had Plantar Faciitis a couple of years ago. Highly recommend stretching and limit the amount of time you spend doing high impact exercising. I tried to spend most of my time on the ellipitcal and/or recumbent bike. My doctor said stretching before you ever get out of bed was very important. Just point and flex and rotate your ankles, Make sure your shoes are giving you enough support. I had to get Asics, Gel Kayanos worked for me and with time I did get over it. Don't stop exercising just find what you can do that eases the pain.
  • lazydaisy88
    lazydaisy88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel you! Mine was in the morning, but also any time I rested my leg for more then 15-30 minutes . . . very painful and frustrating! My doctor suggested a boot (night splint) at night; I ordered it online. Worked wonders. I could feel it stretching out and apparently that is when the micro-tears heal(?). Who knew! Also, I used ice which was counter-intuitive because I thought it needed heat . . Additionally, I used something called "Foot Rubz" for dancers . . I bought them off Amazon. One for under my desk at work and kept one at home for the evenings/mornings. The first few minutes are a bit intense, but then magical . . . Been great for almost two years now . . .

Edit: I have my boot (night splint) from here, but bought it off Amazon also.

http://www.birdcronin.com/

And a LOT of stretching, before getting outof bed, after a long commute (before getting out of the car), sitting in front of the TV or at the movies . . I mean I streatched it out a lot!
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fill a 20 oz water or pepsi bottle with water and freeze it then roll it around with the soles of your feet. You can do the same thing with a tenniss ball.

^^ This! It helps so much!

^^^^^^^^^^Agreed. Im a Physical Therapist Assistant and we recomend this one like crazy. Also rolling a golf ball on the floor with your arch will hurt but it will help. Just keep stretching and getting in there with a ball or water bottle. If you keep trying that for a few weeks and nothing changes then you may need PT. Minamalist shoes help some and not others so its really just something to try...unfortunately they are expensive to just "try" lol.