Clean eaters - dressings/sauces

Options
Hi all,

I am starting a 6 week clean eating "Detox"...basically lots of protein and veg and not much else. Do you think i should therefore lay off any type of sauce/dressing with my protein and veg? i'll be snacking on nuts and maybe the odd greek yogurt although im trying to keep down dairy so maybe not - if i have to snack it will be on carrots & hummus or olives.

Thanks! xxx

Replies

• Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Bump
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sauces usually have added oil or fats or salts or sugars to make them tasty. That's what they're for. I found when I logged them they could add hundreds of calories to my day.

I use plain balsamic or flavored vinegar a lot as a dressing - lots of flavor, no calories to speak of.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Sauces usually have added oil or fats or salts or sugars to make them tasty. That's what they're for. I found when I logged them they could add hundreds of calories to my day.

I use plain balsamic or flavored vinegar a lot as a dressing - lots of flavor, no calories to speak of.

thank you! yep i thought that may be the case. I will cut out all sauces/dressings then and just add a bit of apple cidar vinegar to my salad if need be. Geeeez this is going to be hard :) xxx
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i use low fat dressings not in large amounts and its fine. my diarys open.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find that I like using a bit of olive oil with some crushed, dry basil mixed in as my "sauce" for pastas and salads.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm about to make a "dip" for the artichokes we are grilling tonight.
    It will be: low fat plain yogurt, chipotle "juice", and lemon.

It's pretty danged clean. :-)
    But not paleo, obviously.
  • lolamwest
    Options
    If you buy non fat fage greek yougurt and mix it with balsamic vinegar it makes a great dressing!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this last night. Two healthy sauces I use a lot are based on chopped mango (or peaches) or on chopped tomatoes.

You can use both fresh or you can add mint, basil, or chilis to either. They can be added raw to things like pasta or beans or salads. Or you can warm them or cook them down.

I add the calories as if they were raw because it's easy to measure that way.