best way to start running?

Options
13»

Replies

• TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i tried the 'just run til you need to walk' style at first and didn't get very far. then i tried the c25k and turns out i can run more than i thought. waiting, dying, for that voice to say 'walk' made me push myself way more than i did off my own back, as i suspected it would. i ran for 30minutes tonight, i might have got here eventually just pushing myself but tbh i dont think i would. i think i'd have confirmed to myself i wasn't capable of running and returned to my sofa. trusting the programme, being stubborn enough to want to finish what i started and running til i was told i could stop week after week as got me here. i'm evangelical about c25k.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K last April. I could barely run the 30 seconds, so I made my first week all 30 second runs and 2 minute walks. By the time I got to week 3, and after talking to my marathon-running sister, I decided to go with Jeff Galloway's run/walk approach. I now run 3 minutes and walk for 1 minute, although some days I run longer or shorter depending on how far I'm running and how I'm feeling. I can keep up the same pace (6+ MPH run/3.5 MPH walk) for an entire half marathon.

Honestly, the best way to start running is to just get out there and do it. Don't be afraid of it. You can leave worrying about running shoes until you're running for more than a few minutes at a time. That is, unless you're having joint, foot or shin pains. If that's happening, the time is now.

The advice I've given to many new runners:

1. Only run every other day, especially at first. Running every day leads to injury. Your body needs a chance to recover from this new, high impact activity. Don't do other high impact exercises on the days between, either. You want be able to keep on running so avoiding injury is the number one priority.

2. Don't run on concrete. It's too hard and will probably give you shin splints over time. Run on asphalt, a running track, or dirt, if possible.

3. Run slowly. Someone else mentioned being able to talk while running. If you're huffing and puffing, you're trying to go too fast. Right now you should focus on your endurance and distance. Later on you can work on your speed.

4. Have fun!

I personally don't like the "run until you're tired" philosophy. I've talked to too many runners who are afraid to take walk intervals for fear of not wanting to start to run again! I tell them that if you take walk breaks before you really need them that you'll actually WANT to start running again because you're restored some energy during that short break. During half marathons I'm usually passing people who have run the whole race during the last few miles. Many of them are still "running" but at such a slow pace they might as well be walking! To me, that just seems a little silly because it's a huge waste of energy to run at slow paces. Run fast, walk fast and your average time will be about the same.
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone this helps so much :)
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try LoLo Beatburn Treadmill app (can also use outside) or 0 to 5k! Love BOTH apps.
  • coffeerunner
    coffeerunner Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I learned by doing couch to 5k as well :)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    C25K is the best way to start
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Walk and slowly work your way up. Adding intervals of jogging and sprinting into your routine. And track your mile time if you're on a treadmill. Work on skimming time off your mile every month
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just lace the shoes up and go!!
    I started alternating between walking/jogging and still am but I can do 3 miles in 30mins and for a non-runner..I think that's pretty darn good :wink:
  • BarbACona
    Options
    Good for you! I am so excited to hear you say this as I just started C2K5 this week. I finished my 3rd day of running yesterday. Tomorrow I can start day one of my second week. I always wanted to be a runner too and now even at the age of 52, I have hope that I can really accomplish this! Continued good health and happy running to you :)
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started walking on the treadmill a little over a year ago for 15 minutes and thought I would die of exhaustion. I kept at it everyday until I was walking 3.5 miles at 3.5 MPH for an hour. In Jan I started "running". I used interval training similiar to C25K at my own pace. I would walk for 4.5 min and then run 30 sec at 4.5 MPH. Slowly I increased the running to 1 min ,then 2 min etc. and upped the speed and distance. 8 months later I now run 5-7 miles a day,not stopping at 6-7 MPH. IMO the key is an everyday approach.
    Good running shoes are also important!!!! At first I didn't want to put out the money, but now I know it really makes a difference. I am flat footed and I wear Asics foundation for flat feet. ($99). I also treated my self to good sports bras and outfits that make me feel good.