What's Next?? At home workout programs

Options
I am in need of some help...lately I have been getting bored with my workouts and feel like my body is getting used to them so I am no longer seeing a change in my body. It's time to switch it up but the problem is I don't know what to do now!

I love beachbody workout programs, I have been doing them since I started with MFP March 2011. They seem to be what works for me (working out in my own house, etc) I have a range of free weights at my house, pull up bars, etc. I also have acess to a small community gym with cardio equitment. So I have done p90x, p90x2, insanity, insanity asylum, turbo fire, and chaleane extreme. Recently I have been doing a hybrid of all these workouts but I have not seen a change in awhile.

My goals are to maintain my weight, lower my body fat % by 5% and increase my endurance. All suggestions welcome ! :) Thanks!!!

Replies

• HeinzPrincess
    Options
    I am just finishing week 1 of turbofire! Love it! Have you tried any Jillian Michaels? 30 Day Shred is cheap and extremely effective.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Start running and New Rules of Lifting for Women? :)
    Spinning?
  • nymami
    nymami Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    have you tried Les Mills Pump to add more muscle along with doing your cardio? i have met my goal weight and working on maintaining also. i am trying this myself and i have seen a small change and its been about 2 weeks.
  • TheNewBlair
    Options
    Try the Butt Bible, it's not cardio but all three levels upper and lower are pretty good workouts.
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    have you tried just using your weights to lose the body fat percentage? You can lift to gain, lose, and tone up. It's all about the amount of weight and reps.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing week 1 of turbofire! Love it! Have you tried any Jillian Michaels? 30 Day Shred is cheap and extremely effective.

She's done p90x, insanity, turbofire, etc. I doubt 30 Day Shred is going to do anything for her as it is a complete beginner program.

OP, sounds like you should look into a heavy lifting program. Have you looked into NROLFW? Seems pretty popular around here.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Do a search in youtube, there masses of clips to choose from.
    Also body rock looks pretty intense if you want to try something new.

I know you like to work out at home, but have you ocnsidered something thats not as structured?
    I'm thinking maybe a sport or rock climbing. You might find you'll be using completely different muscles..
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has lots of good DVDs. I'd say the 30 Day Shred is the "beginner" version but there are others that are more advanced for people who are used to exercising. They include Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism, Ripped In 30, No More Trouble Zones, Killer Buns and Thighs.

Most of them are classed as circuit training or Jillian herself describes it as HIIT and are a mixture of strength work, cardio and ab exercises.

Banish Fat is more cardio based.

I do most of my exercise at home and I'd recommend these if you want a change to what you've been doing. :smile:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    maybe incorporate kettlebells??.....I'm not expert.....but I just know that I have some friends who work out harcore.....and they started kettlebells and it worked muscles they didn't know about......their statuses about how sore they were were funny....
  • alanaosu
    alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym - Mark Lauren

Bodyrock

Nike Training App

I do all of the above at home and also have Insanity and most of Jillian Michaels workouts.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just bought P90X2. i'll let you know in a few weeks how it's going. in the meantime, have you tried P90X?
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help!

I have the new rules of weight lifting book...maybe I should get into that, I think I will also look into some other options

Two questions:

-Bodyrock...for people that do this, do you have a plan/pattern or do you just randomly select the workouts she has.. I would love to do her workouts but I need a plan! lol

-Jillian Micheals DVDs, I've done many of her programs before I did insanity/p90x/etc...I would consider beachbody programs "harder" than Jillian Micheals. So would it be going backwards to re do some of her workouts if I've already completed more intense programs?
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of Cathe Freidrich's workouts? Her stuff is pretty advanced cardio and weight training.

Kelly Coffee-Myer is another good instructor.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i am also thinking of what to do next, I am thinking about Tapout XT.
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    Although someone already said that the JM workouts are "easy" and if you've done the afore-mentioned Beachbody programs, you wouldn't see any results ... I disagree. I have done Turbo Fire for over two years, and P90x, and like you mentioned kind of do a "hybrid" of all the workouts/routines, as well as 5-7 mile runs twice a week. I also add in 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat / Boost Metabolism, and No More Trouble Zones (which is AWESOME for toning!) and see major results even though I'm already at my "goal" weight and happy with where I am. I guess it all depends on what your goals are! For me, I am happy maintaining, not building more muscle than I already have, and just being HEALTHY. I don't want to gain any weight, so a mix of all these workouts keeps me where I need to be!
    thanks for all the help!

I have the new rules of weight lifting book...maybe I should get into that, I think I will also look into some other options

Two questions:

-Bodyrock...for people that do this, do you have a plan/pattern or do you just randomly select the workouts she has.. I would love to do her workouts but I need a plan! lol

-Jillian Micheals DVDs, I've done many of her programs before I did insanity/p90x/etc...I would consider beachbody programs "harder" than Jillian Micheals. So would it be going backwards to re do some of her workouts if I've already completed more intense programs?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    TAPOUT XT!!!!!!

LOVE this program!

O, and ME! lol I am trying to get "into the biz" and uploaded my first HIIT workout on YouTube! Check it out, it's intense!

http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Since you did all of these programs, what advice do you have for people picking between them? I am 2/3 done with ChaLean Extreme, have P90x but didn't start it. Does it make sense to follow ChaLean with P90x? I mix in extra cardio with Jillian, Bob Harper, running, etc. Would love your thoughts after the programs you tried!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Crossfit!!!???!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    maybe incorporate kettlebells??.....I'm not expert.....but I just know that I have some friends who work out harcore.....and they started kettlebells and it worked muscles they didn't know about......their statuses about how sore they were were funny....

I'll second kettlebells. They offer a serious workout! http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast

Make sure to go heavy, though. None of this 5 or 10 lb stuff. An average woman should probably start with an 18 lb bell and for someone more fit like yourself probably a 25. Take your time and learn to do the exercises properly as well. There are lots for books & videos available, including more and more free stuff on the web. They are also starting to turn up in health clubs all over, so you could potentially go to the gym and learn the exercises if you feel the need.