I'm scared to eat clean!!!!

Options
Okay, so maybe a little dramatic. I'm more intimidated by the thought of throwing out all the convenience foods/drive thru's/etc. It overwhelms me to come up with fun, easy to make snacks, side dishes and dinners that are healthy. It doesn't help that I've eaten pre-packaged junk for most of my life, so even though I know it's bad for me, it's still comfort and familiarity that wins out over the effort of fully changing my lifestyle.

I have changed some major things since joining MFP though, so all is not lost on me. Instead of drinking nearly 2 liters of soda a day, most days I have none or maybe half a 12 ounce can. I no longer buy twinkies, ho-ho's, zingers or other packaged cakes. I don't even keep sweets in the house, so these are BIG improvements for me.

However, when it comes to driving thru, I'm a big weenie! You should see me at dinner time, sweating and fretting over what to make for my family. It just isn't natural for me to eat healthy, but I WANT IT TO BE!!!! I need help, seriously, with ideas for meal planning, how to incorporate more veggies, and just plain motivation! I want to be healthy, not just skinny, for my family. I also want my boys to grow up with a good example so they don't have to go through this like I am.

When it comes to serving veggies, I tend to go with raw or steamed and my kids are not liking that, and I'm don't really like cooking something that no one eats. I hate looking at my diary for several days in a row and not seeing a single veggie or fruit!!!! I need help... or a personal chef. :laugh:

Replies

• fltwins918
    fltwins918 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a clean eating cookbook out if you need recipe ideas. I like to use onceamonthmom.com for some different ideas too... it is a freezer cooking site with diet meal plans,whole foods, gluten free, traditional, etc... You do a lot of cooking in a day or over a weekend and then freeze it... easy throw in the oven/crockpot meals! The site even includes instructions, shopping lists, and labels.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How about if you use recipes from some place like skinnytaste.com to get you started on recipes and ideas? It will take some of the scariness out of figuring out how to make healthy substitutes for things your family loves.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is terrible about eating vegetables when I make them! I've heard about a lot of people that use a food processor to cut up veggies into small pieces and then just mixing them into whatever you're making for dinner!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Eating clean doesn't always mean faster weight/fat loss.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy eating clean because it gives me so much energy and makes me feel great.
    What I usually do is just look up healthy recipes online, from anywhere, count the calories and eat portions that are right for me. I'm not afraid to save food as leftovers for later.
    The "recipe" message board on MFP is great for finding healthy, low-cal food, but Google-ing "healthy recipes" or "healthy lunch" or something like that works just as well.

Good luck! :)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

Eating clean should not be use just to lose weight. You can eat as clean as you want but you will not lose weight if you eat more than you should. Eating clean is about longevity and good health in general.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Check out www.100daysofrealfood.com. Its a great site with lots of reicpes, and lots of info for someone just starting out. Most of their foods are family friendly since they have 2 small kids themselves.

And don't try to do it all at one, you've made a great start, just keep doing what you're doing. Its not an easy change to make overnight.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This.

If you are scared or intimidated or w/e than don't do it. Do what you will stick with. If you want to get there do it slowly don't just jump over board with out knowing how to swim.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Holy Cats! I know how you feel, but I gotta tell ya... I started buying Clean Eating Magazine and I have found some absolutely FABULOUS recipes that even my picky 14 year son will devour! Super good for you foods with most recipes using ingredients you typically have around the house... okay, with some exceptions like quinoa, and sucranat, but I if I don't know what they are, I try them or I don't make that recipe.

My absolute favorite was on the cover last month... Honey Mustard Chicken with Roasted Bell Peppers. I serve it with Brown Rice and it is fantastic!

The magazine even has sections that give you a weekly shopping list and a break down of how much each meal per serving costs... so they even try to make eating clean and healthy affordable.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BOM = bell peppers/onions/mushrooms. These veggies are extremely healthy and delicious in stir fry. Then put around them maybe broccoli or eggplant or peas, string beans...and then add 1 fake meat package/tofu (if you are me). Put in stir fry pan, maybe invest in something that cooks next to the stove, makes it easier). Use only a little bit of oil of your choice (olive, canola etc). Put on it Mrs. Dash, onion powder and try not to use salt. Use siracha hot sauce on it. I do this almost every night right now. It is easy peasy.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to pre-plan your meals for the week ahead of time. Take an hour or two over the weekend, sit down and literally right out "lunches, snacks, dinner" for each day... or make 7 variety's and pick which one you feel like that night. It takes the worry out of it and it gives you time to look up some recipes or cooking techniques ahead of time.

As for veggies and the kids... nothing wrong with steamed! Try adding some light seasoning and some cheese (not cheese sauce, but grated cheese. It's a great source of calcium and vitamins especially for kids). In my family we love "one pot wonders" where we kinda just throw everything together once they are cooked (or just cook them together even)... throw it on the plate and there you go. The most basic recipe is this:

pick a meat (chicken, ground turkey, ground hamburger, stew meat)
    pick either pasta, rice, or neither. (go for the whole wheat and measure ahead of time for serving size)
    pick your veggie (mixed, broccoli, grean beans, peas... we are really tight financially so for us this is pretty much always frozen)
    pick some seasonings (italian garlic and salt/pepper, seasoned salt, paprika, etc... base it off of your meat)
    throw it all together, sprinkle some cheese on top and volia! Or add in a little bit of terryaki sauce and you've got a stir fry.

We've also called this pig slop... because our experiments have often came out looking... interesting. But it was always delicious!

Good luck and take this time to HAVE FUN! Try new things, or different ways of cooking.

My final suggestion... get a george forman grill. They are fairly cheap nowadays, even for a "family sized" one. Once you get your timing done it is a QUICK (cooks both sides at once, cooking time is in half) delicious way to cook your meat or to grill some veggies (zucchini!)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    This may not be the best idea for this time of year, but one of the easiest ways to cook veggies is to roast them (plus it makes veggies that I don't like other ways taste great!) Potatoes, carrots, zucchini, peppers, onions, brussel sprouts all taste great just being cooked in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and a little pepper. Grilling works better this time of year too -- corn, squash/zucchini, sweet potatoes sliced thinly...

If you have a crock pot, it is really easy to cook a chicken in it as well -- just rub a few spices on (thyme, rosemary, oregano or basil) and cook on low all day. You can even throw some potatoes/carrots in with it (the other vegetables probably wouldn't be able to take the long cooking time).

I completely agree with taking it one step at a time too.
  • caryrules
    Options
    if you steam your veg, add enough seasoning to bring out the flavor. salt and pepper are friends. try an unseasoned spoonful then adding a shake of salt on a spoonful. you'll see the improvement immediately.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Eating clean should not be use just to lose weight. You can eat as clean as you want but you will not lose weight if you eat more than you should. Eating clean is about longevity and good health in general.

But the thing is you don't have to eat clean for good health.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Starty by eating cleaner.. then cleaner..then cleaner. Why does it have to be an all or nothing?
  • Missy8856
    Options
    Bump
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Clean Eating magazine. They even offer recipes online. I have a lot to learn, but I have discovered that I can eat nutrient-dense food that really satisfies my taste buds and is really good for me.

I would make smaller amounts so that you don't have to toss out stuff that's not getting eaten. Keep offering it to the kiddos. You're exposing them to a different way of eating and kids often need to see new foods a few times before they try anything new.

I was a little intimidated at first to try some of the recipes because the ingredients seemed unusual to me. Tomorrow we will have haddock (a cold-water fish), simply prepared, and I have never had that before in my life. Gradually, I am making small changes that I am comfortable with in hopes of improving my health. I feel better already although it's been such a short time. Go for it! Hope you do well with your new eating habits :)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Get a subscription to the Healthy Cooking magazine from Taste of Home, or google it to read ideas online. They put together tons of simple and usable recipes for the whole family. I love this magazine. If memory serves, it evens includes a week meal plan with shopping list. The nice thing about having the magazine, is that your family can help pick out ones they are interested in trying.

I also second SkinnyTaste.com. Gina has boatloads of recipes with great photos, and they are full of flavor.

Also, search the recipes on here. Lots of good ones.

But, start small. Try these things, to ease into healthier options.

1. Find fruit and veggies you and your family enjoy, and have them as a snack option. Use cottage cheese or yogurt as a dip. (My family loves plain greek yogurt mixed with dry ranch dressing mix. Heck, I use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream and no one notices.)

2. Plan ahead. It is easy to use a crock pot, and prep meals ahead so you don't panic come dinner time. This also applies to lunch.

3. Swap out items for healthier options. I stopped buying standard yogurt, for greek to get more protein.

4. Monitor portion sizes. If you just can't live without something, add it in, with moderation.

Good luck!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Pinterest has lots of great ideas. While it may not be the most appropriate method of cooking for the summer, crock pots are awesome! You can just throw a bunch of stuff in before work, and it is magically ready and delicious by dinner time. Another thing i use to cook healthy food is the George Foreman grill. That thing is a life saver, and it traps all the grease out of your meats. The George is also awesome for making paninis on 9 grain bread.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This. Eating clean has little to no affect on weightloss. If you don't want to, don't.