I'm scared to eat clean!!!!

Options

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Eating clean doesn't always mean faster weight/fat loss.

Eating clean should not be use just to lose weight. You can eat as clean as you want but you will not lose weight if you eat more than you should. Eating clean is about longevity and good health in general.

But the thing is you don't have to eat clean for good health.

Eating clean is definitely healthier... Processed food is full of crap.. aka sodium, chemicals, refined sugars, artificial sweeteners, etc. Did you know that a can of mushrooms can pass FDA inspection and have up to 40 maggots in it? Disgusting. That alone is enough to make me want to stay completely away from canned/boxed and highly processed foods.

People who eat clean notice a huge difference in digestion, hydration, skin elasticity, body composition, muscle definition, etc. You can lose weight without eating clean.. but eating clean makes a huge difference is the way ur body feels.. literally. It'll be a lot less squishy. Especially if you have a lot of body fat to lose.

But again.. you don't have to throw it all out at once... just start eating cleaner. I don't eat completely clean but I definitely eat cleaner than i used to and I've seen great results.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is terrible about eating vegetables when I make them! I've heard about a lot of people that use a food processor to cut up veggies into small pieces and then just mixing them into whatever you're making for dinner!

this
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! It's so hard to change eating habits - especially when you have children that are picky eaters. I don't know how much food I've wasted trying to get him to eat healthier food. The one thing I've been able to do is add spinach to his smoothie - he hasn't figured it out yet. As for me, by the time I get home from work, I DON"T WANT TO COOK! Let me know if you find any EASY vegie recipes.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Get a subscription to the Healthy Cooking magazine from Taste of Home, or google it to read ideas online. They put together tons of simple and usable recipes for the whole family. I love this magazine. If memory serves, it evens includes a week meal plan with shopping list. The nice thing about having the magazine, is that your family can help pick out ones they are interested in trying.

I also second SkinnyTaste.com. Gina has boatloads of recipes with great photos, and they are full of flavor.

Also, search the recipes on here. Lots of good ones.

But, start small. Try these things, to ease into healthier options.

1. Find fruit and veggies you and your family enjoy, and have them as a snack option. Use cottage cheese or yogurt as a dip. (My family loves plain greek yogurt mixed with dry ranch dressing mix. Heck, I use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream and no one notices.)

2. Plan ahead. It is easy to use a crock pot, and prep meals ahead so you don't panic come dinner time. This also applies to lunch.

3. Swap out items for healthier options. I stopped buying standard yogurt, for greek to get more protein.

4. Monitor portion sizes. If you just can't live without something, add it in, with moderation.

Good luck!
    Some good advice here! I was going to say about planning ahead and using a crock pot. I set up a whole chicken this morning for myself. It's more or less boiled with some veggies - I'll use the liquid to make soup later that will include the chicken, some veggies and maybe some lentils or other beans.

I often try to cook on the weekend some things I can microwave, at least for the first part of the week so I'm not hungry when I get home and needing 2 hours to prepare a particular dish.

I don't know how "clean" this is, but when I'm in a pinch, I will buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket deli, microwave some corn on the cob (in the husks) and maybe some other veggie. I'll have some fruit for dessert. I use the left over chicken to make other things like to top salad (buying the salad that's already if pressed for time), fried brown rice (not really with lots of oil though, but throwing in some egg whites, peas and maybe pineapple, a little soy sauce for flavor).

Have you tried making veggies - steamed or grilled - and maybe using some balsamic vinegar? That's something I love and your kids might go for the veggies if they've got some more flavor. Great on things like green beans or asparagus. I haven't tried it on many others.

Stir-fries are something you could do if you plan ahead. I like to chop of veggies and meat on the weekend so the prep work is done when I get home. All that's left to do is the few minutes of cooking. If I buy lots of chicken, I'll cut it up and freeze some of it ready to thaw and sautee.

I don't eat clean in the sense that I have excluded all condiments, like soy sauce, but I cook most of my food from scratch now and it's so worth it compared to buying pre-packaged, ready to eat foods. Just give it a try and be creative.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Starty by eating cleaner.. then cleaner..then cleaner. Why does it have to be an all or nothing?

Yeah.

You don't have to set a start date for this. Just start making small changes. Eventually you'll change everything.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    when I first started I bought the two biggest loser cookbooks, the orginal and then eventually the family cookbook. They both have really good recipes and I would just go through the book on Sunday and decide what I wanted to cook and shop for those ingredients. Took most of the guess work out of the process. Also too they make up for serving sizes so you are not wasting a lot of food. If the meal says serves 4 it will serve 4 and it has all the nutritional info with each recipe. I lived in a pretty rural area so had to sometimes modify the recipe for the ingredents I could find, but they all tasted good and my family all ate them with no fuss or fight. I found that having a good cookbook made starting a clean lifestyle easier. They cover all the topics too from breakfast to snacks and even desserts.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Maybe you could make 'clean' versions of the fast food you love: home made burgers don't have to be calorific, but are delicious. Home made pizza too - it's not too hard to make the dough, or you could use packaged bases for a quick meal. Or make your own potato chips coated in herbs/spices and baked with a small amount of oil.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a clean eating cookbook out if you need recipe ideas. I like to use onceamonthmom.com for some different ideas too... it is a freezer cooking site with diet meal plans,whole foods, gluten free, traditional, etc... You do a lot of cooking in a day or over a weekend and then freeze it... easy throw in the oven/crockpot meals! The site even includes instructions, shopping lists, and labels.

thanks =)
  • kafkat314
    Options
    I'd like to put in a plug for Saving Dinner or e-mealz. If you're stressing what to make, these are great. they provide weekly menus, shopping lists and recipes. also has frugal/slow cooker/freezer/vegetarian options. As a comparison, SD is more clean foods. The recommended sides are straight-forwsrd. It had the benefit of offering standard, low carb, low-fat and (i think) paleo options. EM uses more convenience items -cream of mushroom is the one I recall. The sides are more interesting than SD, while still simple. Also, it can be tailored to take advantage of specific grocery stores. I remember Wal-Mart because that was the only one that applied to me.

Ill also toss in a mention of Fresh 20. this one's gimmick is a weekly shopping list off only 20 items. it also included a price estimate.

My family's favorite is Saving Dinner for simple reason of our taste buds/palate. It slso had great instructions and I believe I am a better cook for it. While the bulk off their info is online, they also habe 2/3 hard copy books, too. I started with the first one and we actually made more than 90% of the recipes and only 2-3 were committee duds.

If you try one of these, I would .make a commitment to trying all of them. don't pick and choose unless absolutely necessary. you'll be surprised at what you like

eta: SD also has kosher variations, and I want to say I heard about some gf stuff too.

(I do like the sides better from EM)

if you decide to try one if these services
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I want to eat clean, I really do. I do NOT like vegetables, I love fruit. I just can't get myself to eat the veggies unless I have some kind of dip to go with them. I am going to focus on the amount I eat right now of what I do have, to learn and control myself with what I enjoy and hopefully down the road I will tie in more healthy options and set a good example for the kids and hubby. Baby steps for this chick, this change is happening slow and I'm okay with that :wink:
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    jenniferlthomas0305 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean and exercising for 59 days and I'm down 34lbs and 25 inches. I've NEVER been able to lose that much weight because of my PCOS! Keeping out all the chemicals, added sugars, added salts...etc has done wonders for me and between the healthy diet, exercise and weight loss, I'm feeling better than ever, my Type 2 Diabetes is under control and my hormones are getting back under control.

Tosca Reno definitely has some awesome recipes and tips, as does The Gracious Pantry. I use the Gracious Pantry most days at least once! I've also taken some recipes from such sites as allrecipes.com and different magazines and tweaked them to make them clean. The food is amazingly delicious and I will never again go back to boxed food.
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    jenniferlthomas0305 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I want to eat clean, I really do. I do NOT like vegetables, I love fruit. I just can't get myself to eat the veggies unless I have some kind of dip to go with them. I am going to focus on the amount I eat right now of what I do have, to learn and control myself with what I enjoy and hopefully down the road I will tie in more healthy options and set a good example for the kids and hubby. Baby steps for this chick, this change is happening slow and I'm okay with that :wink:

A lot of times when I make meatballs/meatloaf/stuffed peppers, anything with ground meat (i use turkey mainly), I use my food processor to process squash, carrots, peppers or whatever else you have in your crisper, and I mix them into the meat. It keeps it from being dry and you can't even taste the veggies. My husband can't tell when I do it :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

You could try making hummus as a dip... chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic. That's about it. Yum!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Eating clean doesn't always mean faster weight/fat loss.

Eating clean should not be use just to lose weight. You can eat as clean as you want but you will not lose weight if you eat more than you should. Eating clean is about longevity and good health in general.

But the thing is you don't have to eat clean for good health.

Eating clean is definitely healthier... Processed food is full of crap.. aka sodium, chemicals, refined sugars, artificial sweeteners, etc. Did you know that a can of mushrooms can pass FDA inspection and have up to 40 maggots in it? Disgusting. That alone is enough to make me want to stay completely away from canned/boxed and highly processed foods.

People who eat clean notice a huge difference in digestion, hydration, skin elasticity, body composition, muscle definition, etc. You can lose weight without eating clean.. but eating clean makes a huge difference is the way ur body feels.. literally. It'll be a lot less squishy. Especially if you have a lot of body fat to lose.

But again.. you don't have to throw it all out at once... just start eating cleaner. I don't eat completely clean but I definitely eat cleaner than i used to and I've seen great results.

I've noticed all those things and I eat processed crap all the time. I think its more psychological than anything when people choose to eat 'clean'.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It is necessary, unfortunately you're going to have to come to terms with it,

i was the same, but trust me after a while you will start looking at those kinds of food with disgust, and will only want something healthy.

You are what you eat, is a very true saying.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Inch by inch, it's a cinch. :wink:
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of veggies at all, but I've learned some really helpful tips-
    1. Put spinach in everything: smoothies, eggs, sandwiches and pitas
    2. Sometimes texture makes a difference. I hate "crunchy" veggies, but sautéed, I love peppers and onions, and throw them in eggs, tacos, etc.
    3. Make as much as you can ahead of time. Grill chicken, make big batches of soup or chili, pre-slice veggies. Bake whole chickens or pork roasts. Many meals that take minutes to put together.
    4. Plastic containers are your friends.

It's not always the easiest, but you'll feel so much better not eating crap. Good luck!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I was the same way as you a few years ago. What I did was meet myself in the middle - I'd make vegetable-based versions of the foods I craved. Sliced zucchini dipped in breadcrumbs and parmesan and baked became my new deep-fried cheese sticks. My previously meat-and-beans chili is now loaded with vegetables, sometimes even vegetarian. Potato chips became kale chips, milkshakes had Greek yogurt instead of ice cream, and so on, and so forth.
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know it can be daunting. I know it was for me. I still don't eat completely clean but it's definitely better now than my previous eating habits.

You don't have to go cold turkey.
    Pick at least one meal per day where you eat clean and go from there.
    Eat the "clean" foods that you do like and then discover others which you may like.
    Take one step at a time.
  • jayeh2005
    jayeh2005 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread and thanks for the info on the "Eating Clean" mag!

:happy: