Unflavoured protein powders?

Options
Has anyone used unflavoured protein powders? I am sure they all have a taste but I already make my own smoothies (etc.) so I don't want to add chocolate to my banana berry smoothie or whatever. Are the unflavoured ones flavourless enough that it can be masked by other ingredients?

Also, what brands do you use or recommend? I've never used protein powder before but I think I should probably start (constantly under my daily cals even though I'm not hungry, and I never ever fulfill my protein macro!)

Also I'll give you my favourite smoothie recipe as a thanks for reading:
In the cup of an immersion blender (like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-CSB-76C-Smart-Stick®-Blender/dp/B002RWJN4S/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340657614&sr=8-1-spell ), put one banana broken into 3 or 4 chunks, a couple dollops of vanilla yogurt, and enough orange juice to come most of the way up the banana. Blend. Add frozen berries till the cup is mostly full and blend again until it's all mixed. (You must blend twice or it makes a mess... trust me on this, boyfriend did it this morning and guess who got to clean it up...)

Replies

• andreabrightside
    Options
    bbbuuuummmppp?
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump. I would love some ideas on how to make unflavoured powder taste good :)
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    you can probably find it in bulk relatively cheaply at truenutrition.com

I can't vouch for the flavor or texture though.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bump because I planned on getting ON unflavored and ended up getting chocolate after.

There was one brand where the flavored one contained more protein per gram then the unflavored? I was confused...

I hear dutch cocoa tastes better then others if you flavor it yourself? I also picked up some stevia to experiment but ended up with flavored.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I love Living Fuel Living Protein Power. It is plant based and has no flavor. I order it on line. Love all their products!
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I really like Manitoba Harvest Pro 70. It's a little pricey but water soluble so it's not gritty. Great for adding into smoothies.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Protein Powder Natural. Unflavored.. No problems with it. You can't add vanilla or chocolate to savory things. I got sick to death of the vanilla flavor.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva's Hemp protein plus fiber in all my smoothies.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I use Jarrow Unflavored Whey Protein. You can get it regular or organic. The organic is about $10 more for 2 pounds. The best prices I have found for it are at vitacost.com.
    If you want to be able to use it on the go, get some dextrose, too, really cheap and all natural sweetener, and you can add a scoop to get the carbs in after a workout. I only do that if i'm not home to make a smoothie, which gives me enough flavor from the fruit.
  • susanscsong
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jarrow's Unflavored Whey (http://www.amazon.com/Whey-Protein-Unflavored-2-Pounds/dp/B0001TO8NU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344365354&sr=8-3&keywords=jarrow+whey) because I disliked the aftertaste of aspartame (i.e. ON's flavored powders).

It's surprisingly delish and to add flavor, I like to mix it with chocolate soy milk after a workout.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The best one I have ever found is the one the the VitaMix people sell. It is called Whole Nectar and is a non-GMO soy protein powder. It has the least amount of sugar I have found in protein powders and is really a neutral flavor. You can get more info on it here:

http://www.wholenectar.com/
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I buy the LeanFit brand of whey protein powder. It's unflavoured and unsweetened so that I may do it up as I like.
    It's not a fancy schmancy brand but it works for me.
    I buy it at Costco.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use unflavoured whey protein powder on its own. Way nicer imo than some of the disgusting sickly sweet other ones I tried. I really don't get the need to have it sweetened, nothing particularly horrible abut the taste of it on its own, except for being bland.

The only thing I'm thinking of adding to it is fiber.
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was going to get some unflavoured protein powder really cheap from myprotein.com

I've read on review that it doesn't taste great though, but I can't think what you could add to it to make it better. Cocao powder? Nesquick milkshake powder? IDK? :S
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was going to get some unflavoured protein powder really cheap from myprotein.com

I've read on review that it doesn't taste great though, but I can't think what you could add to it to make it better. Cocao powder? Nesquick milkshake powder? IDK? :S

cocoa (dutch preferably), nesquick powder, stevia, pb2, pixie sticks lol
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    i use one from a company called myprotein.co.uk

but i think they have a us site as well....tasteless..
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use Genisoy unflavored powder in my shakes. I haven't noticed a change in flavor, but It can be a little chalky if you put too much. So I use 2 tbsp instead of 3 like the can says. It adds great protein, vitamins and is cheap (10 bucks at Walmart I think).
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I always buy unflavoured then you can use it in recipes etc.

myprotein do their own zero calorie flavouring. raspberry is great and you can add it to other things like greek yoghurt etc.

If you buy in bulk then the unflavoured plus the flavouring actually works our cheaper.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/flavdrops_liquid_flavouring

Nesquk works but then that's another load of sugar you might not necessarily want.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with 1 banana,tbs peanut butter,100g of frozen fruit and 300ml of skimmed milk or semi skim whichever u like and a 25g scoop of powder.works for me.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use the unflavored Whole Foods 365 brand and I love it. i add it to everything from eggs to pancakes to yogurt and more. 23g protein for 1 scoop = 110 calories. it's also only $13.99 for 30 scoop container :)

It's a little chalky, but I can't taste it once it's mixed.