Runners - why do you race?

Options

Replies

• MJMARIN81
    Options
    Its the only competive sport I can do at my age. Growing up I always was in sports but once we get older there is no little league for aldults. Racing gives me that sense of competition. I hope to take my age group some day but if not I will at least try.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Strictly for the carrot! Without that goal in front of me, I'm afraid I'd slack off on my training because there are always other things that need to be done... sleep, housework, etc. If I'm working toward that goal, I'm out there 3x a week with purpose.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    same reasons as you, basically: I like the structure of training plans. And I need the push of a race at the end to keep me motivated, I think. And of course once you know the great feeling you have after a race, you want to keep experiencing that again and again.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my last two races to prove to myself that I could run a 5K. I'm sure I'll do more in the future as well. I tend to have a better pace during races because I get competitive with the other slow runners (I run about a 12-13 minute mile on my own and between 11-12 in a race) and yeah, the tshirts don't hurt either!

I guess it is more validating that I can run than just going on my own.
  • tfraley10
    Options
    In 2005 my best friend and I got drunk and signed up for a marathon. I absolutely fell in love with it. It keeps me in shape, keeps me sane, and keeps me focused. I keep on re-evaluating what I think my best time could be. I want to break 3:10 eventually, but then I'll probably want to see if I can break 3 hours. If I ever hit that, I think I would be happy jogging them for the rest of time :)

That's probably the most interesting "How I got into running" story I've heard.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i have only done 1 race, and for me it was just something i wanted to do because i was never a runner and i wanted to say i did it, now its about beating my time and trying to better myself! my second race is in october cant wait!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Keeps me running. I sign up for races to help me have a goal. I could just run, which I like to do, but races give me something to look forward to. Plus a race is a chance to gauge your progress. Typically races are for a good cause so why not run as fast as you can while doing it. Also, look at races as a networking opportunity. Not necessarily during but before and after. It's just fun.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Adrenaline, and knowing that i can improve for each race. It also gives me a reason to not be shy, and at my last race, i had people complimenting me on how i was up and running 5ks at only 6 months post partum (most didn't realize that it was my 3rd 5k). It also give me confidence to know that I can do something with my life (i have a low self esteem that is getting better), and usually the causes are awesome! Also the traveling to different towns :) Am training for 2 that are coming up next month, the Alexa Brown Memorial Run (its in the town over from us) and the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure Northwest Ohio in Toledo (of which I am nervous for).
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    ...i need goals to work towards, signing up ahead of time for races keeps me motivated! Plus I like the medals...lol :tongue:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I race for sh!ts and giggles.

Really.

Now, it took me a long time to sign up for my first race. I ran for five or six years before I finally signed up for a 5k, a local Turkey Dash on Thanksgiving Day. I was like the OP, thinking I was slow and racing didn't really matter for slow pokes.

I had so. much. fun! Racing is such a great atmosphere! There's lots of hype and you usually run faster for a race than you do during training, just impressing yourself at the end lol And it's highly unlikely that you'll be the slowest one there.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I do the 5k park run on saturday and it seems like hell when doing it but feels so much better at the end and we all have a great ome

I do those too, when I am not working early shifts that is lol.

I love Parkruns.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    5K and 10K...For the medals.

Anything over, just to get out.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Its the only competive sport I can do at my age. Growing up I always was in sports but once we get older there is no little league for aldults. Racing gives me that sense of competition. I hope to take my age group some day but if not I will at least try.
    You should look into soccer. I know there are recreational leagues in my town for over 35 and over 45 players. There's an over 45 league who plays at around the same time as my son and it's a lot of fun to watch a bunch of 50-70 year old men running around the soccer field having a great time.
  • bekah1301
    bekah1301 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would have bothered doing races but I entered the race for life with some friends and got a pretty good time - so the next year I wanted to beat it. Now I race to see if I can beat my own times, winning would be amazing but I don't expect that, position is a bonus, I just want to better myself!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I race for the competion between both myself and the clock and the other runners. Racing gives me a goal and a reason to train. I want to become a faster and better runner.

Also, it's just fun! Being around all the people and the exitement.

This!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    fancy doing the park run on saturday?

I'm away, but I could do next weekend. :-)

Sorry to bump in on this, but I noticed you were based in the midlands...Is it the Swad parkrun (Conkers) that you do, or the Nottingham (Colwick) one? I'd really like to run a Parkrun, and those are my two options, I'm just really nervous about entering one really as I'm still pretty slow running wise, and I don't know anything about either of the courses terrain wise. Are they mainly on pavement, or is there some grass?

As for me, I've signed up for a 10k in October, it'll be my first race but I can see myself signing on for more. Really, the race has given me a 'goal' to reach for, which is always nice to think about when training during the week!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing races that support local or national causes.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm a really slow runner, so I know I'm never going to be a strong performer in races. But I've enjoyed the handful of races that I have done.

The main reason I sign up for a race is that it keeps me focused, and supports my day by day, week by week running, giving some structure to my training plan, and exerting a nice amount of pressure to push myself forward. I'm not very competitive, but I do enjoy the experience of being *in* a race, with lots of other runners.

Why do you participate in races?

I'd have to agree with you on that. I'm doing it for myself, just to prove that I *CAN* do something when so many people have told me it's impossible. I'm still trying to even get to my first race, but I can't wait for it because I know if I finish, I'll want to keep going, maybe to bring up my time, maybe because I'll really enjoy that first big run. But whatever it is, I will continue to love running no matter what. It really helps me relieve a lot of stress and tension and it's also helped me focus my way through a panic attack.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    to keep up with the girl in the yoga pants
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I race

a) to challenge myself
    b) to gauge my progress
    c) to beat people