is anyone else doing a calorie intake of 1200?

Options

Replies

• BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it. But, I go over by about 400 calories on the days I exercise.

To hit 1200,here's what i tend to eat:

Breakfast:
    Whole wheat toast with almond butter, or
    oatmeal with almond butter, or
    egg substitute omlet with veggies (onions, zuchinni, squash, etc), whole wheat bread with tad of smart balance.

Lunch:
    salad with some type of leftover meat (small amount) or 1/3 cup of beans
    1 cup of lower calorie (i.e. not a cream) soup
    or bean burrito (measured out the beans) and topped with onions, salsa, sour cream, peppers, etc.

Dinner:
    Grilled fish or 1/2 chicken breast or 4 ounces of lean meat
    salad or cooked veggies
    potato w/ salsa or just 1 teaspoon of sour cream.

Evening snack:
    tea, sweetened with stevia.

Snack:
    tangerine or apple or string cheese

The trick is to measure your food. Figure out what you really love (for me is sour cream), and work in just enough of those foods so you aren't deprived. Also, change up your food. Don't let it get boring.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the string cheese as a snack, if you pull it, it makes it last longer and I seem to savory it more because I had to work for each little piece :laugh:

Also, my little weakness is my crave for chocolate and I don't care for dark chocolate which are fewer in calories, so I eat the 100 calorie back S'mores and it is just enough to cure my craving.

And yes, when you exercise, when you log it, it will add more calories (including it would also increase your protein, carbs, and etc). Exercising will increase your daily limit.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm 1200 calories as well. I try to exercise daily and aim to burn anywhere from 350-500 calories at a time so I have a little wiggle room with the calories.

I weigh myself once a week on Fridays totally naked and after a trip to the bathroom! :bigsmile:

Breakfast
    Syntha 6 protein shake

Snack
    Cheese

Lunch
    Turkey Sandwich
    Fuji Apple

Snack
    Carrots, or granola bar or edamame beans

Dinner
    Salad
    Chicken
    Green Beans

Desert
    Non Fat Fro-yo
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I am doing this also and just started a few days ago. I have decided that a good alternative when eating breakfast cereal is to use "Almond Dream Almond Milk" instead of regular milk. It tastes good, however it is watered down tasting. I find that it is better that skim milk and it is only about 50 calories for a full 8 oz. This helps me to actually eat breakfast because I usually don't have time to cook anything and I can't drink regular milk because I am lactos intolerant. Hope this helps others w/ the same problem of not having breakfast, it is a hard habit to break!
  • bridget911
    Options
    Yes I have been doing 1200 for some time trying to off the weight. However, it is a slow loss. Anyway, what I do to keep satisfied is eat more protein than carbs. I am not into a no carb diet, just know that protein keeps me full longer and I don't get cravings. Have you customized your percentages within that 1200 calories? I have mine set at 60% protein, 25% carbs and 15% fat. This way at the bottom of everyday I can also check whether I maintain that percentage as well as the calories. Don't get me wrong though, most days I venture over the 1200, but at least I check it before the evening and try to make the overage up in extra excercise. Good luck and glad I found someone with this in common, thanks.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I'm at 1200 as well before exercise. I've been using MFP for a year off and on, and I find that when I'm fully dedicated it works for me. This is the final time that I will say off and on lol I'm sticking with it for good. I lost 20 pds last time by eating 1200 when I don't exercise and then eating about half of my exercise calories.

1.) I make breakfast my largest meal of the day, always high in protein and fiber. Use egg whites, veggies, meat, oatmeal, whatever.

2.) Before you eat, drink at least one glass of water. Keep drinking water throughout the meal, this makes a really big difference.

3.) Lunch is a salad or soup and protein.

4.) Snacks are veggies or fruit.

5.) Try to make dinner exciting and flavorful so you don't have an urge to snack later.

6.) If you have a sweet tooth, take care of it. I have a peice of dark chocolate a day, otherwise I could totally see myself late night binging on chocolate hahaha

Hope this helps a bit :flowerforyou:
  • miaangel345
    Options
    I am guessing the reason you guys are eating 1200 is because you're trying to lose MORE than 1 pound a week?? 1200 is fine every now and then but I think 1400-1500 calories is much better for your health, u need certain nutrients and vitamins and I don't think 1200 is good especially when you factor in exercising? Let's say you burn 300 do you eat 1500 that day since you gained extra calorie points or no?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I am guessing the reason you guys are eating 1200 is because you're trying to lose MORE than 1 pound a week?? 1200 is fine every now and then but I think 1400-1500 calories is much better for your health, u need certain nutrients and vitamins and I don't think 1200 is good especially when you factor in exercising? Let's say you burn 300 do you eat 1500 that day since you gained extra calorie points or no?

Nope, my goal is 1 pound a week and they said it was 1200 calories a day.

I eat about half my exercise calories back.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I could see someone eating 1200 a day when they don't work out and if they don't lead an active lifestyle. As long as it's a meaningful 1200, not filled with junk and empty calories. If I burned 600 calories during exercise, I would most likely eat about 1600 calories that day. If you don't eat at least the majority of your exercise calories, you won't lose the weight, or at least you only will at first.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i'm set to have 1240 a day. although i go over my about 100-200 on most days but i also go to gymnastics practice for 2 hours (i assume that i burn about 100-200 calories there.. hopefully).

Breakfast is 1 cup special k protein plus cereal or some kind of kashi cereal sometimes with a banana, or yogurt and a banana (around 250 calories)

Lunch is a salad (plain with maybe a sprinkle of chopped fresh vegetables and light vinigarette), with a piece of fruit, a small carb (like whole grain crackers), and a dairy (string cheese or yogurt)
    (this is my biggest meal, usually around 400 calories)

Snacks are generally nuts and tea (150 calories)

dinner is usually very low cal (300-400 calories). chicken and vegetables, soup and salad, a frozen meal
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too have the 1200 goal.....I usually have about 250 or so left at the end of my dinner......not hungry to use em up either....some daysI feel I need all 1200. I stopped all fried foods.....limit carbs ......and don't add salt at all. It seems since starting this I am drinking more water and peeing much more.....jesus....to think I was holding all the water in. Plus eating crap.....SO MUCH EASIER to NOT eat right. But I refuse to fall off the wagon....although I feel like the wagon ran me over...then backed up.....and ran me over again....I am sure my bod will adjust to the "shock" of what right is.
  • meferretti
    meferretti Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie intake but am having trouble reaching it. So far, I am only hitting about 1000 calories a day which is not enough. It will take some time to adjust and figure out what I need to do to hit 1200 a day. I most likely will substitute lower fat items such as FF mayo and margarine with Butter and regular mayo. That will boost my fat and calories. I am also going to increase my carbs a little. I am too low on everything except I am over in protein. I never followed this type of eating plan. I have done weight watcher's and loved it but calories are much easier to track. To be honest I am not really counting calories. I am mearly eating healthy and making the smartest choices I can. That is by far the best thing anyone can do on a long term basis. Any idea how many calories equals 1 WW point? I am sure I can find that on the internet.

Good luck!!!:smile:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories for the day. the site is still set for you to lose 1 pound a week, without those extra calories, your not eating enough. that's what i understand from reading the posts on here so that is what i do. With exercise in a day, i eat about 1400 calories.
  • jherbs7
    Options
    I am doing 1200 calories and I find the key is ALWAYS having snacks on hand. Apple slices, 100 calorie snacks, low sodium popcorn, grapes etc. Just be prepared...that way i never get super hungry through out the day and I feel like I'm eating all the time. Also for breakfast I've been eating 2 fried eggwhites and fried zucchini (add some hot sauce, yum!)...not many calories as long as you don't cook it in a ton of butter. I use maybe half a tablespoon of smart balance butter just to coat the pan....Also I recently started trying fish for dinner. it's lower in calories than chicken and tastes just as good. I had tilapia (super fast to cook) and used a blackening rub...it was delicious and still pretty low cal. I had brown rice mixed with corn, onion and cilantro too. I do the lean cuisine's everyday for lunch too...at least the calories are already counted for you:)
    One last thing...if you feel like you want more calories...EXERCISE!!! If you burn 400 calories then you get to add that to your total amont allowed for the day. now all of a sudden you're on a 1600 calorie diet. That's motivation enough for me.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Nope. It all depends on your height and current weight. I'm only 5 feet tall and am currently at my goal weight (90 pounds).
    Yes, you eat those additional 300 cals. MPF puts you in a deficet...you need to eat 1/2 to all of what your burn. You must net at least 1200 cals or your body will go into starvation mode. Banks/SHBoss has a a wonderful explination for this, I can't seem to find a link to it right now. Hopefully he'll chime in and explain this to all the n00bs a bit better than I can.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Everyone that has joined in the past few weeks need to look at this link. It explains everything from diets to excersize calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

:flowerforyou:
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200 calories a day and find it hard to eat them all. I also exercise almost daily, usually a walk for 40 minutes with my neighborhood gals. I would like to get back to my early morning walk too, but haven't been able to do that. My downfall is sweets, so I find someone to share them with. Also when I eat out I share my meal with my hubby, or bring half of it home. I put it in a box before I start eating so I am sure not to eat too much. However, If I don't watch myself I eat too many desert foods!
    I have lost 5 pounds since starting on December 30th
  • scrappinmom
    Options
    When I set up my MFP, it tells me that I should have 1700 cal a day!!! Yikes I thought that was high. I have never gone over the 1200 range so I think that is more like it. Maybe I am just way bigger that all the rest. IDK
  • gottagetitoff
    Options
    I'm at 1200. Usually a kim's light bagel (100 cal) with a snack size cottage cheese for breakfast. Arnolds sandwich thins with boars head chicken breast and laughing cow light cheese wedge for lunch. Midafternoon fiberone bar and tea. For dinner a salad or vegetable and a Cooking Light recipe. I love cooking light because they give you a serving size and nutritionals...go to www.myrecipes.com type in whatever and search. or click low cal dinners, etc.
  • snoozen29
    Options
    I am also @ 1200. I found it really hard to stick to that when I first started but then I got into a routine.

I normally eat .

Breakfast: ceral/oatmeal
    Snack: Apple
    Lunch: Soup with egg salad sandwich and a fat free jello pudding
    Snack: crispy minis or special K cereal (without milk)
    Dinner: normally chicken/fish with rice/no yolks pasta or mashed potatoes
    Snack: smart pop popcorn.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!