Main dishes that wont break the bank or calorie bank

Options
So what is your favorite main dishes that are cheap and low in calories? :D

Replies

• Cms5227
    Cms5227 Posts: 13
    Options
    Do you want to cook (just a little) or eat out?
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love to make roasted vegetables and then have some grilled chicken either mixed in or on the side. Tonight I roasted eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and summer squash w/1tbsp olive oil & seasonings then added in a little grated romano cheese and then had some rotisserie chicken for protein. I couldn't finish what I made and it was only 500 calories.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Tilapia grilled with cajun spice rubbed on it. Garlic cauliflower (Birdseye) Salad with either chicken/tuna or shrimp in it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    cook :D though curious about eating out too
  • meeper123
    Options
    oh sounds wonderful
  • meeper123
    Options
    I love to make roasted vegetables and then have some grilled chicken either mixed in or on the side. Tonight I roasted eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and summer squash w/1tbsp olive oil & seasonings then added in a little grated romano cheese and then had some rotisserie chicken for protein. I couldn't finish what I made and it was only 500 calories.

wow! thats a lot see I feel hungery A LOT while dieting those are all foods I haave not had before are they easy to cook?
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    100 calorie soups!

Not sure of the website..... but you can google it. They are tasty, filling, low cal, and cheap!!! Plus, you put it all in the crock pot and leave it alone for hours! Plus, there's a few days worth of dinners!!

*Edited to add: I checked, it's fatsecret.com
  • meeper123
    Options
    is it filling?
  • kazey901
    kazey901 Posts: 33
    Options
    Turkey burgers!

I buy the butterball fresh ground turkey patties (4pk) for $4 at food lion. Either cook on grill or on stove. Eat with merita lite wheat buns (80 cal. a bun) and a tbsp of ketchup (15 cal). I think one patty is 130 calories.

Just one burger fills me up.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower cheese, yummy and low cal
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options

wow! thats a lot see I feel hungery A LOT while dieting those are all foods I haave not had before are they easy to cook?

Super easy! You can roast them in the oven at 375-400 for about 15-20min (depending on how much you have) otherwise tonight I cooked them on the stovetop and it took about 10-15 min, and they are great on the grill, just get a veggie roasting pan that you put on the grill and they usually take 15-30min depending on how much you are cooking just make sure you stir them a few times during cooking especially on the stovetop or grill. My mom likes to put balsamic vinegar in with the veggies too which is really good but I am watching my sugar intake so i don't put it on.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Turkey burgers!

I buy the butterball fresh ground turkey patties (4pk) for $4 at food lion. Either cook on grill or on stove. Eat with merita lite wheat buns (80 cal. a bun) and a tbsp of ketchup (15 cal). I think one patty is 130 calories.

Just one burger fills me up.

sounds great :D
  • meeper123
    Options

Super easy! You can roast them in the oven at 375-400 for about 15-20min (depending on how much you have) otherwise tonight I cooked them on the stovetop and it took about 10-15 min, and they are great on the grill, just get a veggie roasting pan that you put on the grill and they usually take 15-30min depending on how much you are cooking just make sure you stir them a few times during cooking especially on the stovetop or grill. My mom likes to put balsamic vinegar in with the veggies too which is really good but I am watching my sugar intake so i don't put it on.

awesome I must try it :D
  • meeper123
    Options
    Cauliflower cheese, yummy and low cal

I love it :D
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Some sort of grilled meat and veggies. Cheap,easy, healthy and filling
  • ashmorzone
    Options
    This is great! And only 300cals

Cajun chicken with sweet potato wedges & avocado salad 300cals
    • Serves 2
    • 10 min
    • 45 min
    • 300 Cal
    • 3/5
    Spices are such a great way to add flavour and variety to dishes, without adding unnecessary calories. A simple chicken breast can taste so different just by varying the spices used. Say goodbye to bland, tough old chooks, spice things up…in the kitchen I mean!!!
    Here I use the powerful cajun spice, which goes beautifully with chicken and sweet potato. Enjoy!
    Method
    Preheat oven to 200C.(392 F)
    Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place the sweet potato wedges on one tray and lightly spray with oil spray.
    Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
    Coat the chicken breast in the spice mix. Place the chicken breast on the remaining tray.
    Lightly spray with oil spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and just cooked through.
    Meanwhile, combine the cherry tomatoes, avocado and spinach leaves in a small bowl.
    Cut the chicken into slices. Divide the sweet potato wedges, chicken and avocado salad among serving plates. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.

Ingredients
    • 400g (14oz) small sweet potato, peeled, cut into wedges
    • 1 × 200g (7oz) chicken breast fillet
    • 1 teaspoon Cajun spice mix
    • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 1/2 small avocado, chopped
    • 100 g baby spinach leaves
    • Lemon or lime wedges, to serve
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    This might sound a little weird but I used to eat this when I was in a rush sometimes. There are different low fat Mexican style soups you can buy and serve over rice for a cheap and quick main dish.

I cook the rice in advance. I find this is a good meal for when I am going out after work and just going home for a quick meal.

Usually I can get 2 servings from one can.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    check out the following websites, a lot of them use a lot of the same ingredients so you can switch it up, and so far everything I've tried to make has been delish! I've also found that I can modify by adding/taking out/substituting ingredients

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.dashingdish.com
    undressedskeleton.tumblr.com

I made sausage stuffed zucchini boats tonight, the way I made it it was around 330 cals a boat and that was plenty to fill me up!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do a lot with eggs. Scrambled eggs, sauteed onions/peppers(from my garden) in a tortilla wrap, or in a bowl without the wrap lol. I've just started trying to make omelets, the flipping is work in progress.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Make sure to work some protein in. That will be what fills you and keeps you feeling full. I love a good veggie soup with beans. Cheap, low calorie, and fills you up.