Lacking motivation slash willpower

Options

Replies

• venetianz
    venetianz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon 3 months ago after my operation. I couldnt workout but i could eat healthy, I chose not to eat healthy and because i was couch bound for 6 weeks, i gained 7kg.

Ive been planning to start tomorrow, and tomorrow never came for 3 months. until just yesterday i decided that, i WILL just do it. If i cant eat healthy its fine but i will work out for 30 minutes each day, even if it is playing ball with my daughter for 30 minutes. but I will do it.

I want this, i want to be proud of myself, I want to write on Success Stories and say I have been working out for 6 straight weeks without falling off the wagon.

I think most of us need to shift our focus. From the numbers on the scale to the amount of time we invest in changing the numbers on the scale. Someone also adviced me to just not buy unhealthy foods, since i will attack with full force those cheese puffs, so i dont buy them.

Try it
  • cynfee00
    cynfee00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your posts is totally me and exactly where I am right now!
    We can all help one another with encouragement and support! We can and WE WILL DO THIS!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Willpower comes from within you. No one can give it to you. You have to find your own strength and learn to tap into it.

You have it within you.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who actually had something constructive to say instead of just calling me lazy and fat. Friends are a great thing to have on here but I dont quite have the time to go through everyones diary everyday and congratulate them or whatnot. I dont want to just say "yay you were under" when you ate a lot of crap and it was a lousy day. I dont want to be a cheerleader for the sake of being one. I am willing to put in the effort but dont want to get made to feel like a lousy friend if I dont have the time to sit down and read everyone's diaries and status'.

There really is no need to be rude just because I have in my profile that I dont generally accept friend requests. I asked for help, yes, I did not ask to get insulted for my beliefs and what I do with my spare time. I am not a bad person because I dont want to spend hours poring over others diaries. I dont even spend that much time on my own.

I asked for tips on motivtaion, not tips on how to get friends. Tips for willpower, because mine is seriously lacking.

Thank you to those who have friend requested me, I have accepted and hopefully we can all band together and get rid of these pesky kgs!! Also - I know my diary has being terrible the past few weeks, that's why I need motivation to eat better and exercise more :smile:
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    Gently, I might offer that how you interact with people may well determine if others will invest the time and energy to interact or even care about what you need.

Your post was up for less than an hour before you edited it and complained that no one had rushed in to provide you with the positive strokes you demanded. And that half hour was at a time when people who have to work tomorrow are generally asleep.

I wish you the best.

With this - I forget that the majority of the people on here are in America, and would obviously be asleep when I am awake. Whoops.
  • letitgoscr
    letitgoscr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think one thing you can do is check your exercise and weight loss log...it helps me this am I took a look at an old WW tracker and saw aht last year at this time I was up 8 pounds from my current weight. I really haven't lost much but what I do know is that I can lose weight. So check out your logs and read your material...do you have a smart phone?:flowerforyou:
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    I think one thing you can do is check your exercise and weight loss log...it helps me this am I took a look at an old WW tracker and saw aht last year at this time I was up 8 pounds from my current weight. I really haven't lost much but what I do know is that I can lose weight. So check out your logs and read your material...do you have a smart phone?:flowerforyou:

I do, I have a Galaxy 2
  • tcrawford112
    Options
    It sucks. I was on the wagon for a good 4 months, fell off for a couple of months, got back on and not even 2 days later I have fallen off again. I have no willpower, if there are chips in the house I will eat them!!! I have put back on 3kg and I hate it, I can feel myself getting fatter and see it in my face. I dont want to end up back where I was so I need help! I now have 13kg to lose, and I am prepared to put in the effort and hard yards to lose it, I just need help. I need motivation to get on the treadmill/vibrate plate/kinect and exercise. Once I get started I am fine and keep on going, but it's just the initial getting on there and getting started.

As for the willpower thing, I need a LOT of help with that one.

All help is appreciated!!!!

Edit: Seriously?! Why does no one ever comment on my threads? Why must you all ignore me? Sorry I am not part of the cool kids group but I still deserve help, just like everyone else. :angry:

I hve the same problem. When i first started exercising it seemed like it took forever to start something but then i got in the hang of it anf it come like clockwork. I have fallen off the wagon myself and am having trouble getting started. Even though i have it in my head what i want to do andhow i want to do it, it is hard for me to start i off but once i pass that giant step of starting im sure it will come clockwork again. Just think to yourself whatit will be like after yo take that giant step and how easy it will be to continue. You will be feeling better about it all in no time. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough, and nobody can do that for you. Sounds tough but that's the way it is. And I can't keep chips in the house, b/c I will eat them:tongue:
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough, and nobody can do that for you. Sounds tough but that's the way it is. And I can't keep chips in the house, b/c I will eat them:tongue:

Chips are so fricken addictive. And I keep them in the house because my partner eats them and I'm not going to make him stop eating just because I inhale them hahahha it's terrible!! Although I found last night that I was too lazy to go upstairs to get them so in a way, my laziness was beneficial? Hahaha :happy:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You may get more of a response if you post a question, like "I'm having a hard time getting motivated, what motivates you?" or "i struggle with consistency and when I miss a few days i get lazy and want to give up. does anyone else experience this, and how do you handle it?". If you just come in with a rant about how you feel, it's hard for people to help you, we can't be sure what you want? Do you want sympathy? Advice? Someone to share a pint of ice cream with you? (mmmmm ice cream, lol) We can't really know unless you ask.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just read today that it takes about 40 days of exercising to actually enjoy it. I'm on day 1 and haven't exercised yet. I don't want to. But I want to change my body, and sitting on my butt isn't going to make a positive change. There are a lot of us who LOATHE exercising. I don't have any great advice for you (yet), but I know how you're feeling. The only exercise I have found that I actually enjoy is dancing games for my Wii. I LOVE the Michael Jackson Experience and the Just Dance games. I'm going to do one right now. Treadmill = BORING!!! Dancing = fun:-) Don't force yourself to do something you hate, just look outside the box for something you actually enjoy. As for willpower, don't consider yourself a failure if you eat something you wish you hadn't. Just start over again in the next minute.
  • eighthorses
    Options
    I could use a group of friends to help me with my motivation too. I ended up at the McDonald's drive through,at least I only got a kids meal. I am trying to lose 20 lbs before Christmas. I have had this goal for 2 years but have only managed to lose 5 pounds and then gain it right back. I am determined to see that scale go down this time. I am trying to keep a close eye on my nutrition as that seems to be the ticket to weight loss..
  • tommygirl2
    tommygirl2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the chips -- we buy chips that I dont like and he does -- like Sour Cream and Onion or Ranch. No Doritos allowed, unless they are Ranch, of course! This seems to work for me.
  • letitgoscr
    letitgoscr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying everyone!!!! moving forward and onwaard oky? no need to get stuck on drama!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who actually had something constructive to say instead of just calling me lazy and fat. Friends are a great thing to have on here but I dont quite have the time to go through everyones diary everyday and congratulate them or whatnot. I dont want to just say "yay you were under" when you ate a lot of crap and it was a lousy day. I dont want to be a cheerleader for the sake of being one. I am willing to put in the effort but dont want to get made to feel like a lousy friend if I dont have the time to sit down and read everyone's diaries and status'.

There really is no need to be rude just because I have in my profile that I dont generally accept friend requests. I asked for help, yes, I did not ask to get insulted for my beliefs and what I do with my spare time. I am not a bad person because I dont want to spend hours poring over others diaries. I dont even spend that much time on my own.

I asked for tips on motivtaion, not tips on how to get friends. Tips for willpower, because mine is seriously lacking.

Thank you to those who have friend requested me, I have accepted and hopefully we can all band together and get rid of these pesky kgs!! Also - I know my diary has being terrible the past few weeks, that's why I need motivation to eat better and exercise more :smile:

i don't think i saw anyone call you lazy or fat, or insult you in any way. you're jumping to conclusions because you're not hearing what you want to hear.

we've all suggested to expand your friends list because that is a way to become more motivated. helping to cheer people on can help to motivate yourself. as for will power there isn't any trick really.

i don't comment on every work out, days logged in, or completed diary of my friends. if i did, it would be the only thing i do!

here, read these articles, and see if anything clicks.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/06/always-dominate-monday/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/26/priorities/
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When you dont have any motivation or willpower, its time to get angry.

Anger and frustration are legitimate emotions that you do not have to apologize for. But when youve spent years being overweight, you find yourself repressing all the "ugly" emotions so people will be more likely to keep you around. (And we all know how healthy this is - rolls eyes). So we repress it and we repress it and we keep saying I Dont Care and quitting.

I dont care - is a lie. Or you wouldnt have to keep saying it over and over in your head.

Get mad.

Get mad that you let yourself get to this point.
    Get mad at the environments, talks and influences that led you to it.
    Get mad at the fact that you keep quitting and letting yourself down.
    Get mad cause you dont like being disappointed in yourself.
    Get mad cause you use 'no motivation' as a procrastination device or an excuse to still not do what you know you need to do.

Then forgive everyone and everything.

Take a deep breath.

Decide right now if you really want to turn yourself into the amazing machine you are meant to be.
    Decide if its what you want or if its just something you are being pressured into pretending to want.
    Decide if you are finally going to stick with it.

Then follow through on your promise to yourself.

be the one person that never lets you down ♥
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Maybe trying to reword your profile? You either want motivation or you don't. It's a two way street. Most people on the forum board are asking questions or needing info or having fun. The real motivation comes from within yourself and also from the relationships that you build through your friends - which you say you don't want! I wish you good luck!
    [/quote/]

Because I don't have time to do generic WTGs all day? I'm after a bit of advice, not a million friends? Am I not allowed to ask for help just because I don't have time to cheer the world.on for eating under their limit?

I suggest putting that for the name of the thread,, something like " I am lacking motivation and NEED HELP" that way people know what you are looking for.

Now as for motivation get out your measurements and look at what you have accomplished. Look at your before and during pictures. Search the message boards for others needing the same boost as you, for before and after pictures of other's success stories. If nothing works get out of the house and go for a walk
  • shellebelle87
    Options

i don't think i saw anyone call you lazy or fat, or insult you in any way. you're jumping to conclusions because you're not hearing what you want to hear.

we've all suggested to expand your friends list because that is a way to become more motivated. helping to cheer people on can help to motivate yourself. as for will power there isn't any trick really.

i don't comment on every work out, days logged in, or completed diary of my friends. if i did, it would be the only thing i do!

here, read these articles, and see if anything clicks.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/06/always-dominate-monday/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/26/priorities/

That's the thing though, I feel bad when I see that people comment on my diary and such and I feel guilty that I dont have time to flick through their's and make a positive comment. I feel like a bad friend and that I am taking but not giving.
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    When you dont have any motivation or willpower, its time to get angry.

Anger and frustration are legitimate emotions that you do not have to apologize for. But when youve spent years being overweight, you find yourself repressing all the "ugly" emotions so people will be more likely to keep you around. (And we all know how healthy this is - rolls eyes). So we repress it and we repress it and we keep saying I Dont Care and quitting.

I dont care - is a lie. Or you wouldnt have to keep saying it over and over in your head.

Get mad.

Get mad that you let yourself get to this point.
    Get mad at the environments, talks and influences that led you to it.
    Get mad at the fact that you keep quitting and letting yourself down.
    Get mad cause you dont like being disappointed in yourself.
    Get mad cause you use 'no motivation' as a procrastination device or an excuse to still not do what you know you need to do.

Then forgive everyone and everything.

Take a deep breath.

Decide right now if you really want to turn yourself into the amazing machine you are meant to be.
    Decide if its what you want or if its just something you are being pressured into pretending to want.
    Decide if you are finally going to stick with it.

Then follow through on your promise to yourself.

be the one person that never lets you down ♥

This is amazing! I have so many repressed emotions that I keep bottled up - perhaps that is why I always jump straight to anger? Instead of stopping and thinking about things? Thank you for this, I really appreciate it. :flowerforyou:

I definitely want to become a better version of myself, and I know that once I am happy with myself, I will be a much happier and calmer person to be around :smile: