Accuracy of My HRM

Options
I have a Polar FT4. My average heart rate was 165 my max was 182. I ran a total of 5 miles in 47 minutes with an average speed of 6.5 miles per an hour (9:16 min/mile). I use Map My Run to track this and know it is accurate. I am 5'3, 115 and 23 years old and a female ( I guess that parts obvious) My HRM said I burned about 550 calories during this time.

However I did not run 5 miles straight. There were a few times I had to stop and catch my breath (the longest was about 5 minutes when I stopped to chug a water) and maybe a couple of other times where I paused to fix my chest strap, tie my shoe etc...I only stopped completely maybe 4 times during the run and it was never for very long.

I paused MapMyRun during the times I was just walking or stopped completely because I only want to track my actual jogging/running speed. I only paused my HRM when I was completely stopped so it was on when I was just walking. There is about a 10 minute difference between my HRM time and my MapMyRun time meaning I walked for about 10 minutes for the hour I was out running and ran for 45 minutes.

That's probably more details then you needed to know but I wanted to make sure you knew exactly so you could give me a better idea. MapMyRun says I burned 350 calories, as I said above my HRM said 550 and MFP pretty much agree s with that give or take a few.

So my question is how accurate is my HRM? Did I really burn 550 calories or did I burn closer to 350 as MapMyRun claims?

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping my own post to see if someone know the answer to this!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too. My HRM consistently tells me Higher cal burn than my apps, runkeeper, bridge210k, and MFP. I'm talking an average of 300 calories. I reprogrammed my HRM twice to show my weight loss. I've always just logged the lower calorie burn to be conservative. But I've been at a plateau since July 2. :grumble:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That's what I burn although in an hour of keeping my hearrate at your same levels. I am 41 yrs old 5'5" and 165lbs though.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Try using this:

http://nutritionfirstfitness.com/tools.php?tool=running

Input your actual running time and actual distance. I find it's pretty accurate for me.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Map my run ALWAYS gives me a really low burn. For me around a 100 calorie difference. I have always gone by what my hrm says. HRM is pretty much around the same numbers every day for my 3 mile walk. I use map my run to track my miles only.
  • reeseph0enix
    reeseph0enix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    isn't that the idea of the HRM, that its more accurate because its actually using your individual data (age, weight and heart rate) to calculate the calorie burn? whereas mapmyrun and other apps are more generic and just use general data?
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Also, it doesn't necessarily matter that you took a few breathers during your workout. It goes off your heart rate and the length of time you exercise. It also accounts for your age, weight and height.

Your heart rate monitor should be accurate!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Check this thread out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

since you covered some distance while the App was paused, I would expect the HRM to be more accurate since you were burning calories. If I were you, I would probably only eat back the 350 cals this time, and do a walking test like is suggested in the thread above to judge the accuracy of the HRM for you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are accurate (i.e. 5 miles in 47 min) and you are not counting any of the "stopped" time in either your mileage or minutes total, according to the ACSM predication equations, you burned ~450 calories. That would certainly be consistent with your weight and effort level. That number is likely more accurate than either mapmyrun or your HRM. (Although, given the standard of error and the fact that you left your HRM running, the actual difference is probably not that great.