all 0's like broccoli..

Options

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    A lot of MFP's foods are added by users. You gotta be careful, and do a little research yourself first :)
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    All guys should definitely eat raw broccoli. Plastics have chemicals that increase estrogen in men (decreasing sperm count and god knows what) -- but raw broccoli has phytoestrogens that block these effects. Seriously good stuff. Same with cauliflower and brussels sprouts.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I need some 0's options too :P JUST teasin'!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can steam pretty much any vegetable if you have 3 basic kitchen items:

1. a bowl
    2. saran wrap
    3. a microwave

Place washed veggie in the bowl with a small amount (1/4 c) of water. Cover bowl with saran wrap. Place in microwave for 3-4 minutes or longer until tender. Season with whatever doesn't contain additional calories. Soy sauce with broccoli.... yum :big smile:

ETA: Pretty much any green vegetable is low in calories and very good for you. The darker the green, the better. Anything with color generally contains a bit more calories and more sugar comparatively speaking. That's why green veggies are usually considered "free foods" because you can pretty much eat them in unlimited amounts and it will very minimally affect weight loss. Although, enjoy too much broccoli once and you might not try it again.... :blushing:
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Broccoli has all 0's on the calorie scale thing from calories to protein ..My bad I should have explained that better

keep trying
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it! We all make those kinds of mistakes starting out. lol
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    ....sigh...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    To be fair, broccoli is very low in calories.

But why do you think you're a terrible cook? Even good cooks with lots of experience still screw up sometimes when trying a new recipe. All you need is some practice. Go to the produce section, pick out something that looks interesting, and google easy recipes for it. Then when you've learned that, go and pick a different vegetable.

If you're looking for low calorie, you'll want to stick with the green stuff, and stay away from starchy things like potatoes. But remember - you need to eat a good variety, not just low-calorie things.
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    Well...silly lesson learned right!??!

Guess it is better you were thinking you were clocking some amazing "0"s with that broccoli, instead of it being a REALLY bad food clocking those "0"s!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Look for the entry with no asterisk. A lot of things are user-entered and may be wrong.

Exactly. No * before the name. It is typically listed as the food name, followed by the food state.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Foreman grill? My faves are squash, zucchini, and asparagus. Spray a little non stick spray on Foreman and grill until you see grill marks. Season with low or no sodium seasoning while they cook.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like to check how many "confirmations" a food has (if it has * beside it). The more people who have confirmed it, the more likely it is to be accurate.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It was probably entered by a user who (erroneously) considers certain foods to be "free foods" (eat as much as you want). The only truly zero-calorie entries should be water, tea, etc. and "chemical bath" drinks like diet soda, Crystal Light, etc. Even foods like celery have calories in them - very low, but they're calories nonetheless.
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    Here's a recipe for you:

1/2 bundle japanese buckwheat noodles
    2 wedges any flavor lite laughing cow cheese
    1 tblsp margarine
    2 cups broccoli

Boil noodles and broccoli, once done mix with remaining ingredients. Very creamy and delicious!!

380 calories.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i use the Ziploc Steamer bags... you fill up how much veg you want per servings (bag is marked in 1/2 bag or full bag) and add 1 Tbsp. of water then microwave per directions on the bag. You can use fresh or frozen. :)
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    On the plus side, it does have low enought calories that you can probably eat as much as you want....
    Buy a steamer that fits inside a saucepan and lightly steam it.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    if you want things closee to zero cals. eat just about any green produce and steam it. For a few more healthy calls spritz with liver oil and roast. I do kale like that an love it!

I also eat tomatoes like crazy oine plum tomato has 11cals. I sprinkle a little salt a peper on it and eat it.

for somthing super easy look at the birds eye frozen steam in bag veggies. Other people make steam bags but birds eye seems to have thelargest selection.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Although I knew broccoli has calories and the like, I did not know of the * warning until now. Learn something new every day;-)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Liver oil???
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Okay now I am confused in my food diary it comes up all 0's I just added 4 cups and it's still all 0s ??lol man...I should have looked that up before that post..oops.!

Like the majority of entries in the database, it's been entered by an idiot and it's completely wrong.

YES to this---Nothing wants to come up right on the nutrition end :huh: