Mirena

Options
Do any of the ladies have Mirena and have you found it harder to lose weight with it?

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have had a Mirena for around a year. I gained 85 lbs during my pregnancy, lost 75 so far ( a year) without even trying. I am trying the lose the last 10 now, will see..
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Short answer: absolutely positively YES.

The long answer seems to get Dr's, PA's all huffy because they will swear there is no possible connection between Mirena and weight because Mirena is designed to only act locally, not systemically, so any weight you gain or fail to lose is either a result of your diet/exercise or some other issue entirely. To challenge that evidently offends (some of) them so I will don my flame-proof suit now, and assert that I am not giving medical advice only sharing my experience, that of my sister and of a friend unrelated to us. And we are hardly alone. A simple Google search will prove how many women are experiencing or have experienced the same phenomenon. Those who love it, love it and those who hate it mostly have similar reasons. Just my experience/observation. Take it with a grain of salt.

ETA: I had mine placed 9/03 and removed six months later, it was that frustrating. Never once regretted the removal and never looked back.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any difference....this last month or so I've actually seen the best weight loss ever.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Ooh I'm curious about this. I was thinking of switching from the pill to an IUD. Not sure if I want the hormonal one though.
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    I had mine place sometime last year nov. and I do think it does play a part in making weight loss harder for me. I am still spotting (light and heavy) at least 3-5 times a week which I causing bloat and cravings. But I don't think it will be impossible for me to lose weight b/c I have just annoying. Will try to keep it in for at least a year and see how things change.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Mirena is evil....google it and you will find countless # of women who have had horrendous side effects. Doctors and other patients who "LOVE" Mirena don't believe it but I lived through it. I was so bloated I I looked like I swallowed a basketball. It was painful, I couldn't sit, lie down, couldn't eat or drink. It was really bad.

I tried to pull mine out myself!!! I didn't care if I took 1/2 my uterus with it I was that unbelievably uncomfortable on it. My husband actually restrained me and calmed me down and so I waited 2 more days to see my gyno and she looked me in the eyes and told me what was happening to me was not at all related to Mirena. So tell me why, after 3 days of having it taken out, was I completely fine and back to normal.

I actually believe Yaz helped me with the weight loss, or at least it did not hinder it at all. I lost 50lbs while on it...but I was dieting & stuff.
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena in place and have lost 31 lbs. since mid April so I don't think it is holding me back any. I've also never had any bad side effects from it. Everyone's body will react differently, some good and some bad.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I had mirena for almost 4 years and no it didn't make it hard for me to lose weight. I was on bc pills and got off it because I was gaining weight... Went on mirena and was finally able to lose the weight.
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do not have the Mirena but I do work as an ultrasound tech and scan many women who do have it. An overwhelming majority do complain of not only the inability to lose weight but also of weight gain with it. Everyone is different though....
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 5 years (about to get it replaced) and I've never seen this to be a problem at all, especially with weight.
  • geminitwin1979
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about a year now and it has not caused any issues with losing weight altho i do get bloated more now so not sure if that is due to it !!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I lost weight still with mine, but it expelled itself after less than a year. Lots of money for that stupid thing...that sucks.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena twice now (one baby in between). I don't think it has helped or hindered my weight loss. And I LOVE it! I have had absolutely no side effects, no spotting, and no period since it was put in July of 2011. A few friends had cramping for the first couple of days after having it put in, but I didn't have any issues. Birth control set me on an emotional roller coaster and I don't have that any more. Good luck making your decision!
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It hasn't affected me one way or the other. I LOVE it. Nothing beats not having to worry about TOM, because I never have one :smile:
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I have had it for over 2 years now and I am slowly beginning to think it does indeed hinder weight loss.

I honestly don't know if it's because I'm older now (35) and after 2 kids but I didn't find it this hard to lose weight before. I remember going on hols to Italy before I had any kids. I lost weight, was down to 11stone and I found it easy to lose weight.

So I do think having the coil (mirena) in makes it harder to lose the extra lbs. I've put my heart and soul into losing weight and only by being super strict and exercising like a demon, do I see any results. It's not really sustainable what I do right now: I am tired and drained alot of the time. Losing weight should not be this demanding. That's another story!

In a nutshell: Yes I do think having a coil in makes it harder to lose weight.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had my second Mirena placed in April (first was from 2006-2011, with a year off just for kicks). I started trying to lose weight in May. I'm down 27 lbs so far. But each person's body can react very differently to the same medication.
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost 3 years now. I didn't really see a marked increase in my weight that couldn't be explained by my eating/exercise habits.

I've just recently started my campaign to lose weight so I can't yet say if I'll have a hard time losing weight. I guess we'll see in a couple of months. :laugh:
  • LeggiGetsFit
    LeggiGetsFit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had mirena for 3 years now. It has never caused me any problems or weight gain. I love having an iud! Can have sex with my boyfriend and never worry about if I forgot to take my pill or if we have a condom. Freeeedom!
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do any of the ladies have Mirena and have you found it harder to lose weight with it?

I HAD it and steadily put on weight for those 4yrs. I had it taken out and lost 10lbs the first two weeks after. I was also ravenous when I had it. I was ALWAYS starving. That stopped after I had it removed. While it did have it's perks. (Didn't have to think about BC and no period) it wasn't worth the other stuff that went along with it for me.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    I have had mine for 5 yrs, it comes out next month and I want to have another put in. I have not seen an issue with losing weight with it or weight gain. I have struggled before to lose the weight and are still struggling. So I don't think it is related to the IUD. I will say I am one of the lucky ones. No side effects, I have not had my period in years. We will see once it comes out and I am waiting for the replacement to go in. Good luck with your choice.