Weight Watchers vs.MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsdamr
    mrsdamr Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Having been a member of weight watchers since I was 8 and seeing all the changes through the years - I can tell you it is accounted for - even being free. If you log an entire bag of vegetables on line - the points DO NOT come up with Zero - it does count it - I did it for years - and know that it counts it. As of right now - I haven't lost anything on MFP - if anything I've gained. I'm trying now to figure out what is going on....
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you log it or not, your body will count it.

lol this
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    So ask WW, if I eat a bag of 200 cal veggies for each meal, does that mean I haven't eaten today?

I think WW is assuming people don't eat enough fruits and veggies and so this is thier way of getting people to eat them. It might work for some... Not to be redundant, a calorie is a calorie.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Old saying"Nothing in life is free." I ahve tried WW several times without great success. I found it to be too restrictive for my life style. I find MFP a good fit. You can eat most of what you want. There is a tremndous support system.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    i never really understood why weight watchers would have foods that didn't count as calories. veggies and fruits have calories, granted they don't have as much as other foods, but i think that if you eat something, you need to count it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hate meetings. I go to enough of them already. :tongue:
  • lunagirl818
    Options
    this was a huge debate when i was in WW. what it comes down to is this-- INDIVIDUALLY a fruit or veggie is zero. when combined they are not. and if you combine them as a recipe they will NOT be zero on WW in their recipe generator. same with a salad.

every week people would argue their salads were zero. and every week the leader would say they were not. the people who said their salads were zero also lost at a lower level since in reality they were frequently going over points they were not counting.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    wtf that doesnt even make sense. reason #1928712 im on MFP instead of WW.
  • richellekramer
    Options
    WW points didn't work for me either. I much prefer to count calories. I am learning much more about good food choices this way too.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I agree, a calorie is a calorie no matter what it is.
    I also believe if you use WW, you need to use WW... nothing else and vice versa.

They all work a bit different and when I started on MFP I tried to do WW too and it was a mess.

I have used WW numerous times and always had success losing 40ish lbs, but I always gained it back.
    On MFP I have had bigger success over a longer period of time, and lost it quicker to be honest. This time I wanted a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet that I consider WW to be (that is just me)

Good luck!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you log it or not, your body will count it.

^^ this..

Stay within your calorie goal! If you put it in your mouth..count it!
  • mizarmadillo
    mizarmadillo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers works on a point system that doesn't take calories into consideration. They look at Protein, Fat, Carbs, and Fibre (you either count calories or fat intake, not both, for diet/weigh management). Since Vegetables have high Fibre, moderate/low Carbs and low Protein/Fat, they count it as free points.
    Allowing Vegetables to be considered "Free" also encourages program users to fuel up on vegetables instead of forcing them to weight vegetables to timbits as opportune costs (i.e. "I could have 6 carrots, or enjoy this yummy doughnut!" :wink:).
    Also keep in mind that 1 Point is equal to 50 calories, but again they weigh differently. I agree that vegetables should be enjoyed as much as possible, especially raw greens, however what I don't like is Weight Watcher's new "Fruits are Free" rule. It used to be just Vegetables, but they have now included fruit, which has a higher carb/sugar content and less Fibre than veggies. the reasoning for this, however is similar in that they encourage smoothies and a greater fibre intake. :happy:
    Sorry this was long, but I hope it helps!!:flowerforyou:
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I agree, a calorie is a calorie no matter what it is.
    I also believe if you use WW, you need to use WW... nothing else and vice versa.

They all work a bit different and when I started on MFP I tried to do WW too and it was a mess.

I have used WW numerous times and always had success losing 40ish lbs, but I always gained it back.
    On MFP I have had bigger success over a longer period of time, and lost it quicker to be honest. This time I wanted a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet that I consider WW to be (that is just me)

Second, but I had no success on WW. Between those extra points and the free fruits and veggies, I didn't have to make a single change to my diet, weird right?! So WW don't log it, MFP log it. But you should really choose one and stick to it.
    Good luck!
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I started on WW too. I couldnt seem to stick to it. The points just didnt work for me. I did the old version because its what my mom had and i wasnt paying for the new stuff. I like MFP much much better. but my friend does WW and tried MFP but is going back to WW because she cant seem to track on here. different things work for different people
  • sillab
    sillab Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have recently started WW and therefore am now doing both WW and MFP. I feel that WW keeps me honest as I physically have to go and get on a scale! I love the support and great ideas that I get here at MFP. However, it really does come down to personal choice.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that 1 Point is equal to 50 calories
    How about 1 calorie equals 1 calorie or 50 calories equals 50 calories? Keep it simple.
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers for several years. When I stuck to the program, it worked. However, I find MFP much easier and so far it is really working for me, and I kept dropping Weight Watchers because I HATED going to the meetings. If you didn't lose that week, it was miserable. And I didn't like sitting around and listening to someone whine that they couldn't eat vegetables or drink water.

I will say that if you know nothing about nutrition and how to lose weight in a healthy way (vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, etc., not Snackwells), then Weight Watchers can be helpful. But, you could also get a few books or read some web sites and educate yourself (WebMD is very good). If you already know about nutrition and exercise, I recommend myfitnesspal.

Also, I never liked the idea of being wedded to Weight Watchers "points" system. It is a company, after all - if they can get you hooked on their proprietary system, and you can't maintain your weight any other way, they make $$$$. I can find calories, fat, protein, carbs for most foods right on the Internet - for free. And I wonder if you really learn about a food's nutritional value if you are counting points rather than seeing the entire nutritional breakdown. (I'm on a low-sodium diet, and MFP has been incredibly helpful in tracking that.)
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I got fat eating close to 10 bananas a day. Never been on WW but wondering if something like bananas would have been considered free since it's a fruit?
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    WW wants you to stay fat. That's why their method is much slower than MFP's...