Recovering from an Eating Disorder?

Options
Hey everyone. Let me just preface this by saying that I AM seeing a therapist for this, and am considering going to an outpatient treatment facility for people with ED's.

That said, I was just wondering if there was anything in particular I could do to begin losing weight in a healthy way. I know the obvious answer would be just to "eat more", but there is an incredible amount of fear that goes along with eating for me.

For instance, today I tried to up my calories to 700, as preparation for eating like a "normal" person should. I failed miserably. I'm currently sitting at a net of 27 after exercise. My diary is friends-locked for obvious reasons, but my average net for the past week has been around 160 cals per day. I eat mainly protein, because I'm doing low (read: no) carbs.

I know I have a problem, and I know I can't continue doing this, I would just LOVE to be told that eating normally will not make me skyrocket back up to 153lbs. I've lost 22 lbs total, putting me at 131lbs, a normal weight for my height.

Anyways, would you guys just be willing to give me encouragement? I'd even take motivational pictures at this point. I just wish I could be like the rest of you super FIT ladies who eat what they want and who I consider to be so brave. I'm just having a really hard time reconciling food with weight loss.

Replies

• RHI4N
    RHI4N Posts: 3
    Options
    So are you at a healthy weight at the moment? x
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    So are you at a healthy weight at the moment? x

Yes, I'm 5'1 and 131 lbs. My goal weight used to be 102 but I changed it to a more reasonable 120.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send my support. I hope, with help from your therapist, you are able to overcome this.
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send my support. I hope, with help from your therapist, you are able to overcome this.

Thank you very much, I hope so too. :)
  • RHI4N
    Options
    Good. I'm glad you've realised that it's getting out of control before you reach the underweight mark. I'm on a low carb diet myself and I eat around 1300 a day (but only because I'm still losing). On some days I even eat up to 1600 and I don't gain as long as my carbs are kept low. With your carbs and cals so low I'm surprised you have the energy to stand up.

I think when somebody is at they're goal weight it's all about finding the perfect number of calories for them. Like upping calories to the point where you don't gain and you don't lose. Once you've found that, sticking to it will ensure you stay at that weight. I did that for years (I only gained when I had a baby) and it worked for me. Most importantly you must remember that by upping your calories you're not going to wake up the next day a stone heavier! Aim for health more than a perfect weight :smile: x
  • RHI4N
    Options
    Oh and providing that goal weight is a healthy one...x
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was thinking you may try drinking a little of your calories. Do something soothing and nourishing, like a homemade fruit juice or smoothie. slowly you have to re-wire your eyes to see food as something that feeds beautiful hair, glowing skin, long lean muscles. If you look at long term ED sufferers you can see how it slowly strips their body. Look at Donatella Versace, you can see how her body cant produce healthy cells anymore, really sad. now her daughter is battling it aswell. If you want to look like a godess feed yourself like one :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    glad to hear you are going to therapy. My daughter was bulimic but has recovered so it is possible. You're headed in the right direction. One food that will increase calories and still give you the extra protein you feel you can deal with is Greek yogurt. I prefer the fruit ones but there are lots of things you can add to the plain for your taste. Don't try to go up to the 700 cal. increase all at once since that scares you. Make it 150-200 cal. more a day for a week or so and then a little bit more. There is plenty of support on mfp. You can do this.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I know I have a problem, and I know I can't continue doing this, I would just LOVE to be told that eating normally will not make me skyrocket back up to 153lbs. I've lost 22 lbs total, putting me at 131lbs, a normal weight for my height.

Anyways, would you guys just be willing to give me encouragement? I'd even take motivational pictures at this point. I just wish I could be like the rest of you super FIT ladies who eat what they want and who I consider to be so brave. I'm just having a really hard time reconciling food with weight loss.
    Don't rush you're doing great!!!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i was anorexic... and yes, my weight ballooned BECAUSE i ended up with polycystic ovarian syndrome from the anorexia. the first 50 i gained back were from the medication.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Getting my mental self right REALLY helped stop the food guilt and the bad mouthing myself when I made a bad choice. I had to use medication to do it, but it is totally worth it in my perspective.

I hope your therapy does the same for you, that something in it will suddenly click and your head will be in a better place and you can see things how they really are, not how you think they are (we all have messed up views on one thing or another)

Good luck and keep going to those therapists. Even if you feel like they are doing nothing. Someday you might be having a tough time and remember talking about that exact situation in a boring session with therapy - and you'll know just how to react and help yourself through it.
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    I'm in recovery from EDNOS and yes, I did put on weight very quickly when I started eating 'normally' again but I'm eating around 2000-2500 calories per day now and I'm still losing weight.
    There is hope, love ^_^
  • abetterjune
    Options
    Health should be your priority, not losing weight.. its the eating disorder that wants you to lose weight. what does your therapist think about your continuing desire to lose weight? or your use of this site?

Most people that I've known on mfp who have successfully found recovery from disordered eating stopped using this site, at the very least, temporarily.

Here's how I see it: A con of recovery is often initial weight gain, and a "pro" of maintaining disordered eating habits is maintaining an artificially low weight, or continuing to lose weight BUT when you have recovered, your distorted feelings around wanting to lose more weight will (hopefully!!) change. Okay, did that make any sense? haha.

no judgement. good luck.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just take it slowly and try adding 100 calories per week or somesuch. I think you also need to reconcile yourself with the idea that if you want to lose weight the healthy way, you are going to need to forget about weight for a short time until your body is accustomed to your eating at a higher level. In the end, what choice do you have other than to carry on as you are and become seriously ill and have it forced upon you, or to do this yourself by accepting that yes, you might gain some weight before you get to a point of losing it again, but at least if you do things this way, you wont end up damaging your organs, possibly ending up infertile, and ending up in hospital with a myriad of issues.

I also suggest you think hard about why you have made your weight and eating such a strong point of focus to the point it has become more important than being alive and healthy. I used to have anorexia and almost died a few times from it (I was 5'11 and 70Ibs at my lowest). It shrunk me just over an inch in height, my bones are weaker than they should be, I developed an underactive thyroid and am lucky I didn't develop worse. I am now 126Ibs, and still with eating issues some 20 years later, with many amazing opportunities missed and lost because I chose to obsess about the scale and a silly little number rather than living my life and facing my problems head on.

I am eating 2000-2800 calories per day, with my exercise, to maintain. You need to experience that major shift in your brain where being fit and having a healthy and happy looking body becomes more important than being a certain weight and only you can reach that point, no matter what anyone suggests to you in the end. Good luck.
  • notRapunsel
    Options
    Hmm..difficult topic to discuss, but you're super brave for asking advice and wanting to eat normally! My own experience was that after 4 years of anorexia where I lost 60 pounds, I all of the sudden shot up 60 pounds in about 5 mo. and didn't know what to do. I joined MFP and specifically the group "Eat More to Lose Weight" and I'm currently trying to get all of my metabolism problems straightened out RIGHT NOW! If you want to be one of those fit women who eat healthy, but a lot, I would highly recommend joining our group! Everyone's really nice and you can increase calories gradually if you don't want to all of the sudden eat so much. Feel free to friend me if you want, I definitely don't judge as I know EXACTLY what you're going through! Keep up the good fight - stay strong, and keep growing stronger!

Also, if you know of anyone in your life who used to have an eating disorder, talk to them if you feel comfortable! Chances are, they won't judge either, and most likely can give you some great advice.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I had a wonderful friend on this site who struggled against her anorexia. She was short, and went from 160lbs to 92 in something like 6-8 months.

But she got help, went to outpatient and a couple hospitals. She had some pretty bad irreversible heart damage. Her stomach won't be the same. But she worked very hard to get herself better.

She regained weight during a few weeks of what she called 'massive eating' where she ate 2500 calories a day. In those few weeks she gained about 15 lbs, but that only put her at 107-110. She still looked frail and thin.

She spent the next 2 months working out with dumbbells in her apartment, and staying at 1900-2500 cals a day (sometimes more when she went to the pub with friends) She also played an instrument in a band and that kept her upperbody in good shape.

The result? Her mind is still foggy from all she has survived. Her heart, stomach, and GI will never be 'healthy' but they have repaired themselves quite a bit. She stayed in the 110-115 area, with a great BMI of 20-21. She still had days of struggle where she felt fat, but she had many more days where she felt FIT. She would share photos of herself flexing in the mirror and we were so proud to see she was no longer sickly thin, pale and ill looking, but she had a very muscular tone to her small body, as though all the weight she gained went straight in as muscle.

I have no talked to her for a few months now as she left this site, but I hope she has continued to surpass her own goals and stay healthy.

I tell you this story because I hope you can do the same. Eating more is scary, it is. Just try it every day. Even if you fail 1 day. If you fail 30 days. Just keep trying it.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have been recovered from a decade long ED for over 10 years, and I am proud of you for taking the first steps to being healthy. :) Honestly though, it sounds like you are still struggling with your relationship with food, and have lost this weight in an unhealthy way- overly restricting and being very strict with your food choices.That's the ED manifesting in a new way. :(

When I ate normally after years of eating 500 calories a day- I did gain weight- very quickly. It was something I struggled with for a long time- gaining, restricting, gaining- until I decided to be healthy and a good role model for my daughters. It has not been an easy road. I had to heal mentally before I could tackle the physical. It sucks having to deal with this.

By then I was overweight, and struggled to reset my metabolism, and then lose weight in a healthy way without crossing 'that line'. The metabolism reset is hard and scary. It has all been challenging, but so VERY worth it. :)

My advice is to stay with your therapists. Focus on healing and being in a better place mentally and emotionally before starting on the physical journey. Feel free to friend! I'd be glad to offer support along the way. :flowerforyou:
  • dottheallison
    Options
    I am 5'1" too. I was an overweight (not obese, but not fit) kid but got down to 114 lbs because of EDNOS when I was about 15. I realized that my control was slipping before I got caught and I stopped. It has taken me almost 10 years, but I've put all the weight back on and more. I could go into the psychology of it, but everyone has their reasons, I'm fortunate enough to be able to recognize mine and avoid triggers. Suffice it to say I completely understand your feelings about food, I've been there. I have always had an emotional connection with food but this time I'm determined to lose it the healthy way by changing my lifestyle - and keep it off.

You can do this. Do it for yourself. Start slowly and stick with it.
    We're all pulling for you!
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    bump. :/
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    I 'recovered' a few years ago, though I still have some aspects of my life where it bothers me (such as food shopping). I found the most importan part of recovery was to go through the therapy as it helped me develop a more healthy image of myself and develop realistic goals. I also found getting into sports and training helped me, it gave me motivation to eat right because otherwise I could t perform well.
    Not sure if any of this will help but feel free to add me on here x