UK Programme on fasting

Options

Replies

• kats56
    kats56 Posts: 2
    Options
    I watched this programme last night and found it fascinating. Especially the part about your brain cells growing when fasting. Both my husband and I have started today, I want to see if I can lower my cholestoral through this regime and come off statins and my husband wants to lower his risk to diabetes.
    Will let you know how we get along.
    It is 3.30 now and have had water and black tea and feel fine. A couple of hunger pangs but they passed. I do beleve this is do-able.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    did the program mention any long term effects of intermittent fasting? it may lose weight quickly but i'd want to know what effect it had on my hormine balance in the long run before considering it!

the programme was about longevity and the effects that calorie restriction and fasting could have on the production of IGF-1. I recoomend trying to get hold of it if possible if you want to know more. It wasn't really about weight loss, that was just a side-effect.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    did the program mention any long term effects of intermittent fasting? it may lose weight quickly but i'd want to know what effect it had on my hormine balance in the long run before considering it!

yes,in regard to laboratory animals, there are at present no long term studies on humans. Watch the program, and it did not lose weight quickly over the 5 week period for the person who in the study.

Lowered %AGE BODY fat
    Lowered weight as a %age of body fat
    Lowered HDL
    Raised LDL
    Lowered blood glucose levels
    Lowered IGF-1 - which for a bodybuilder bulkiing would not be a desired outcome. But for cellular repair is very good.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    @ I am asking about lean mass -

It is the whole flow of that quote, not you in particular. But if you missed the point, it was about aging not dieting and not about answering questions about lean mass, that was not the data being explored. So, ask questions about IGF-1 and fasting.
    She asked a valid question. You don't get to decide what questions get to be asked.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    @ I am asking about lean mass -

It is the whole flow of that quote, not you in particular. But if you missed the point, it was about aging not dieting and not about answering questions about lean mass, that was not the data being explored. So, ask questions about IGF-1 and fasting.
    She asked a valid question. You don't get to decide what questions get to be asked.

I have every right to comment that the whole thread is descending into mythology and misunderstanding like some horrendous chinese whisper. The topic is: UK Programme on fasting, it would not seem unreasonable that people who have questions at least keep it relevant to the topic and have watched the programme.

Thanks for your interest. Now watch the program or start a thread that perhaps others will find interesting - like

I did not see that programme on UK TV last night on fasting but can I ask loads of questions.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether he lost lean mass or not.

But if you check his twitter feed a bunch of people have asked the same questions as here.

https://twitter.com/DrMichaelMosley

I was interested in why his wife, a GP, although impressed with the results, didn't seem interested in doing it herself.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    "I was interested in why his wife, a GP, although impressed with the results, didn't seem interested in doing it herself. "

He is also a qualified GP, he has consistently said he hates the diet and exercise regimes and much of the scientific study that goes with diet and exercise and it his program, so for him to be so clearly impressed with the health benefits that was enough for me and I am still not interested in the weight loss but for the other benefits which is what the programme was about.

Did you want his wife, a GP, and not a TV presenter to be spinning cartwheels and shouting WOO WOO WOO I start tomorrow. I think what you saw was called "wife interest" and not professional interest.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Krista Varady who was in the programe was involved in http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1138.long a study of alternate day fasting.

That paper reported that " Fat mass decreased (P < 0.01) by 5.4 ± 0.8 kg after 8 wk of diet, whereas changes in fat-free mass were not significant (−0.1 ± 0.1 kg). "

The diet intervention used was "All subjects consumed 25% of their baseline energy needs on the “fast” day (24 h) and then consumed food ad libitum on each alternate “feed” day (24 h)." So the "fast" is actually a 75% calorie reduction.

On the "fast" days they ate 25-30g protein only, 450 calories. http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1138/T1.expansion.html

On his Twitter feed the presenter says that exercise isn't helpful to IGF-1 reduction.

ETA For clarity, the paper above is for illustration and to anwer the lean body mass question, it isn't directly related to the TV programme other than through its lead author appearing.
  • essemmgee369
    Options
    Hello. Has anyone dug up any more detailed info on how to do this healthily. Last nights programme was an interesting introduction and I would love to read more about it, eg is it a good idea to workout on fast days etc...

I wish all the best to everyone trying it.

I have nearly completed my first day and it really wasn't that bad at all
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Krista Varady who was in the programe was involved in http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1138.long a study of alternate day fasting.

That paper reported that " Fat mass decreased (P < 0.01) by 5.4 ± 0.8 kg after 8 wk of diet, whereas changes in fat-free mass were not significant (−0.1 ± 0.1 kg). "

The diet intervention used was "All subjects consumed 25% of their baseline energy needs on the “fast” day (24 h) and then consumed food ad libitum on each alternate “feed” day (24 h)." So the "fast" is actually a 75% calorie reduction.

On the "fast" days they ate 25-30g protein only, 450 calories. http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/5/1138/T1.expansion.html

On his Twitter feed the presenter says that exercise isn't helpful to IGF-1 reduction.

ETA For clarity, the paper above is for illustration and to anwer the lean body mass question, it isn't directly related to the TV programme other than through its lead author appearing.

Great stuff, I deduced that exercise was unhelpful. Like losing fat free mass, muscle mass, not the right conditions created, like starving or disease.
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Those asking about the reducing protein on his Twitter he's stating no more than the recommended amount of 60g.

He's also stated on Twitter that if you lose weight too quickly then it will be a mixture of lean body mass and fat. Lean body mass measures weren't mentioned in the programme.

He did this to investigate the effect on health, the weight loss was a bonus, and he sometimes only fasted 1 day instead of 2 a week because he thought he was losing too much weight. On Twitter he says he is going to continue fasting 1/2 days a week and then get his health checked after 12months.
    He eats 2 meals - breakfast and dinner and normally fasted on a Tuesday and Thursday.
  • essemmgee369
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the info
  • thenewmrsfitz
    Options
    i found the fact that your brain grows new neurons amazing...the human body is incredible!!
  • sharpei65
    sharpei65 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've not watched the programme yet (hoping to catch up with it in the next day or 2) but was just interested in whether they looked at the benefits of IF on people with memory problems, early signs of dementia type illnesses etc???

Kay
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    This sounds like "calorie cycling". I read up on it and I hear it's a pretty good way to break a plateau.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Saw the show. I am wondering if you want to maintain weight but lose body fat would fasting be a good idea? He lost loads of fat in 5 weeks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've not watched the programme yet (hoping to catch up with it in the next day or 2) but was just interested in whether they looked at the benefits of IF on people with memory problems, early signs of dementia type illnesses etc???

Yes, the third visit in the US was to Baltimore to discuss that kind of thing.
  • emotionalharlequin
    Options
    Haven't seen it, looking forward to watching though!

I started intermittent fasting almost two months ago and I loved it! I had more energy than normal and could keep up with my family's eating habits (they're big eaters). I committed myself to the Leangains fasting times so I fasted for 16 hours (7-8 of which I slept for) and ate for 8. It was brilliant. Very easy to follow, and I recommend it to anyone who believes their lifestyle doesn't fit the breakfast-lunch-dinner lifestyle. (=
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Yes, the third visit in the US was to Baltimore to discuss that kind of thing.

Studies have looked at Mice with Alzheimers and the effect of diet on them. On his Twitter account the presenter does say it'll be interesting to see the results of studies on humans with alzheimers.
  • dustwitch
    dustwitch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the programme, although i'll see if it's available on watch again, sounds intersting - I just read a book by Dr John Briffa called 'Escape the diet trap' and he has a chapter in his book advocating intermittent fasting. He also recommends reducing carbohydrates, cutting out grains and eating nuts, meat and vegetables and no processed crap.