Do you cook differently for your family?

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
My family wants foods I know I shouldn't have because once I start eating them, I can't stop.

I can't (and don't want to be) a total food dictator in the kitchen. Any ideas to make this a little easier on myself?

Replies

• VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend likes tacos, microwaved pizza, and veggie burgers, and spaghetti and some other fake meat products. (he's vegetarian not vegan) I cook differently for him. I feel terrible because he likes unhealthy things and doesn't want my veggie dishes but yes, I usually cook two different meals.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    If you think you shouldn't have them, why is it justifiable for your family to put those foods in their mouths as well? I can't speak from experience because I don't have kids, but I do have a husband. He eats what I make, it's plain and simple. If he wants to eat bad, he can go and get the food to make it and make it himself because I refuse. It helps just not having those foods in the house, at all. I wouldn't make it totally obvious that it's healthy stuff. Of course, it is, but it shouldn't be looked at as bad, or something abnormal. I think the best way for your family to embrace the healthier meals by not saying making it clear you made it because it's healthy, but you made it because it's what's for dinner.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can you make both stuff that you can have and stuff you can't have? I'm a picky eater so it makes it easy for me to make things that I can't have that I also don't like. Maybe by adding something you don't like into something you shouldn't have it should make it easier to avoid that. I try to do that when I bring treats to work. I bring stuff that I don't like anyways and so it's easy to avoid it.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Nope. I take into consideration what they want for dinner and then I try to make a healthier version of it so that way we're all happy. But bottom line is, my husband and kids know that what I make is what they're getting. If my husband wants to eat something else, that's up to him. He's a grown man and can make something else if he wants (and he does from time to time but he's a pretty picky eater).
  • Jaymazing
    Jaymazing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes!! This is the hardest part of parenting for me! My kids are McDonalds, pizza, meat and potatoes addicts. I am a health nut, borderline vegetarian. They won't eat my food, so I end up taking them to the drive thru. I know that's bad parenting, but they will not eat my food, so I just gave up on them a long time ago. All three are active and healthy weights, so I don't worry too much. Maybe my habits will rub off on them when they are older. Maybe. For now it is just very inconvenient. Not to mention, no one is ever home at the same times to even think about having a family meal. I feel like I run a taxi station.

As for my husband, we hardly ever eat together. He works nights, and he is Korean, so spam and rice and kimchi are his staples. No thank you! He makes his own food, lol.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    My fiance eats whatever I make, he isn't picky, but if he doesn't want what I'm having he cooks for himself!
  • Jaymazing
    Jaymazing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lol. That's a good tactic, Amonroe.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My situation is that I have two picky teens who don't like most of the foods I make for myself. They complain 'there's no food in the house' when they look in the refrigerator. They like a lot of kid-food--pizza, mac & cheese, fettuccini alfredo, fries, burritos, potato chips, taco chips and salsa, veggie versions of chik'n nuggets, cheese burgers, etc. So, I end up buying and/or making those things for them.

Usually, I resist, but in weak moments, I can get pulled into eating these rich foods, and see red in my food diary.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As you know, I'm veg*n and my husband is an omni. He has been told that he can eat whatever he wants when (1) he cooks it, or (2) we go out. If I am cooking, he eats what I cook. (I'm sort of glad he doesn't cook, meat in my kitchen grosses me out.) I do make some allowances/modifications to his meals, such as using cheese in his food (but Daiya in mine). I also make more carbs for him than I do myself--which is dangerous, I just have to really watch my portion size, but I'm only sometimes successful.

When I buy him snack food, I purposefully buy stuff I will not eat, for example beef jerky, or non-vegan peanut butter crackers.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My husband won't eat anything healthy. Just mention that word to him and he says "yuck!" He gets mad at me if I make something for myself that he doesn't like, so I usually have to modify what I make to suit him or not make the healthy things that I would otherwise be making.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't cook seperate meals. I want my family to be as healthy and active as I am, there's nothing I cook that I wouldn't feed to my family. If they want something else, they can work that out amongst themselves (they are hubs @ 34 and son @ 2). However, we do eat a variety. 3 nights ago we had pesto crusted rainbow trout and veggies, last night we had leftover trout and tater tots. Nothing wrong with a tater tot.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No I cook the same for everyone. I just have smaller portions than they do and if a higher calorie/fat meal keep the portion small and add fruit or veggie.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes!! This is the hardest part of parenting for me! My kids are McDonalds, pizza, meat and potatoes addicts. I am a health nut, borderline vegetarian. They won't eat my food, so I end up taking them to the drive thru. I know that's bad parenting, but they will not eat my food, so I just gave up on them a long time ago. All three are active and healthy weights, so I don't worry too much. Maybe my habits will rub off on them when they are older. Maybe. For now it is just very inconvenient. Not to mention, no one is ever home at the same times to even think about having a family meal. I feel like I run a taxi station.

If they are hungry enough, and you don't give in, they will eat it.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Make less? Enough for your family to have the food that they want, but not enough that you'll have leftovers to temp you.

My solution to foods I can't control myself with is to limit how much I have access to.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There are fantastic websites and blogs that lighten up otherwise high calorie, high fat dinners. Try those out, and come to a compromise. My favorite websites are skinnytaste.com, emilybites.com and eatingwell.com
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I cook the same thing but if I am doing a protein and veggies I will boil some pasta for my husband because he complains about being hungry because a little bit of chicken and veggies is not what he is used to eating so I just throw in the extra carbs for him and he seems content :)
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I just make myself healthy veggie based choices and then add an animal protein for my family. I try to keep the options for them healthy too. I generally serve fruit or fruit with whipped cream for dessert.

What are the trigger foods you struggle with?
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cook differently for my family because my 12 y.o. son is underweight he needs exactly the foods and extra fats that I can't have. Some of the foods I buy are special for him and he has to keep them in his room so I won't attack them. I also I like to live vicariously through him too, "you son totally get the milkshake son."
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My situation is that I have two picky teens who don't like most of the foods I make for myself. They complain 'there's no food in the house' when they look in the refrigerator. They like a lot of kid-food--pizza, mac & cheese, fettuccini alfredo, fries, burritos, potato chips, taco chips and salsa, veggie versions of chik'n nuggets, cheese burgers, etc. So, I end up buying and/or making those things for them.

Usually, I resist, but in weak moments, I can get pulled into eating these rich foods, and see red in my food diary.

There's nothing wrong with these foods specifically, but if that's all they are eating, what do you expect them to do as grown ups? This isn't "kid-food" this is "unhealthy food, on the aggregate, if eaten at every meal." Teach your children to eat thoughtfully, that's the best lesson you can teach them about food. And every teenager looks at the cupboards and thinks they are bare, get used to it.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nope. I take into consideration what they want for dinner and then I try to make a healthier version of it so that way we're all happy. But bottom line is, my husband and kids know that what I make is what they're getting. If my husband wants to eat something else, that's up to him. He's a grown man and can make something else if he wants (and he does from time to time but he's a pretty picky eater).

This! As a result, we (as a family) have lost almost 200 pounds and have been able to cut back on prescriptions for triglycerides, cholesterol & HBP. You set the tone for the habits of your family if you are in charge of cooking/shopping. We've found lots of yummy healthier alternatives by trial and error. (We've made some real stinkers too, but win some, lose some)