Sweet potato anyone !?! Low calorie tasty recipes pls

Options
Hi Everyone,

I never really used sweet potatoes before, so I would appreciate any advice or recipes you wish to share with me :)

Thanks Everyone :)

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love them baked with a little butter & salt and tons of black pepper. Also, try dicing them up and shaking them in a ziplock bag with a little bit of olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for an awesome side dish. I love sweet potatoes!
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love making baked sweet potato chips and dipping them in sweet chili sauce. Just slice the potato really thing, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, line the potatoes up so they aren't touching and season with garlic salt or season salt, to taste. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, turning after 10. It's a great snack!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can Mash them, like Mashed potatoes-use brown sugar or Agava
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Wrap in Reynolds Wrap and stab about a dozen times with fork...throw in microwave for 5-8 minutes depending on potato size.

Allow to cool, eat plain.

That's how I do it.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    mashed with nutmeg & cinnamon, maybe a little butter spread but not too often
  • htalexander
    Options
    Bake them in foil ...then drizzle melted unsalted butter (or whatever substitute you like) and cinnamon...awesome! I love love love sweet potatos! lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i use them the same as i would regular potatoes as well as like a dessert (baked and served with a little butter, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg)

they are really good in soups. i love the mix of savory from whatever the other ingredients are in the soup and the slightly sweet from the potatoes
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato pie, perhaps crustless
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I like to chop them up into about 1/2 inch pieces, put a tiny amount of oil in a pan (about a teaspoon) and fry them up and add them to whatever I'm eating for the night to bulk up the meal a bit. They taste great with pretty much everything.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Bake it... eat it... done. I add nothing to my sweet potatoes... they rock as is!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Dice, heat, and combine with black beans. Add barbecue or fajita flavored rice. Serve as is or place in a tortilla wrap.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad

4 servings

Active Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

4 medium sweet potatoes
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    1.Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425 degrees F until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)
    2.Meanwhile, in a medium microwaveable bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, oil, cumin, coriander and salt; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)
    3.When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
  • hilary57
    hilary57 Posts: 18
    Options
    I love them baked ... and plain. If I have a little extra room in calorie count, I will use butter (I am fortunate to live near a fabulous small-tie dairy and get the premium stuff!).
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Don't eat me!!!

:)

Seriously, though, they are best in oven fry form. They turn out the best if you soak the slices/wedges in warm water for 10-15 minutes before tossing them with olive oil and baking. I like to make a yogurt dipping sauce to go with them.

For something a little different, I highly recommend Yotam Ottelenghi's Two-Potato Vindaloo. I made it with all sweet potatoes, and my girlfriend and I absolutely loved it.

This time of year you might want to try grilling them. They're good tossed in BBQ sauce and threaded on skewers with bell peppers and some kind of neutral protein like chicken or tofu. You'll need to soften the sweet potatoes before throwing them on the grill, either by boiling, steaming, or microwaving.

They're also great in tempura form, although you're probably trying to avoid deep fried foods.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big sweet eater, so this def kicks the craving on the rare occasion that I get one, especially since they're not too sweet. I usually use just a tiny big of olive oil to coat, shake a little salt and black pepper, a pinch of brown sugar, and cinnamon, shake it up and bake! :)
  • AfonsoSilva
    Options
    Wrap in Reynolds Wrap and stab about a dozen times with fork...throw in microwave for 5-8 minutes depending on potato size.

Allow to cool, eat plain.

That's how I do it.

This! Also just cook them in boiling water until they are soft (stab with a fork, they should offer no resistance). Remove from stove, drain the water, and eat them plain or with your favorite spread.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm eating one right now. Plain, right out of the microwave.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Barbeque: slice to 1/2 inch thick; parboil til just barely soft in the center; remove with slate spoon to drain off most of water; brush both sides with olive oil - just a touch. Barbeque (WATCH carefully) I like to get blackened stripes.

delicious. hungry just writing this down.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...Sweet Potato Fries.... layer them on a baking sheet, drizzle some olive oil and add seasoning of choice. Then bake them at 400 degrees for like 40-50 minutes. So yummy. Oh and lay down aluminum foil on the baking sheet so it is easier to clean up.

Just had these last night but want to make them again now.
  • photoshyY
    Options
    I have only used sweet potatoes in few ways. The 3 side or snack recipes listed below and as a potato substitute (French fries, mashed potato, sweet potato pancakes" Hope you like them;

Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lime and Cilantro

Ingredients
    3 sweet potatoes, unpeeled
    Kosher salt
    2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup canola oil
    Freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    Precook: Place in a pot of water and boil until fork-tender; let cool. Slice each potato lengthwise into eighths.

Preheat a grill to medium or place a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat. Mix 1 tablespoon salt, the lime zest and cayenne in a small bowl.

Brush the potato wedges with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on all sides (including the skin) and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; immediately season with the salt mixture and sprinkle with cilantro.

SERVES: 4 (SIDE); Calories: 209; Total Fat 14 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Protein: 2 grams; Total carbohydrates: 20 grams; Sugar: 4 grams Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 174

Sliced Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce

Ingredients
    2 medium sized sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
    1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
    1 tsp Chipotle seasoning
    1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped

Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    2. Thinly slice each potato almost all the way through.
    3. Lightly mist with olive oil mister, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
    4. Put in the oven and bake for about 40 – 45 minutes.
    5. While potato is cooking, mix yogurt with chipotle seasoning.
    6. Remove potatoes from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Top each potato with ½ of the yogurt sauce. Garnish with fresh chives. Serve immediately.

Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
    2 servings (Serving size is 1 potato with 1/4 cup sauce)
    PER SERVING: 150 calories; 0g fat; 31g carbohydrates; 13g protein; 4g fiber
    Kale and Goat Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe

Ingredients
    • 2 lb sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
    • 4 cups chopped kale
    • 4 oz goat cheese
    • 1 cup fat free buttermilk
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Instructions
    1. Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot filled with water. Boil uncovered for 15 minutes or till they are very soft.
    2. Drain the sweet potatoes well and leave them in the colander.
    3. In the same pot, add the kale, goat cheese and buttermilk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer till the kale has just wilted. Add salt and pepper. Turn off heat.
    4. Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the hot kale and milk. Mash well. If the mashed sweet potato is too thick, add more milk to thin it out to your liking.

Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
    Number of servings 6 (Serving size is about 3/4 cup)
    PER SERVING: 144 calories; 4.5g fat; 19g carbohydrates; 8g protein; 3g fiber