Nothing is working!!!!!!

Options
I started on 1200 like so many and lost my first 22lbs fairly easily. Consistently averaging 1lb a week.

Then I stopped losing so I upped my calories and I just cant seem to get it moving again!!! I upped my cals to 1440 about 6 weeks ago and I gained a pound back. After 4 weeks I dropped my cals to 1300 and I've still not lost that pound I gained.

I've tried doing a week with no exercise, a week with loads of exercise and didnt make a difference. I've tried different exercises and no difference there either.

I was originally doing MFP recommendations for macros and I changed those to 40/30/30 (carbs/fast/protein) about 4 weeks ago and thats made no difference. I've recently started tracking sugar and its a little high could that be the problem???

I'm only short (5'2") so I'm scared to eat too much since my BMR is pretty low and I have a desk job so when I dont exercise I'm very sedentary.

My diary is open....please help!!

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've also been taking measurements and I'm up half an inch around my waist from my lowest too with everwhere else I measure the same....
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Half the time you are over your daily calories. I noticed once you were over by about 1000 calories!

Protein intake seems ok. Sodium intake is good.

My best guess at the moment is that you are significantly over estimating your calories burned in exercise, and the fact that you eat over you calories rather often doesn't seem to help.

You may want to set MFP for 0.5lbs weight loss now. You are short and you don't weigh much, you may be trying too hard.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Are you drinking water?
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the half pound goal and eat back exercise calories. You will have more calories to play with but might find it will boost your metabolism.

Whats your BMR?
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Half the time you are over your daily calories. I noticed once you were over by about 1000 calories!

Protein intake seems ok. Sodium intake is good.

My best guess at the moment is that you are significantly over estimating your calories burned in exercise, and the fact that you eat over you calories rather often doesn't seem to help.

You may want to set MFP for 0.5lbs weight loss now. You are short and you don't weigh much, you may be trying too hard.

I was about to say the same thing.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    For me you eat way too much sodium (processed food) and if you drink water it is not being logged. MFP sodium limit is WAY too high. According to Health Canada, it should be closer to 1200 - 1500 (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/sodium-eng.php) but your mileage may vary. Too much salt = water retention = no loss.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    just a thought but you may want to check with your Dr and have bloodwork done too- make sure everything is on track for you, me, super underactive thyroid- very frustrating, because weight loss is harder- not impossible but takes longer and I work out like crazy!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    keep it at 1440 for more than a week. your body is gonna register a gain at first but it evens back out i promise. you just need to give it 2-3 weeks. you'll lose more. And you need to stay under/only slightly over your calorie goal.
  • Sojaided34
    Sojaided34 Posts: 113
    Options
    I would say the same thing. You are eating too many calories. I'd rather be under a bit than over a lot. I agree with everyone else and do the .5 lb weight loss. Good luck.
  • 118R3volution
    Options
    Here this little article might help...

The Heartbeat of Fat Loss

Your heart rate influences what your body breaks down for energy to sustain activity. If your heart rate goes too high for too long, your body might use muscle instead of fat for energy.

When your heart rate is sustained at a lower rate, you body is able to break down fat fast enough to provide the energy to sustain your exercise activity.

The heart rate level at which the fat/muscle switch flips is dependent on a person's level of aerobic shape, but most agree that 65% of your maximum BPM is the trigger point.

If you want burn fat, drop your BPM to 65% or lower and sustain that activity for 45 minutes to one hour, 3 times per week. It will no longer be a matter of "if," but "when" your hard work is rewarded in the mirror.

-Greg Plitt

So my suggestion would be to continue giving your body the nutrients it needs and change your exercise program. Try 3 days of this low intensity training for 45-60 minutes each session at a steady 65% BPM (129 BPM for me, but it depends on age). On these same days, dedicate 20-30 minutes to some resistance training. If you can go 4 or 5 days per week to the gym, add in one day of HIIT training to keep your metabolism fired and cardiovascular conditioning.

Other things....

- Drink more water
    - Get more Sleep
    - Stretching daily
    - Really cut back sugar and control your daily intake
  • EmmaM2211
    Options
    Yes I'm drinking 2-4 litres of water. Sorry I forgot to mention I dont log it.

My BMR is 1440.

I still have at least another 20lbs to lose and could lost 30lbs and still be in the healthy weight range for my height so doing that at 0.5lbs per week would be sooo painful!! I thought you went down to 0.5lbs per week for the last 10lbs?
  • delong99
    delong99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At 5'2" you probably aren't burning as many calories as you think you are. I never go with what MFP says it thinks I burn - I usually cut their estimate in half.
  • Tnia
    Tnia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I definetly the same way . I lost the 33lbs the same way but nothing is working. I think you should probably see a personal trainer or even a weight loss doctor. I dont know what Im doing wrong either. Im always under my calorie. I know I work out harder than I have before and I notice I lost inches but no pounds at all. I would like an answer too!
  • EmmaM2211
    Options
    I did have my limit set to 1440 for 4 weeks and I gained weight! I kept at it to see if it started to go down but it didnt and now I cant even lose that bit I gained...

I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible and cook a lot of home cooked things - only eat processed when I'm out with friends once a week mostly
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I checked your food journal -- looks good except I'd cut out sugar entirely, or at least that Special K bar you seem to eat every other day ;-) Also, I'd consider cutting out all white carbs, too. Some people are sensitive to them and seem to lose weight faster when removing them. Finally, I'd consider some HIIT and weight training to boost your overall metabolism instead of moderately intense steady-state cardio.

Also, I don't understand why some people would suggest eating more calories for any more than a single day to "boost" your metabolism. I've heard about having a cheat day or cheat meal to boost one's metabolism (I've seen zero research supporting this though) but not a week or more.

Cutting calories and maybe cutting white carbs/sugars are the most well-supported ways of losing fat.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You hardly have any weights and you are doing all cardio. A lot of days just walking or cleaning. Your estimates on your exercise seem a little bit too high so you are probably over you calories almost every day. That isn’t going to cut it. This will make your tummy get larger based on over eating and over estimating your workouts. You need to up your workouts. 3 days cardio either HIT style or ladders for 30 min at least and 3 days weights with heavy weights! To accurately estimate your workouts think about a HRM. I am short and don’t weigh a lot so MFP was WAY over estimating my burn by over 200-300 calories per workout! Also think about keeping your calories around 1500. I see you going way over some days like 2500 or 1900. Your only 5’2 so 1500 is good, you can even bring it lower for a bit to jump start you back to where you were at. I am doing around 1200 myself for a bit to get to the next level however, I stay around 1500-1600 when I am not. Remember every 3500 calories is a pound. Try this for at least a month. Take Sundays off your body does need to rest but try and stay under 2k on Sundays for your calories. Do this and it will work, no worries at all.
  • LaxJac
    LaxJac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Water....You should be taking in 1 Oz. of water for every 2 Lbs. of weight. Following the 8, 8 oz. servings is fine is someone is 128 Lbs., but people like myself need much more. The thing is, figure out what you need and stay consistent. The water helps flush fats from the kidneys and aids in weight loss. If you don't get to your target, your body holds on to what you take in (both food and water), if you get to your target and stay there, your body gets the signal that it is OK to open the flood gates and let it out. It seems counter intuitive, but trust me I can predict my weight loss based on water intake (my calories are very consistent). More is OK to some extent, but less is BAD. Also, water = water (not flavored water, not zero calorie electroylte drinks, just good old fashion water).
  • EmmaM2211
    Options
    I would say the same thing. You are eating too many calories. I'd rather be under a bit than over a lot. I agree with everyone else and do the .5 lb weight loss. Good luck.

This is a bit contradictory....you say I'm eating too many cals but by changing my goal to 0.5lbs a week it would give me more to eat?

Maybe eating all of my exercise cals is the fault - I did have a HRM but it broke (damn stupid cheap thing lol)
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat back your exercise calories, I suggest getting a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate reading on your calorie burn from exercise. When I got mine, I found my estimates from the database and other sources were nearly twice the actual burn reported by my HRM.
  • 118R3volution
    Options
    Also, try eating a more stable breakfast first thing in the morning. It will set your day up SO much better than just a granola/cereal bar.

These kinds of food....

- 3 egg whites
    - Organic brown rice cake
    - Apple
    - Blueberries/Raspberries
    - Organic instant oatmeal (plain, check for 0 sugar added)
    - Black coffee