convince me

Options

Replies

• OwenEvan
    OwenEvan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find that I just decide that I am going....I tell myself that I will: "just do a quick work out" but once I get there I'm in the zone! :)

This works for me. I'm a teacher and I have a 3 and 4 year old, I know that warn out, tired, 'just want to sit still and relax for a second' feeling at the end of most days. BUT, if I can just get myself and my kids IN the gym, something about the energy of the place makes me want to work out. Once I'm working out, I feel good and I am really glad I went. I also find that asking my husband to help me get the boys to the gym or if I ask my husband to help motivate me- it really helps!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Finding time to exercise is hard.

Not exercising is hard.

Choose your hard.
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    My motivation is literally... if I don't drag myself to the gym tonight (no matter how tired and rundown I feel)... I will continue to wake up in the morning being that fat girl.

I don't want to be her anymore and I can't wake up with the guilt in 10 years knowing I could of just gone to the gym, ate healthy and woken up a healthy girl in a years time.

Nothing says motivation like remembering why you started on this journey....
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I work nights and I have my 2 kids I take care of during the day. I only get about 6 hours sleep if I am lucky. I have been going to the gym faithfully since March and it gives me so much more energy. The days I miss my energy just hits the floor. I feel so drained and tired. Just try to make yourself for 2 weeks and you will be amazed how much better you feel! Best of luck to you!!
  • Cms5227
    Cms5227 Posts: 13
    Options
    You seem confined to the idea of "working out." You don't have to go to the gym to burn calories. On MFP you can log "walking dog-brisk pace" or "raking leaves." There are so many things that you can do that are actually "chores" that burn calories. There are things in your life that will increase your overall productivity that burn many mnore calories than you would imagine.
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    "If you aim at nothing you will hit it every time."

The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

Also, I often tell myself that I don't have to like it, but I have to do it.

Good luck!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    get up and do it first thing before you start talking yourself out of it
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to lose 50 pounds, but I have tried that too many times to believe it will ever happen. SO... I have set a new goal to do something that will lead to better health and weight loss. I am training to run a 5k on August 25th.

I ran 2.5 miles on an indoor track in 30 minutes this morning, and then I ran highway and gravel 2.9 miles outdoors after noon. The outdoor run took 44 minutes, but were there ever HILLS! I have such a long way to go to get this down to 30 minutes, but I paid my 35 dollars, a friend of mine is going to do the bike ride part, and my daughter is going to swim. It is actually a team triathlon AND I DON'T want to let them DOWN!

There is an excellent app for Ipad, Ipod, or android phones. It is called c25k. Check this out and then do a google search for 5k runs and triathlons near you!
  • septemberangel15
    septemberangel15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wearing a pedometer?

I found that when I wear it, I'm a little more aware of my bad habits and I start to do things that push the numbers up a bit, such as taking the stairs, parking the car farther away so that I have to walk a bit more to my destination etc. It's good motivation for me.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I love Chalene Johnson's quote: "Don't expect less from yourself, expect more from yourself." For some reason, this always inspires me.

Make working out a part of your daily routine. Eventually you'll look forward to it so much that you are bummed out when you miss a day. Working out is probably the best part of my day.
  • QueChulaYo
    Options
    :smile: Accomplishments start with the decision to TRY!!!! :smile:
  • glennglom
    Options
    I have a couple things that I keep in mind:

1. I have never wanted to be avarage
    Let me expain how I define average. When you are average you are the top of the bottom and the bottom of the top. I short you are the cream of the crap.

2. Procratination is opportunities natural assassin and it is the fertalizer that makes difficulties grow.

I'm 50 yrs old and I still get up at 4am to get in my workout and properly prepare for each day! I try to get in bed by 10pm just to get rested.

Glenn
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Look around for motivation- its not hard to find. In my husbands office a 51 year old died 3 days ago. Not long before someone days from retirement passed- he was only 61. He has a few ppl in his office with cancer and they are under 45. (he works in a big office - I do not) and I am on average 15-20 years younger than these ppl- however I dont want to be dead in 20 years from a heart attack like the 51 one year old or have cancer if I can help it. (I know we cant always)

I work out and eat right to maintain my health. Life is too short to go to the grave without a fight! Id rather fight this way and enjoy it then fight scared and fear its too late.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win.
    Tom Fleming
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    To achieve something you've never had, you must do what you've never done.
  • GeorgiaBryan
    Options
    When I'm running and I want to stop and walk I always say this to myself...
    "Discipline is about choosing between what you want right NOW and what you want MOST"
    It sounds silly but it always works!
    Good luck :)
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    "Just go for 10 minutes. You can certainly do 10 minutes." I used to say this ALL THE TIME, and fully give myself permission to just go for 10 minutes. Guess what? I never once just did 10 minutes. In fact, I always did my normal, full workout once I got there, and often had some of my best times/workouts. But I always got through it by doing the 10 and then said, well, you can do 5 more minutes...etc...until the whole time was up.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I saw this on a fellow mfp's page.

"Running sucks but I like it."

This goes with every exercise. In all honesty, if I can magically have strength and weight loss I'd accept! I don't love working out, but it's something I HAVE TO DO if I want a healthy life and positive self - image. Excuses get in the way of being the best that you can possibly be. Sometimes you have to just shut up, stop thinking, and go for it. It's a pain in the *kitten* getting ready for the gym, and going down there, but once I'm there everything seems better. I only regret the days I don't go versus the days I do. You can do it. I can do it, We can all do it! Just GO AND DO!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just don't give myself the choice or ask the question of whether I want to....because the answer will ALWAYS be ABSOLUTELY NOT! I just get up in the morning and do it. I can't think about it too much or I won't do it because I don't want to, never have, never will no matter how many people hand out motivational platitudes and try to convince me that I will love it once I start. Well, no I won't....I can't wait for that to happen because I honestly do not believe it ever will! I have to do it anyway because my goal is more important to me than my present comfort. If I wait for the "excitement" to happen or use energy uselessly trying to force myself to like something or act like I like something that I have hated since FOREVER, I am wasting energy that is better spent just getting it done and over with as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can move onto the rest of my day and things I actually enjoy. But I try to do it first thing before I get distracted with other things and worn out by daily activities. If you are always tired when you think of exercising, you may be choosing the wrong time of day. First thing in the morn works for me, when I am fresh but if you are a night owl that comes alive when the sun goes down, do it then. But if you are trying to squeeze it in between getting off work and going to bed and you are just beat from the day, that is NOT the best time for you. Find the time that your body is rested and full of energy, set the time and just stick to it, no matter how you feel about it from day to day. That's the only way I can get through it.