excercising to eat junk?

Options

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes give myself a day off to have junk food. I don't exercise for it. I just have a nice relaxing day off. I don't mind doing that - I don't feel guilty. I think it's good, so long as it's just an occasional day, and not all the time.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes... Earn your junk food.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I allow myself more leeway on my heavy exercise days. And keep my treats small. I'm not big on junk food in general. But some chocolate from time to time is worth a little extra time in the pool or on the bike.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not really burn as many calories as people think. If you want a cookie, or whatever, eat it. Then stop. If the bag says a serving is one cookie, or two, eat no more than one serving. When you deny yourself, you end out on a binge at some point. Just don't make junk you main food. No one prefers tuna to a chocolate bar. Well, no one I know anyway. But try to eat well most of the time and indulge your cravings only rarely. Eventually, you'll have less desire for the sweets and the junk. Also, look for healthier versions of the cookies you love or whatever type of junk you prefer.
  • Bsexi88
    Bsexi88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You're not alone I think we are all guilty of some sort of this but the thing is to always move your body.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I usually do that once a week. I'll exercise like a mad women and eat very little throughout the day just so I can have three pieces of Pizza Hut pizza for dinner. Doing it every once in a while won't hurt. Just don't make a huge habit of it. :)
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I'll look at the calorie count on junk food and think, "omg I'll have to run for like an hour and a half straight to burn that off... maybe I'll find something else to eat." Works for me because I'm lazy as all hell. The last thing I want to have to do is exercise more :P
  • khoffmom
    khoffmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i workout for wine.

I'd love this on a t-shirt!
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes , I enjoy my work out but what would be the porpose if I could not enjoy a sweet or a drink every so often.:bigsmile:
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    i workout for wine.

I'd love this on a t-shirt!

Make it so! http://www.spreadshirt.com/design-your-own-t-shirt-C59 :D
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I will push myself to do a longer workout if I really want a treat that day, but I've scaled back treats, 100 calorie ice cream treats are my go-to, hit the spot!
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    That happen to me yesterday! I intentionally indulged in a high calories breakfast (900) knowing I would have to work it off in the gym later that evening. As long as you work out the excessive calories, you consumed I think you should be fine. Just make sure it's not everyday or else you'll be just maintaining your weight.

Agree completely!
  • betrayalunknown
    Options
    I do this every day of my [pathetic] life. At least two hours at the gym everyday so that I can EAT.

Some healthy, some not-so-healthy.

To me, since I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, it makes no huge difference. As long as I am happy. <-- that is my new mantra!!! Make it yours, too :)

I'm happy when I'm at the gym (for the most part, when creepers aren't creeping and people aren't lounging on machines or talking loudly on cell phones) and I'm even happier when I can eat without guilt (ah, again for the most part).

To me, it's a win-win.

I think it's a lot easier to eat when you've "earned" it. [However some people could argue that your exercise shouldn't be theoretically "sabotaged" by your desire to consume what you burned off.... but that is another story...]

But ultimately, I think it is up to you to decide how "quickly" you would like to lose the weight and reach your goal weight. It's possilbe that your indulgence here and there might "set you back"... weigh (no pun intended) your goals and decide from there. But it's important to take it day by day. Don't stress over small amounts of calories. Still find a way to enjoy yourself. Don't over-do it (anything, really: eating, exercising, stressing!!)... Keep yourself motivated within YOUR OWN constraints!! Good luck xo
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes , I enjoy my work out but what would be the porpose if I could not enjoy a sweet or a drink every so often.:bigsmile:

Exactly! :drinker:
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i workout for wine.

Me too
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think oh I should work out extra today so I can have that cookie or donut? Why don't I want to excercise so that I can have a bigger piece of chicken or some tuna??

Is it just one of those things you go through on this journey or just me? LOL

Sometimes I use my exercise calories for junk. Most of the time I use them on good foods. But I typically work a little junk into my days with or without exercise.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i workout for wine.

I want a shirt that says this. Or a bumper sticker. Or tattooed across my chest...
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think oh I should work out extra today so I can have that cookie or donut? Why don't I want to excercise so that I can have a bigger piece of chicken or some tuna??

Is it just one of those things you go through on this journey or just me? LOL

The only things I really got rid of were soda and trans fats. I pretty much allow myself what I want. I am trying to make this a way of life and not a punishment lol!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    WIll run for pizza, cake, cookies, and candy!!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do because I have to have sweets every now and then!!