Ever feel like the world is out to get you?

Options
I have been changing my lifestyles and working out now for about a year and I have seen NO differences. I fell off the wagon a few times and I accept that and I know I have to work it off. But I feel like sometimes the world is out to get me. Over the past month I have has an acute upper respiratory infection, moved across the country, started a new job, developed tendinitis in both of my ankles, and now have a very bad cough making it hard to BREATH when I work out! UGG. Can a girl get a break!?

I can't seem to find out what I'm doing wrong, and I'm throwing out the facts to you guys hoping someone in my same situation will help me see the error of my ways!

When I'm NOT sick, I'm at the gym 5-6 days a week, doing cardio for about 90 minutes, different machines to mix it up, and doing strength training for 30 mins or so. We eat very healthy, limit our soda intake to one can a day of coke zero. I know soda is really bad for you, diet or not and I'm trying to wean myself off... soo 12 oz isnt too bad I hope haha We get a cheat meal once a week, take out, fast food, etc or our date night. And during the day I eat veggies, whole grain bread, tuna, etc etc etc.

Its just really frustrating and SO discouraging.

Any words of encouragement or advice is VERY much welcomed! I need some friends on here to help me out! =)

Replies

• AshleyBananas
    Options
    Sometimes when you go through a lot of life changes it can throw off the success of things like diets and exercise. I've moved cross country three times in the last decade and remember eating a lot of McDonald's and junk food on those road trips. Being sedentary in the car, then living in a hotel for a few weeks or a month for a job. Sometimes life throws you some curve balls. But, if you're settled and in a good place take the time to figure out what you can shift to make a change. What if for your cheat day you ate a healthier cheat meal? What if you changed your workout and switched things up - like trying a zumba or kick boxing class?

Don't get discouraged, try to look at things and really refocus. <3
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Just keep with it. I know where you are coming from with ankle problems - if it is that bad, take the time to rest them doing low or no impact workouts (swimming/water aerobics might be a good option). You know what to do to get you to your goals!

Use the new location to wipe the slate clean. All the previous falls off the wagon are gone, and you are focused on this time. Track everything, even when it doesn't fit into your new lifestyle - it's a great way to look back and see where things went right/wrong for you. Give yourself a reward system. A quarter a day for logging in and recording everything - then use that money for something fun for you and your husband (non food related!).

With the medical stuff, just take it slow. Even a long slow walk is getting you moving. Take the time to let your body heal before you push it too far - you'll only make the problem last longer.
  • ebmoore11
    ebmoore11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! =) Its good to hear encouraging words, even if you know the info it feels good to hear it from someone else! <3
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of stress & health issues recently. You need to give yourself a mental break! Like the others said, one step at a time. Just a walk is fine...work yourself up gradually. Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I hope things get better for you soon. You've gone through a lot and still been working out. Wow good on you!

Your diary isn't open so I can't see but I'm wondering if you are actually not eating enough? I'm eating every one of my exercise calories back and I've had a better loss in the last week and a half since I joined than I did in one whole month at Weight Watchers.

Good luck and take it easy if you aren't well.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You may want to try a lower carb diet for a while I for one never lost a thing on a 'normal' low fat low cal diet. But I do lose when I do very little in the way of starch and NO sugar. I eat healthy amount of meat, chicken, fish, tofu but only green leafy veg as no limit, my carbs come from whole cooked grains, beans, lentils, squash, sweet potatoes where I limit it to 45-65 grams per meal. Count all your carbs - carrots, tomato, fruits etc all have carbs.

Try it for a while I find some nice low carb high fiber tortillas for wraps and a little brown rice are great subsitutes for potatoes and bread.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You've gone through a lot over the last while, but you're still sticking with it, so full props to you.

A few suggestions for you:

1) Tackle this one piece at a time. I know that when I stopped looking at the global problem (working out, eating well, not seeing results), stepped back and took a deep breath, I stopped beating on myself and picked a single thing to look at. It's hard to focus on everything, and the details can get overwhelming for even the most organized and committed of people.

2) Get some outside help, even for a short time. I thought I knew what I was doing, but it was only after I started working with a trainer that I began to understand that all exercise is not created equal, and that tweaking my diet in small ways can make a big difference. I've dropped about half the weight I wanted to drop, maybe not as quickly as I would like, but there has been no backsliding for me, I'm wearing smaller clothes now than I did when I was previously at this weight, and most importantly, I've developed a sustainable lifestyle.

Best of luck in your efforts - you only fail when you give up completely.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe open your diary so people can get an idea of what you are eating
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Nope. You control your own destiny.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You can try to eat 5-6 small meals a day. I was never a bf person and would skip it all the time and found myself eating late at night. make sure you eat bf even if its a small piece of fruit or yogurt, toast with pb just eat something when you wake up. think of your body as a fire-you always have to keep it fueled for it to burn. Also your calories may be too low and that may put you on that plateau. Try to increase them a little especially when you work out 5 to 6 xs a week. It will boost your metabolism. Watch your carbs-sometimes when Im stuck I will lower my carbs to about 100 but only for a few days and that will usually start my weight loss again. When your not feeling well decrease your calories when you dont work out. Also drink plenty of water. I use to drink 3 to 5 pepsis a day so trust me I know all about the soda. That was the hardest to give up but sometimes I will sneak 1 in:noway: Get plenty of sleep. This are just little things that I do hopefully it will work for you. dont give up!!!! You may have to play around with your intake to see what works for you. Also try to switch up your excercise routine as well. When you do the same thing your body gets use to it and the excersices dont have the same impact they did at the beginning.. Good Luck!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    If you are logging all your food and exercise, and you don't have a health issue like diabetes or thyroid, then you've chosen the wrong calorie amount.

Open your diary.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if the world is out to get me-ya'll better run faster to catch me!:bigsmile:
  • Jessika616
    Options
    I am in the same bought with you...minus the huge move. I am buying a house for the first time on thurday, doing a family golf tournement out of town this weekend that I promised a long time ago, and bridal shower at the end of the month. Big things cause so much stress and all I want to do is give up and hide in bed...and eat....but I am not giving up and neither should you! I've been stuck at this weight for about 2 years now. Actually I even gained some back...I am at 214...my lowest was 196...2 lbs away from being 50lbs down...do you know how much that sucks? ugh. Sorry...what I am saying is stick with it. I know it sucks but it is so worth it.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know for myself personally, I have to eat right AND work out to see real weight loss. If I just work out but don't eat properly, it just doesn't happen.

I know you said you only have one cheat meal a week - which isn't bad, but perhaps in the beginning you need to be very strict on yourself and not allow any cheating? That's what I have done for myself in the past - no cheating until I had lost my first 10lbs. At that point my metabolism was really evened out and eating one bad meal every now and then did not affect my weight so much as long as I kept working out.

Also, a few other things to think about:

1. Gluten intolerance - it could be you have a gluten intolerance and so even eating whole wheat/grain breads is hurting your body, You should be able to get tested for this at your doctors.

2. Sugar - remember, processed sugars will turn to fat so make sure you aren't having so much, if any.

3. Anaerobic vs aerobic exercise - I learned from my dr, that certain peoples bodies do not respond to aerobic exercises, only anaerobic. This happened to me when I was going to the gym religiously 5 days a week, doing 30-45 mins a day on the ellitpcial. After 6 weeks of this, I hadn't lost a pound!!!! Speak to a dr or nutritionist about this and they should be able to counsel you on the proper type of exercise to do for your body type if you want to burn fat.

I hope this helps you and you eventually figure out what the issue is. Keep up the good work and good luck!!!!