If you've ever asked...how much water

Options
Short article. It takes about 3 minutes to read and its really interesting. For those of us who have ever asked "How much water do i need every day"

http://www.woot.com/blog/post/the-debunker-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-seriously

Replies

• sleepy184
    sleepy184 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Not sure I totally agree with the article. I could understand how it puts the kidneys under pressure but I do feel better when I drink more water. It will be interesting to see other people opinion on this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always use bloggers as my go-to source of information.
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always use bloggers as my go-to source of information.

i think we have a trollllllllll
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I recall this coming up many times before. I'm surprised it took so long to come up again!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Is that the guy from Jeopardy?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I didn't honestly find it all that interesting. Other than his specific source, I've seen it all debated and all those things said previously. Shrug... To each their own, but I *will* say that I drink a ton MORE water than that more days than I don't. (It is 4:19 PM where I am right now & I all ready have in EIGHTEEN, yes you read that right, cups of water. Just water.). And I feel pretty darn good these days. Just sayin...
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @eaglesfanintn- i was wondering the same thing. also, when I drink water, I feel so much better- if i'm not drinking water, that is normally not good- it means i'm doing other stuff such as eating way too much and eating bad stuff
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is that the guy from Jeopardy?
    Yup.

I drink nearly a gallon of water every day because it's free of calories and mostly money-wise (long-term averaging of the monthly water bill).
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It's BS on water intoxication. You need to lose a great deal of minerals and take a lot of water in a short amount of time without dietary sodium/potassium/etc. intake. It's a rare scenario and a total BS to scare people off from water.

I have hypotension so usually I need more sodium than an average person does. I go up to 20-22 cups of water on intense workout without any problems.

The key is not drinking X cups of water. It's to keep your urine clear and not in the color of apple juice. Drink more if you're not there yet and don't drink if you're already peeing clean.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I prefer to just listen to my body and drink as much as it takes to make me not thirsty. Which averages about a gallon of water and 6-8 large cups of coffee a day, but hey thats just me. I'm sure someone somewhere knows better what I need, but haven't met or read them yet Thank goodness I have my own bathroom at work. :-)
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    I posted this simply because i thought it was interesting. If you dont, great. I so dont care. I just wanted to share it.

But most of you seem to be forgetting. He said there are exceptions: like people who workout(this is a workout site, pretty sure that means all of you, right?) and people who are prone to kidney stones(sure there are people here with that, myself included) and pretty sure there are other exceptions to that as well. He did not say everyone should not drink a lot of water. In general.
  • Ashmcfarland
    Options
    Here is an article written by actual doctors...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

I try to drink 1/2 my weight in oz every day... That's around 100 oz. for now. I feel great :)
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I hadn't read this specific article, but I read the study referenced about a year ago (when I was trying to force my weight in ounces daily). It really messed with my bladder overnight (I'd wake up in the morning having to pee really bad and not be able to go)

I cut back to 4-6 glasses a day which turned out to be drinking when I was thirsty. I eat a lot of fruit and fresh meat so I get plenty of water in my food.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I drink more! And I would question where he gets his information from! I have to admit though that I don't really like the 1 size fits all approach as well!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I try to drink 1/2 my weight in oz every day... That's around 100 oz. for now. I feel great :)

But this article does not say you need to drink 64 oz., 91 oz., etc. of water every day. It says fluid. It's generally agreed that you do not need to drink 8 glasses of water per day, you need 8 glasses of fluid per day.
  • Ashmcfarland
    Options
    I was just kidding, I thought it was strange that the article was written by the jeopardy guy :)

In my opinion, you should just drink whatever you need to feel good!!

But this article does not say you need to drink 64 oz., 91 oz., etc. of water every day. It says fluid. It's generally agreed that you do not need to drink 8 glasses of water per day, you need 8 glasses of fluid per day.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

If you go to the actual report from the Institute of Medicine referrenced by the Mayo Clinic this is what is says

"The vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide. The report did not specify exact requirements for water, but set general recommendations for women at approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water -- from all beverages and foods -- each day, and men an average of approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces daily) of total water. The panel did not set an upper level for water. "

So again we can let ourselves be guided by thirst (crazy concept) and water in food counts.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I try to drink water when I'm thirsty.

If I don't drink water than I get dehydrated.

If I get dehydrated than eventually I will die.

I like not dying.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Aside from what everyone else says, I think its a very interesting article and I appreciate the OP for posting it =]
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It is so funny reading how the subject of water can best controversial. It's just water people. Drink it, don't drink it.....it is a personal choice....how much depends on the person and their needs. Personally I try to drink 8 + cups a day.... I also drink a coffee and a green tea and the odd soda..... I am continously drinking something. Keeps hunger at bay for me as well.

The average person can go without food for a month but water it would be approx 3 days.....thus I think water is an important factor. It helps clean the body and helps us eliminate the fat we are so trying to lose. I think water has been an important factor in my weight loss and has given my skin a lovely glow....lol.....