How soon is too soon?

Options

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I said it within a month of dating, but was sure I'd marry him before our first date. Six years of being right on that hunch, and counting.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I developed a crush on this guy around last October or so. There was a little bit of flirting for a few months and it was around March when we finally told each other we liked each other (although it was already pretty obvious. The actual confessions of feelings happened during a 3AM text message conversation. He said 'I really like you', I said 'the feelings are mutual', we went back to normal conversation and didn't bring it up again for a while.)

I don't remember when I first started feeling it because I ignored it (like most of my feelings), but I do remember that in late March, backstage at a musical I was stage managing, a friend and I were talking about the stuff going (the whole story with him and me is very complicated, but it involved some drama with my best friend and we were trying to not do anything until everything was okay... so at this point, we had admitted our feelings towards each other and held hands a few times. And that was it.) and my friend asked me "What are your feelings for him? Do you just like him or...do you love him?"

And of course, I got all flustered and was like "What? What what what no, why, huh, what, I don't, what do you, I don't know, what" but I had already thought to myself a few times that maybe... maybe I did a little bit? But it felt ridiculous because we had barely even been together romantically so how could I love him in a romantic way? It was very very very confusing.

As time went on and we got closer, I realized that yeah, I loved him. I still haven't told him, though. And considering that we aren't really together right now due to reasons beyond either of our control, I doubt I will tell him any time soon. The closest I've come is by giving him a mix CD for his birthday with a song on it that clearly says those words. But I don't know if he caught that or not.

Maybe when things finally work out between us for real, I'll get around to telling him. I'm terrible when it comes to talking about my feelings, though, so I almost envy people who have no problem saying it after like, three weeks of knowing a person. And it certainly doesn't help that I've never told anybody that I love them (besides my mom and nephews and cats, of course.)

So I guess my opinion is that it hardly even depends on how quickly the feelings develop, because some people feel things sooner (or are more ready to admit the feelings to themselves sooner), and if they don't have a problem saying it out loud right away, then... good for them. Some people may never say it, no matter how much they feel it.

And wow, that was a long ramble. Oops.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I told my wife I loved her on our second date. I proposed on the third. We're going to Vegas on Friday to celebrate our 20th Anniversary.

I wish I had told her on my first date and married her on my second. I'm still very much in love with her.
    Yup. That tugged at my heartstrings alright.

:sad:
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Who cares if they're using the "L" word. How does it effect your life?

Every one is different. Some people say it immediately. Some people it takes months or even years to say it. Just because one couple decides that they're in love within three weeks of meeting (hell people get married within weeks of meeting each other!) doesn't mean they're "throwing the word around" and that it has "no meaning".

Chill out and be happy for them. They aren't causing you or anyone else any harm by saying they love each other so why get your panties in a bunch over it? It has nothing to do with you.

This. I wish people would spend less time criticizing other people and their life. It's none of your business and you have no right to judge them.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    For my current relationship, I think it was about 10 days. We were 16/17 and definitely infatuated with each other. We were together for a year and four months before splitting, then got back together 7 weeks later. Almost a year back together, almost 2.5 years since our first date. We now live together for half of the year and have a long distance relationship due to college for the other half.

It was probably too early but it all worked out in the end. Still very much in love.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My (now) husband said he loved me before I said I loved him, it freaked me right out to begin with lol (it was around a month of us being together) We have been together for 7 years in October this year. I guess it depends on the people
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    It really just depends, you just seem to know. Me and my wife were only togther for three weeks, before we said it, by far the fastest I ever did. There was only one other time I told a girl that, and that took months, and was one of my first relationships. We've been togther for over 10 years, and I still feel the same way today. Everyone is different, and sometimes it just happens. ALthough I will agree with some others, if its your first actual relationship, I can see it happening simply because you do not know any better.
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    I told my wife I loved her on our second date. I proposed on the third. We're going to Vegas on Friday to celebrate our 20th Anniversary.

I wish I had told her on my first date and married her on my second. I'm still very much in love with her.
    ^^This man has won at life.

What she said
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I said "I love you" to my current bf after only three weeks of dating. Actually it slipped out. I called him a dork or something and he goes "why did you call me a dork" and my response was "you're a dirk because I love you". I immediately started blushing and I covered my mouth. He gave me a hard time and was like "awe you
    Love me I knew you'd say it first" I was embarrassed bc I didn't mean to say it but as I thought about it I knew I meant it. The next night we were watching tv and he leaned over and whispered I love you too in my ear. I was afraid i was imagining things so u didn't say anything back. And finally the next night laying in bed I said I love u to him and he said it back. We are one if those couples that have pretty much been inseparable since our first date. Most people think we have moved way to fast. But I mean who is to but a time scale on these things. Only we know what's in our hearts and our heads.

I love this story!!! It's the cutest story EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! I can picture something like that happening to me! :)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have had a few boyfirends, but never said it to anyone besides my current Jesse. Its a really strong word to me. I had a guy cry in high school because I refused to say it back :P
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I **** you not, a woman that I work with was engaged to her now husband within 4 weeks of dating, they've been together for 30+ years.

No such thing as too soon if everything feels right.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The first night I met my wife I told her we were going to get married. She laughed and said I was crazy. 19 yrs later we are still together. :D
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I told my husband I loved him the day after we officially got together...but we had known each other for 6 years, his mom & my G-mom we great friends for 20 some years, and we dated for about a month before we were "official".

But, to each their own. Yes, some people do throw it around a bit too quickly but, others truly mean it.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Who cares how long they've been together? And how does it affect you? Hell, if they can have a little bit of happiness, even if it's temporary, why would you want to talk her out of it?

So many people talk about how people say "love" easily. But there are so many degrees to love, who's to say whether what they're feeling is or isn't?

I love my boyfriend, I love my MFPeeps, I love cheese. All are completely true, and completely different.

Leave em be.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    The first time I saw my wife, I was smitten. 17 years later, we're still together, and I'm still madly in love with her.
    Well aren't YOU the man we're all looking for. Good for you, so happy for you and your wife!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    to say I love you? I have a friend who has been with her boyfriend, maybe 3 weeks. Last week they were already using the 3 words. I love you. Is there no meaning to that word anymore? I understand that you can care about someone deeply. I LOVE my daughter. I have a boyfriend, I CARE about him a lot. But I don't see myself saying I love you that soon especially first (Never have been the first one) My ex even proposed after being with me for 1 month. I don't think that you know a person well enough to know if you LOVE them that soon. What was the soonest you or your loved one said I love you, and how long did it last after that?
    Too soon for whom? You? You are making a lot of assumptions, it sounds, about your friend not REALLY being in love.

We said it on the third date and meant it. If you don't see yourself getting that close that fast, then don't. But don't presume to know about how others function. Everyone's different!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I believe you can love someone instantly.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I love you :heart:
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a timeline for saying the words I love you. i don't know, it just depends on the person. When you're ready to put the ACTIONS behind it, its never too soon.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The first time I saw my wife, I was smitten. 17 years later, we're still together, and I'm still madly in love with her.

My beloved told me he loved me a few weeks in, we've now been together six+ years and we have a fabulous four year old*points to monkey on my back in profile pic* I don't think it's for anyone else to judge. Sometimes you just know, and while some people do throw 'love' around, it's still their business in my honest opinion you should wish them the best of luck and go on about your business. ; )