new and trying to avoid surgery

Options
Hi, my name is Vicki. I'm new to the site. I'm using it to try an avoid surgery. I have a BMI of 40 and I have been struggling to lose the weight. I exercise 5 to 6 times a week and its still not coming off. So it must be the foods/amounts I'm eating. So I'm hoping that logging everything will make me aware of what I'm eating and help me to lose the weight. Any advise would be wonderful. If you have had surgery and want to share your story, that's great too. I'm just lost and really ready to lose this weight.

Replies

• Number1Goof
    Options
    Hi Vicki! I haven't had surgery, but I would like to encourage and support you. :) You can add me if you want.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Start by logging what you've eaten already today. Don't judge yourself or get down on yourself about it. By logging all your food and drinks, you will be educating yourself, nothing more.

Drink lots of water.

Most important thing is to log every bite. Seriously. It's the ONE thing you really must do.

Lots of people here have lost close to 200 pounds, and there are many who have lost more. Spend your free time here reading the Success Stories.

Remember - You only fail if you quit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I agree, go ahead and log what you've eaten so far today. When you look at how things add up it can be really eye-opening. That was a huge first step for me, just realizing how MUCH I was eating in comparison to what my body actually needs. Once I saw what I was already doing, I had an idea of what I needed to change.
  • terry_mtb
    Options
    I have 2 friends on here where there drs are suggesting this..please dont..mine was sussessful. I can eat anything i want, but i still cant eat alot at one time, but you still have to make sure you eat the right foods, keep a journal like here,,I wish I could go into detali but I cant type that good or fast..I have a verizon cell if you want some answers.
    I am not sick but there are a few things they do not tell you once it is done..I had mine done in 2006 my cousin in 2002.she is now having transfusions all due to this.

Terry
  • Poemetra
    Poemetra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. You should log your food for a day or two to see how you are eating. It will be an eye opener. I thought that I wasn't eating as much but when I logged it I found out the truth. I will support you! I know that you can do this!
  • Bearman45
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You've come to the right place. I have not had the surgery but I know two people who have. They both lost weight as a result. One had it done about 20 years ago and has been happy with the result, although the change in lifestyle that it forced was difficult. The other had it done about a year ago a regrets it greatly. In my opinion, it really is a last resort.

That said, there are many, many other ways to lose weight. Just read the success stories on this site. The main thing is to educate yourself about food and nutrition, and start paying attention to what you eat and how it affects your body. We're all different, so others, like me, can give you some guidelines or suggestions, but ultimately you will need to learn what works for you specifically.

MFP is a great logging tool, so it's a good place to start. Log everything, without fail. The record will help you learn your own nutritional needs.

I learned a great deal from a video called "Hungry For Change" which is about what our body does with the food we eat, and how it affects us. Google it. Learn a little about the glycemic index of foods and how high vs low index numbers will affect you. Learn about water and salt intake and their effects. Google is helpful here too.

Most importantly, know that you CAN make the changes needed to improve your health. The importance of being positive cannot be over stated. Find a little piece of joy in every day. Take time to smile at yourself. Set some goals. Use MFP daily.

I began my journey with a BMI of 37, high blood pressure and high glucose. The list was endless actually. My health issues are gone, and everything about my life is, well, different. You can do it too. Start today.

Happy to be your MFP friend if you'd like.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    Wow everyone, thank you thank you for your responses. I never expected more than 2. Anyway, I have started logging and I will be completely honest and log everything . Thank you again.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Hi, my name is Vicki. I'm new to the site. I'm using it to try an avoid surgery. I have a BMI of 40 and I have been struggling to lose the weight. I exercise 5 to 6 times a week and its still not coming off. So it must be the foods/amounts I'm eating. So I'm hoping that logging everything will make me aware of what I'm eating and help me to lose the weight. Any advise would be wonderful. If you have had surgery and want to share your story, that's great too. I'm just lost and really ready to lose this weight.

Dont have the surgery!! Surgery is not the Way to go. You can do this. You just gotta work hard and eat better. I can testify that it can be done. Please just stay positive and stay on here.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've had surgery on my hip, and am on my way back in for both hips, and maybe a joint fusion... I'm only 19 (as of tomorrow anyway ;) ) I'm trying to stay as healthy as I can and am trying to lose the weight I put on my surgery and all my injuries (I can't even begin to tell you... lol) Anyway, I'm here for any advice or help. Not entirely sure what you need surgery for, though. Feel free to add me!!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You've come to the right place. I have not had the surgery but I know two people who have. They both lost weight as a result. One had it done about 20 years ago and has been happy with the result, although the change in lifestyle that it forced was difficult. The other had it done about a year ago a regrets it greatly. In my opinion, it really is a last resort.

That said, there are many, many other ways to lose weight. Just read the success stories on this site. The main thing is to educate yourself about food and nutrition, and start paying attention to what you eat and how it affects your body. We're all different, so others, like me, can give you some guidelines or suggestions, but ultimately you will need to learn what works for you specifically.

MFP is a great logging tool, so it's a good place to start. Log everything, without fail. The record will help you learn your own nutritional needs.

I learned a great deal from a video called "Hungry For Change" which is about what our body does with the food we eat, and how it affects us. Google it. Learn a little about the glycemic index of foods and how high vs low index numbers will affect you. Learn about water and salt intake and their effects. Google is helpful here too.

Most importantly, know that you CAN make the changes needed to improve your health. The importance of being positive cannot be over stated. Find a little piece of joy in every day. Take time to smile at yourself. Set some goals. Use MFP daily.

I began my journey with a BMI of 37, high blood pressure and high glucose. The list was endless actually. My health issues are gone, and everything about my life is, well, different. You can do it too. Start today.

Happy to be your MFP friend if you'd like.

Well Said.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find lots of support here. I wasn't trying to avoid surgery but my husband was considering surgery. We both started MFP and have had great success!

I would love to help you out with any advice you need...however, I do a bit better with specific questions so I know what you're looking for specifically.

Please feel free to add me...same goes for anyone else
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I came to MFP in May under very similar circumstances as yours...I have not had any surgery but I have been losing weight! In addition to logging my food...I have found that weighing and measuring my portions has really helped me a lot!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    In order to log you need to measure. Saying it's a cup won't matter if it turns out to be more. Or calling it 400 grams if it's 500. Weigh and measure everything. Then you know. Don't guess. Those extras add up. Kitchen scales are inexpensive so are measuring cups., and spoons. Surgery or not, almost anyone here will welcome and support you. I will if you like.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    thank you, you are right and i am measuring food already. I'm not against surgery and will never put down anyone who has done it. I'm just not sure yet that it is for me. I'm not there yet mentally. I have been to informational seminars, I have read books and researched it. I just want to give it another go at trying to do it without the surgery. I hope I did not offend anyone. I really want to hear the input of those how have done the surgery. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone. I never meant too.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't think you came across as offensive. Almost no one really wants to have surgery, but sometimes it's one of those necessary things. If you want to do this without it, it's certainly possible, but it will be a lot of work. You can do it, though. We all believe in you.

Add me if you'd like. I don't have as much to lose, but I can still use your encouragement, and I will do my best to encourage you, too.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Good on you for deciding to try it the "natural" way first. The way I see it... post-surgery lifestyle involves strict adherence to a diet and healthier lifestyle anyway to avoid complications right? So, if you are going to have to do that either way, I would always chose the less invasive option - make the change first before resorting to surgery. It may take you longer to get to your goal, but I think when it comes to healthy eating, slow and steady wins the race.

Check out the "success" posts with all the before and after pics people share... it's truly inspirational!
  • srsmith81
    Options
    Hi... I have a great deal weight to lose myself.. I just started a month ago... and its really helping..its so wonderful to see everyone else's success... just inspiring... ive never wrestled with weightloss surgery... because ive seen it kill people or make them sick..and i just feel like i couldnt be proud in doing it that way..when i know if i work hard enough i can and will lose the weight. I have a one year old son... and i have to get healthy for him.... I want him to have childhood memories of mommy taking him to the park and chasing him around..or being able to ride the rides when we take him to disney... i want to have the energy to be a good healthy mom to him... and i have a long way to go..but i started walking and strength training at least 3 times a week..we set a goal to walk a 5k in november... all the proceeds go to help military members injured in battle... Mostly i struggle because i love food... Ive never seen it as fuel for the body but more of a hobby.. i love to cook, bake, and eat..i love spending time around the dinner table with loved ones.. enjoying the company and the food... but i love the idea of living to see my son grow up more... i love the idea of making it to 50 more... at 30, i have high blood pressure..both my parents have high blood pressure..and my dad has had a heart attack and open heart surgery... so im at high risk.... so i have to change... Good luck in your i weight loss journey.. id love to support you any way i can.... all who have responded please feel free to add me as a friend.. id love to be as encouraging to all of you..as you all are to me... Be Blessed...
  • Holliday2
    Options
    Trust me it works if your journal. Having done weight watchers I've learned if you can see what you eat on paper than it gives you incentive to improve. I lost 40 lbs a few years ago by exercise and watching the amount of food I eat. I haven't changed what I eat, because I feel the food I eat is very healthy, it was just too much of it. Now I measure and its working fine. I'm in no rush to lose it quickly, slow is the best route to go. Add me as a friend and I will support you.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Start by logging what you've eaten already today. Don't judge yourself or get down on yourself about it. By logging all your food and drinks, you will be educating yourself, nothing more.

Drink lots of water.

Most important thing is to log every bite. Seriously. It's the ONE thing you really must do.

Lots of people here have lost close to 200 pounds, and there are many who have lost more. Spend your free time here reading the Success Stories.

Remember - You only fail if you quit.

^^this