270-170lbs in under a year. Pics from my dream vacation

Options

Replies

• determined136
    Options
    AMAZING!!!!:flowerforyou:

You looked beautiful before...but you look truely radiant now!!! My hat is off to you!!!!:bigsmile:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    OUTSTANDING!!! Continued success and good health!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    You are truly incredible. Thank you for posting this. You have overcome so much and your determination to do it is inspiring. :flowerforyou:
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    completley inspirational- thank you for sharing!! :wink:
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love reading these stories. Well done!!!
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love this website and people like you. That work hard, and are dedicated, and completely transform. Thanks for the motivation and inspiration!
  • lifechangecyndi
    Options
    OMG, You look awesome....Thanks for sharing that wonderful story...:flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    WOW. That is incredible and you're definitely an inspiration to many people after sharing this story. Congrats to you and well-deserved!!!
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    As I scrolled past your first 2 pix and saw your weight loss, I cried "Wow!" so loudly, I turned heads in the office. What a great job! You look fantastic and are truly an inspiration to us all! Congratulations!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    You look amazing!!! You are a true inspiration!! :flowerforyou:
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the new you!! You look great!!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great determination & inspiration!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    fantastic..isnt it wonderful accomplishing something you KNOW you couldnt have done a year prior ? i hiked with my family up and down a mountain, 7 miles total in like 6 hours or something, when it would have taken me double that long a year earlier..congrats
  • Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We just took a vacation that even a year ago I could never have imagined. We drove from PA to Montana and then backpacked for miles and miles. I felt strong, fast, and healthy. What a truly wonderful feeling.

BEFORE: August 2011, 270lbs, size 24.
    IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

AFTER: August 2012, 170lbs, size 10.

Hiking in the Badlands, South Dakota
    IMG_6251.jpg

P1030565.jpg

Hiking and camping in Glacier National Park, Montana
    P1030598.jpg

P1030612.jpg

IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_20120802_133202.jpg

(this is my background, from my profile:)
    I'm a 5'8", 32 year old, stay at home mom of three girls, ages 2, 4, &6.

I had a spinal cord injury in June 2011 at 270lbs. Emergency spinal surgery, and temporarily paralyzed from the waist down. Regained sensation and mobility over the next few months. At my discharge appointment in August 2011, the neurosurgeon said the best way to prevent reinjury is to lose weight. The next day I started really slowly daily exercise and tracking my food on MFP.

I began my exercise SLOWLY. Like really really slowly. The first day, I walked around my block. 0.25 miles in 25 minutes, with a CANE. The next day I went a little father, the next day a little faster, just doing what I could, getting out there and moving and sweating every single day. After many months, I added in 30 second jogging spurts. Then I just tried to run more and walk less, gradually introducing faster speeds as my body could tolerate it. After a few months, I was able to jog for my whole workout.

Currently during a typical week, I run 6-7 days/week and lift 2-3x/week. I've done five 5k races this spring and summer, and hope to train for longer distance events.

The key to my success: Consistency. Just get out there and DO it. Watch your portions. Sweat every day. No excuses.

:-)

Joy

Amazing.... You show ppl what determination can do for you......keep it up you look great!!!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!! BEAUTIFUL STORY AND INCREDIBLE WORK!
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration to all. Way to go...you look fantastic,happy, & healthy!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You're such an inspiration! So glad to see you on your feet LIVING life to its fullest!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!