Should I maintain or keep losing??

Options
Right now my goal is set at 100lbs. I am slightly shorter than 5 feet tall. After I had my daughter, I weighed 150lbs. At that time my goal was 130 and then I changed it to 120 and now (weighed in today at 121) and my husband is telling me that I have a problem if I want to go down to 100.... I told him that I will see how I feel as the weight loss continues and that I wont lose so much so that I'm unhealthy but I feel like he doesn't understand that I'm barley even 5 feet tall!! I've tried to do some research and according to a few different sites (and my WiiFit) my weight is considered within the "normal" range, however, going down to 100 wont put me in the "underweight" category so I don't really see it as being an issue.. but he's making it seem like I have a problem or something. And even though I'm in the "normal" range right now, I'm not at all comfortable with how I look.

Keep in mind 100 is just a number I threw out because thats what I **think** would look good, but obviously when I get to lets say 110 and if I feel good about it, I'll just maintain that weight.... or.... should I just try to maintain my current weight just to shut my husband up? lol

If there is anyone else out there around my height, what is your goal weight?

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get a body fat % check and then determine your goal weight from there.
    For me I have a goal weight, but it is more important to me that I feel good, and look good.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you feel good in your own skin is the way to go! I've also set my goal on the lower end of my healthy range. One thing I've learned about people since I've started this journey is that everyone has a different perception of what looks good when it comes to weight and body, but at the end of the day, the only opinion that really makes a difference is your own.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get a body fat % check and then determine your goal weight from there.
    For me I have a goal weight, but it is more important to me that I feel good, and look good.

What she says, especially as muscle weighs more than fat.
    Wouldn't you rather be 107 with 7 extra pounds of muscle, just burning off those extra calories while you sit around?
    You would probably have the same dress size, but would look toned etc.
    I guess the number is just a number, but use it as a guide, and be ok with stopping when you think u look right, not w hen you reach that number.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    When you're trying to lean out, try not to focus too much on your weight. All that matters is that your strength is maintained and you feel good.

For example, if you want to see your abs, you will need to be very lean (less than 10% body fat for men, 15% for women). But you have to have some muscle on your frame to look good once you reach these goals. If you dont have some mass underneath it all, you'll just look skinny and undernourished.

That's why strength training is so important. You want to lose weight, but what you really mean is you want to lose fat weight. You want to make sure you're preserving muscle when dieting. That way you've got some lean muscle to show off after your cut. Keeping tabs on your body fat percentages and your strength numbers will help you determine if the weight your losing is just fat, or both fat and muscle. Then you can adjust your diet and exercise routines accordingly.

Its a learning experience, and everybody is different. The key is to stick with it and experiment to determine what works best for your. It wont happen overnight.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    You definitely shouldn't maintain just to "shut your husband up". It's your body not his, so if you feel like you need to lose more weight to feel better about your body then do it. As for the going down to 100 lbs thing, I'd suggest talking to a physician or a doctor to determine if going down that low would be hurtful or not. I will never be able to be smaller than 135 because I have a large bone structure, so depending on your bone structure you may not be able to get down to 100. It all depends on your body.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I hit my original goal of 130 (I'm 5'4") and though I was in the middle of the healthy category, I still wasn't comfortable with myself. Now my goal is 123 or even 120 if that's what it takes for me to be happy. People tell me I should stop losing but I know my body is healthy and I would have to lose a lot more weight to be in the "underweight" category, which I don't plan on doing at all.

I think as long as you are being safe and healthy about it, it doesn't matter what others say because you know what you need to do to feel best about yourself. I think to others who have seen us bigger, the size we are now looks very small so it alarms them that we want to get even smaller - when in reality, we can get smaller and still be very healthy. Good luck to you!
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.. shows I should weigh under 115. I think, at 41, 115 and under is too small. I still want a little bit of curve.
    I am just going by the way i feel/look, and not what the charts say i should weigh.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When you're trying to lean out, try not to focus too much on your weight. All that matters is that your strength is maintained and you feel good.

For example, if you want to see your abs, you will need to be very lean (less than 10% body fat for men, 15% for women). But you have to have some muscle on your frame to look good once you reach these goals. If you dont have some mass underneath it all, you'll just look skinny and undernourished.

That's why strength training is so important. You want to lose weight, but what you really mean is you want to lose fat weight. You want to make sure you're preserving muscle when dieting. That way you've got some lean muscle to show off after your cut. Keeping tabs on your body fat percentages and your strength numbers will help you determine if the weight your losing is just fat, or both fat and muscle. Then you can adjust your diet and exercise routines accordingly.

Its a learning experience, and everybody is different. The key is to stick with it and experiment to determine what works best for your. It wont happen overnight.

VERY WELL SAID..... thanks :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

THIS THIS THIS. :D

You might find that 100 is perfect or maybe 120 is perfect. If you're questioning your overall goal, then a professional opinion is a good thing.

But if YOU are happy and healthy, then bugger the scale. :)
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    According to your BMI, 115-120 puts you in the middle of the "Normal" range. 100 is borderline "Underweight"
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    i am 5'3 and i weigh 140lbs, my goal is to get back to around 115lbs. I am concentrating on fitness rather than weight though. I think whatever makes you smile when you look in the mirror is good, whether that be 100lbs or 120lbs! Do what makes you happy!
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options

VERY WELL SAID..... thanks :)

^^^ Absolutely 100% agree!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think you should start lifting and doing strength exercise if you're not already. That way, you can lose fat and keep lean body mass. You will be stronger and look more toned, and you will probably still lose a little or even stay the same weight depending on the amount of your deficit.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well, in theory, you can be anything between 95lb and 130lb with your height, and that is considered a healthy BMI. But it will depend on your body and its build as to what is actually the best weight for you. For instance, if you have a small build, you can be on the lower end of the range and be healthy and look good, but if you have a big build, that might be a bit too thin, and might not be so healthy and might make you look gaunt. But you'll get a sense for it as you lose more weight. It's not like you have to aim for 100 and never change that aim.

I also agree with others that building some muscle is a good idea. It might make you heavier, because muscle is denser than fat, but it will make your body look more defined and shapely.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal

Read this, it's a good way to determine your goal weight.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    All or most husbands want us to stay fat..and not look our best. It is what they do. Don't ask his opinion..go down to 115 or 110...then post pics...and then ask adivce.. you know everyone here will tell you if you're too skinny or look just right.
  • eleblanc999
    Options
    ohhhh i love you all SO MUCH!!!! :heart: thank you all for the great advice!!! :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All or most husbands want us to stay fat..and not look our best. It is what they do. Don't ask his opinion..go down to 115 or 110...then post pics...and then ask adivce.. you know everyone here will tell you if you're too skinny or look just right.

I would say some husbands, aka the non active men who are insecure. Most of the men i know want their wives to be in great shape but we are all athletes..
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Fully agree with this. :)